British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Junior Challenge Meeting

I was pleasantly pleased.

I didn't expect such an excellent meeting, with excitement and passing throughout.

Was worth seeing.

Those that would normally attend Kings Lynn on a Wednesday night that weren't there missed out.

I'll echo all that, was a great night's racing and full credit to each and every one of those boys that took to the track. Made a pleasant change to watch some decent racing. Just a shame the meeting wasn't more well attended.

Good to see the Norwich grasstrack boys get a few laps in after the meeting too. :approve:

Edited by shooting star

As others have said, this wasn't just a bit good - this was a SUPERB meeting!! :approve:

Well done for KL for arranging this; and as Phil says. all 13 riders were a credit to themselves and to the sport.

Marc Owen put in an awesome display...: his "hunting down" and passing of riders showed a dimension to his riding I'd not really seen before, being used to our Sittingbourne mascot (yes, just 'on loan' to the Pocket Rockets tonight!! :wink: ) blowing the opposition away from the tapes!! :approve:

Richard Franklin was excellent too though yes, the supremely talented Oli Rayson was, of course, very unlucky in heat 15 not to get the win..

James Sarjeant executed a rare win from 15 metres as a TS and would've scored more but for a fall in his third ride. The maturity and assurance of Jake Knight to lead and then let James pass him for the Junior Stars second 8-1 of the night was heartening to see...: these lads are riding very maturely and demonstrating amazing team riding ability for youngsters who really should be inexperienced at that type of racing.

Ashley Morris also rode very well (first time I'd seen Ashley). Another Sittingbourne regular Rhys Naylor did an 'Owen' and twice passed opponents on his way to four points.

The Pocket Rockets, though, were worthy winners with Richard & Marc the stars but the four 'Jays' all pitching in: especially John Reisch who on this showing - and with a good position from the earlier rounds in his locker, could well be GB Under 15 champion by this time next month. If it can't be Marc I hope John can do it.

All round a superb night's Entertainment (with a capital 'E'!!). I actually live ten minutes from Arena Essex and could easily have gone to the Lakeside match tonite. But I'm delighted instead I took the 4 1/2 hour round trip to the Norfolk Arena coz this was a far better meeting than, frankly, I've EVER seen at the 'other' Arena..!!! :approve:

As others have said, this wasn't just a bit good - this was a SUPERB meeting!! :approve:

Well done for KL for arranging this; and as Phil says. all 13 riders were a credit to themselves and to the sport.

Marc Owen put in an awesome display...: his "hunting down" and passing of riders showed a dimension to his riding I'd not really seen before, being used to our Sittingbourne mascot (yes, just 'on loan' to the Pocket Rockets tonight!! :wink: ) blowing the opposition away from the tapes!! :approve:

Richard Franklin was excellent too though yes, the supremely talented Oli Rayson was, of course, very unlucky in heat 15 not to get the win..

James Sarjeant executed a rare win from 15 metres as a TS and would've scored more but for a fall in his third ride. The maturity and assurance of Jake Knight to lead and then let James pass him for the Junior Stars second 8-1 of the night was heartening to see...: these lads are riding very maturely and demonstrating amazing team riding ability for youngsters who really should be inexperienced at that type of racing.

Ashley Morris also rode very well (first time I'd seen Ashley). Another Sittingbourne regular Rhys Naylor did an 'Owen' and twice passed opponents on his way to four points.

The Pocket Rockets, though, were worthy winners with Richard & Marc the stars but the four 'Jays' all pitching in: especially John Reisch who on this showing - and with a good position from the earlier rounds in his locker, could well be GB Under 15 champion by this time next month. If it can't be Marc I hope John can do it.

All round a superb night's Entertainment (with a capital 'E'!!). I actually live ten minutes from Arena Essex and could easily have gone to the Lakeside match tonite. But I'm delighted instead I took the 4 1/2 hour round trip to the Norfolk Arena coz this was a far better meeting than, frankly, I've EVER seen at the 'other' Arena..!!! :approve:

Good to catch up with both you and PhilK last night, and so pleased that you enjoyed what was possibly the best meeting seen at the Norfolk Arena this season.

Mike

What a fantastic nights Speedway in front of a decent crowd (looked over 200).

Hopefully other clubs will take note and look to run similar meetings next season. Although Mike Bennetts assertion that all Elite , Premier and Conference clubs should run three of these meetings a year was a little over the top, surely all Elite and Premier clubs could run one full 15 heat Junior Meeting without much trouble.

