British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mrs sheffield

Sheffield and LongEaton Anyone ??

Guest mrs sheffield

Hi !!

Just joined and used to be a HUGE fan of Sheffield and Long Eaton in the 80's - hope that qualifies as years gone by ! Would love to hear from anyone who remembers that era with as much fondness as I do.Glenn Doyle at Long Eaton ( he was a good mate but I lost his address - if you see this Glenn get in touch mate ! ),the Morans, the Collins bros Neil and Les, Alan Mason ( who is still a good mate)and Neil Machin when he was just a fan!! If you remember these days drop me a line!! :lol::lol:

Jill

Welcome to the forum Mrs Sheffield!

Im too new to the sport to know of the times you are talking about (although do like watching Les Collins even now) but there are plenty of others around with stories and memories from the past so come on in look around and join in when you want.

Come on you Sheffield fans.....Krissie? Phil? Tigerblade? etc etc

:lol:

Mrs Sheffield, I too was a Long Eaton fan from 83 till they closed down, some great nights ! winning the league was fantastic, and some great riders as well, remember Gerald Short, ? his blasts round the boards will live in my memory for ever ! as for Glenn Doyle, I also got to know him very well. I sponsored him and then became his personal manager, in fact it was me who got him his deal at Bradford, alas I too have lost touch with him now, I am now a Football fan although I still watch speedway on tv. have some great memories of Sheffield as well.

:lol::lol::lol: You will all be pleased to know that Long Eaton Stadium is at last on the verge of being bought, it should be redeveloped and ready for tapes up in 2005 - maybe 2004 for some open meetings if we are lucky.

:lol::lol::lol: You will all be pleased to know that Long Eaton Stadium is at last on the verge of being bought, it should be redeveloped and ready for tapes up in 2005 - maybe 2004 for some open meetings if we are lucky.

Have they got/do they need planning permission for speedway?

Guest mrs sheffield

Hi Madbiker ( luv the name! :lol: )

The last time I spoke to Glenn he rang me from Sydney the 1st time he won the Aussie title.I received a letter from him about a year or two after that with the news he got married and his new address and thats the letter I lost! But Alan Mason reckons on one of the travel shows over here there was a piece on a 4wd tour attraction in Aussie and it was run by Glenn Doyle.Typical Al - he doesn't know what it was called but I keep hoping I'll come across it one day.Glad to hear he had someone good to look after him - he was a very dear friend.I met him the first time he came over from Oz ( he was quiet and shy then!) Then I used to get these phone calls that always started" G'day mate,how the f*** are ya?"!!

I got one that said he was staying at Neil Machins house and could I come over and feed him - only thing was I couldn't cook back then!!He gave me heaps for marrying a kiwi (the sporting rivalry thing!)but I'll always have fond memories of him.

Nice to chat with another friend of his :D:D

Mrs Sheffield, you brought back memories with the phone call thing, I remember when he won those aussie titles, 2 on the trot as I recall ! I told him to let me know how he went to help me get him sponsors and a better pay deal, of course what he did was to ring me straight after the meeting ie 3am our time and shout down the phone "G`day yer Baaaaarstad it`s the Aussie champion here" :D I always felt he treated his racing in the UK as a holiday, never really taking it seriously, if he had really applied himself I think he could have gone a long way, still he enjoyed life and certainly had an eye for the ladies, you barely saw him with the same one twice ! ;-)

Have they got/do they need planning permission for speedway?

Planning permission is not needed for motorsports - the council have included the stadium as a sporting venue in the 10 year business plan.

Planning permission will be needed for the grandstand and other development work, meetings have already taken place with the council re this, apart from local objections there should be no problems.

Guest Stickleback

I hope you are right about LE. Where did you get your information from? It is interesting to say the least. I hope the track is flatter than the last time.

Sheffield in the late 60's / 70's thats me, Wyer, Wilson, Eide, Harkins, Airey, Haley and Valentine. all had 10+ averages at one time except Bert Harkins who just wore a kilt.

I hope you are right about LE. Where did you get your information from? It is interesting to say the least. I hope the track is flatter than the last time.

Sheffield in the late 60's / 70's thats me, Wyer, Wilson, Eide, Harkins, Airey, Haley and Valentine. all had 10+ averages at one time except Bert Harkins who just wore a kilt.

Information gained from the monthly 'save the stadium' meetings, next one is 5th March, i'll let you know the latest news then.

Come on you Sheffield fans.....Krissie? Phil? Tigerblade? etc etc

Well, I'm here ;) Hi Mrs. S., I've been a Sheffield fan for 25 years now (you get less for murder lol) so I'm quite sure I share many of the same memories that you do. I don't, or even didn't, know many riders though, apart from the Wyer family (mainly Paul).

I used to like Glenn Doyle as well, I saw him at both Long Eaton and Bradford while Sheffield were closed. I really hope Long Eaton can be revived, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Can any member please update this interesting debate?

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Can any member please update this interesting debate?

I very much doubt it, seeing that only one of the above posters has even visited the BSF in the last few years, and even that was months ago...

On 2/16/2003 at 8:36 PM, Cagey said:

This didn't age well

I go back to the sixties- Sheffield were always great visitors- 1964-65; Jack Kitchen , Cive Featherby, John Dews , Alan Jay etc.-solid thru' and thru- a wonderful track to visit , super racing surface (thanks Frank V.)

LE went every week 1966-67 when I lived in  Nottingham, when they moved to Leicester in 1968 would go there.

I wish those days would return- at least I still have my programmes to look at.