Why over the top Phil? What other chances do these lads have to race a competitive meeting in front of a paying crowd? ;)

What would you rather see, The M1/M6/A47/Dudley/Ace challenge (fit meeting name of preferred choice!) between a couple of teams where most of the riders are testing their engines and looking at the night as a bit of spare cash or, a group of keen youngsters who want to learn to race.

Every club in every league will have some spare dates to fill during a season and if the reaction to last nights event is anything to go by, I know what the public would prefer. Some Elite league clubs go for several weeks without a meeting due to lack or riders, GP commitments etc so why not stage a junior meeting then? :neutral:

As for costs? If you charge £8 for adults and even have a crowd of 200 paying at most tracks you will cover costs.

Tell me Phil, do you have two kids who are just starting out and learning to race on grasstrack and speedway?

We do and, apart from Buster last night and Stephen Lambert at a Boston meeting a couple of months ago, nobody is prepared to give the kids a few laps around the track on their 250cc grasstrack bikes so where do they get the chance to learn?

Training schools( make that highly expensive practice facilities) are few and far between so opportunities are limited. Yes, I'm an old dinosaur who would love to see a return to a proper second half and not this mad scamble to get four laps in before the St Johns leave and as the starting gates and flags are packed away.

That's why I stick by my comments made last night. Every track in every league needs to stage these meetings more than once a year or we can simply watch as the Danes, Swedes, Poles and every other nation keep pulling away from us on the international circuit.

Last year, at Mildenhall's final meeting, we took several of the grasstrack boys along and they took part in exhibition races during the "Big Bang" meeting. The reaction to them was first class and many fans have said they would love to see more of this. They (correction make that we the parents!) all pay £42 each for an ACU licence to let the boys and girls ride their bikes so why should they not have more opportunities to get laps in?

I would like to offer my congratulations to everyone who made last night possible and thank the many fans who stayed till the very end to see the grastrack boys go round. Here's hoping for another opportunity before the end of this season.

Mike

Why over the top Phil? What other chances do these lads have to race a competitive meeting in front of a paying crowd?

What would you rather see, The M1/M6/A47/Dudley/Ace challenge (fit meeting name of preferred choice!) between a couple of teams where most of the riders are testing their engines and looking at the night as a bit of spare cash or, a group of keen youngsters who want to learn to race.

Every club in every league will have some spare dates to fill during a season and if the reaction to last nights event is anything to go by, I know what the public would prefer. Some Elite league clubs go for several weeks without a meeting due to lack or riders, GP commitments etc so why not stage a junior meeting then?

As for costs? If you charge £8 for adults and even have a crowd of 200 paying at most tracks you will cover costs.

Tell me Phil, do you have two kids who are just starting out and learning to race on grasstrack and speedway?

We do

Woah, woah, Mike.

I thought it was only MY posts which got read a re-quoted out of context! :rolleyes:

Phil is massively in support of these U-16 meetings and waxed lyrical about last night's one before anyone else on here (mind you he can get home quicker than me!! :wink: ).

All Phil said, in an innocent aside, was that perhaps THREE of these meetings a year at every track might be a tad ambitious at the mo..: a bit like trying to run before we can walk, as the huge majority haven't (as you imply in your posting..) even organised ONE!! :shock:

After seeing last night, I would defy anyone promoting NOT to want to stage such a meeting as, as all who've posted have said, this was superb fare.. In fact, surely THIS is the future for Speedway's "third" (or perhaps it'll come "4th.") division.. :approve:

I guess the only thing to think on is the team names. Last night the KL & RH tags were kind of generic really (some actual club connections; some not...).

IF (as I strongly believe should happen...) these matches go on a "road tour" visiting all tracks, then would similar local names be used OR would it be best to return to the Academy League idea of a couple of years back with names like Rhinos, Cobras etc.??? :unsure:

Good luck to your two lads..

D.

Having seen most of these lads ride this season I am not surprised by some of the comments seen here they all have a future in the sport and are a credit to their families who must be very proud.

Well done to Rich, Well done Marc making the move from 250 to 500, Well done to Ash very positive coming back from your injuries..... it would be too long so well done to them all

I would like to say to the organisers that whilst it is good that there were some after meeting races for the grasstrack lads on 250's trying to encourage them into speedway,but, 'please do not forget' that there are 14 equally committed and capable young lads who are already riding speedway and competing in the British under 15 250cc championships who would love a chance at a meeting like this.

Well done to everyone involved.

Woah, woah, Mike.

I thought it was only MY posts which got read a re-quoted out of context! :rolleyes:

Phil is massively in support of these U-16 meetings and waxed lyrical about last night's one before anyone else on here (mind you he can get home quicker than me!! :wink: ).

D.

Someone in the media take someting out of context? Perish the thought! :D

I'm pleased that Phil, and I guess everyone else who attended last night, is indeed in favour of these meetings. My point is, as I said last night, I really want the individual promoters to wake up to the fact that we need these meetings more than once a year to encourage even more youngsters to take up the sport. As a parent, if I knew that there was a chance of several meetings at different tracks during the season, I would be more willing to invest in bikes and all the rest that goes with it. There are more opportunites to ride grass track than speedway at the moment and I think we would all like to see that change?

The under 15 250cc boys also deserve all the encouragement we can give them and that should mean an opportunity to ride everywhere and anywhere that school holidays and family budgets will allow.

Now, shall we talk about a national training school........................ :P

Last night was one of the most enjoyable meetings I have ever attended, and I can only echo almost everything said above.

Those of you who were at the meeting had a treat, those who weren’t should make a real effort to attend the next one to see what you missed.

Angela and I were proud to play a small part in getting the meeting on, and Buster’s contribution was crucial. In the end though, without riders there is no meeting, and in this case without parents there are no riders!

Last night saw 13 keen riders supported by 13 dedicated families. They were all well-presented, professional and got on with the job, with no histrionics, gardening or showboating. Just 13 great riders – all a pleasure to work with.

There seems to be growing chorus that this is the future for British speedway. The number of venues that can stage a meeting such as this is limited, but in my opinion we should make every effort to see these events multiply. Last night must not be a one-off!

I have made no secret of my wish to be involved in making meetings like this a regular event and I know I’m not alone. Please keep posting your thoughts here so that we can keep the momentum going.

I'm wondering if another one could be fitted in at Reading beforev the end of the season.. :unsure:

I say Reading (and I accept it's imperitnent to 'offer up' someone else's track..: so forgive me!! :wink: ) as they've finished their PL fixtures, will perhaps have just the one Young Shield match, yet have a couple of dates betwween that YS match and their big Final Meeting. :neutral:

What could be more fitting than having a Select match involving nder 16s in that spare date.?

Think about it: 19/10 is their big farewell, all the great names of Smallmead's past.

The preceeding Monday 13th (a blank date, I think...): the cream of the FUTURE of GB Speedway..?? :approve:

Could put together a Reading 'Ravens' team from the "bank" of riders available (ie including those representing KL last night) and juniors who I know are involved with the Reading set-up already and take on that Rye House team who we saw last night..??

H Man and others, any thoughts..??? :unsure:

Just to echo all of the positive feedback from this meeting this was a great nights entertainment, whether a parent of one of the riders like myself, a supporter, or somebody watching speedway for the very first time who must now be hooked!! This is what all of these lads need to be presented as, Speedway Riders top of the bill equal to all riders in other leagues so that they are taken seriously as "the future of British Speedway". I am not sure who to thank for getting this meeting on but whoever is responsible and I am sure there are many, promoters, sponsors, Marshalls etc, etc, A big Thank You. Rich Franklin snr

Well done to one and all. Just sorry I couldn't make it for the meeting to watch these emerging young talents . Totally agree that there should be more meetings or a defined structure to the lad's racing. Having had involvment with most of the lads on show and their parents I know that is what they want and surely the future of British Speedway needs the lads at this level and age to be supported and nurtured.

Laurence Rogers

Woah, woah, Mike.

All Phil said, in an innocent aside, was that perhaps THREE of these meetings a year at every track might be a tad ambitious at the mo..: a bit like trying to run before we can walk, as the huge majority haven't (as you imply in your posting..) even organised ONE!! :shock:

After seeing last night, I would defy anyone promoting NOT to want to stage such a meeting as, as all who've posted have said, this was superb fare.. In fact, surely THIS is the future for Speedway's "third" (or perhaps it'll come "4th.") division.. :approve:

I guess the only thing to think on is the team names. Last night the KL & RH tags were kind of generic really (some actual club connections; some not...).

IF (as I strongly believe should happen...) these matches go on a "road tour" visiting all tracks, then would similar local names be used OR would it be best to return to the Academy League idea of a couple of years back with names like Rhinos, Cobras etc.??? :unsure:

D.

Thanks for saving me the effort of responding Derek.

30 stand alone tracks (incl Boston) x 3 equates to 90 meetings a year which to mind is too many

However there should be nothing to stop each Elite and Premier track running ONE , which would give us 25 meetings of this type a season.

Add to that some proper second half events, that actually get run, rather than being abandoned because the 'main' event has been protracted, and we'd be heading in the right direction.

Personally I am amazed why the U15 championship is only 4 or 5 rounds!

Edited by PhilK

some pictures from the meeting here