British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IanT

Who Scored 1st Ever 21 Point Maximum?

There have been some 21pt max scores year, Pavlic, Tully, Wethers. I was trying to think of the frst rider to achieve this. I think it was dutchman Henny Kroeze when riding for Halifax. Can anyone confirm this, or correct me accordingly. Thanks

I can't confirm it, but I thought it was Henny Kroeze too. Would probably have been in 1977, when they brought in the R/R rule that riders with a lower average than the missing rider could take up to three R/R rides.

I, too, am unable to quote match & date details but it was Henny I am fairly sure. Somewhat odd it was Henny when there have been so many great riders in the game but so few from his area of the World. I suppose Jack Parker, Vic Duggan or Ove may have done this if Speedway had allowed it to happen in their days though. But the sport was much better in every way before the mid 60s.

Edited by star ghost

I can't confirm it, but I thought it was Henny Kroeze too. Would probably have been in 1977, when they brought in the R/R rule that riders with a lower average than the missing rider could take up to three R/R rides.

I think it was the time when a rider could take a T/S ride and 2 R/R rides. If my memory serves me correctly R/R could only be used for the heat leaders and averages were not a consideration. I think it was 1977, the Halifax team would have included Ian Cartwrigth, Mick Keon and possibly Merv Janke? Anyone have the match details?

Ivan Mauger did it for Newcastle at poole in the KO Cup on 27 July 1966.

Despite Ivan doing it,i too remember that Henny was credited with being the first.In fact not so long ago i re-read the Speedway Star report.Unfortunately in the mean time i have moved.So all my stuff is in a bit of a muddle at the mo..Might try and find it over the weekend

Actually it was 1976, 21st Aug against Birmingham with R/R for Graham Plant. Halifax won 51-27.

Halifax

Chris Pusey 14+1

Henny Kroeze 21

Charlie Monk 4+2

Ian Cartwright 5+1

Michael Lohmann 2+1

Andy Cushworth 5+2

Brum

Soren Sjosten 9+1

Arthur Browning 1

Ove Olsen 3+1

Jan Gravnenegen 2+1

Bob Valentine 8

Eric Broadbelt (G) 4+1

Edited by Groundhog

Latest issue of Backtrack has an article on Henny and mentions the 21 point max.

Actually it was 1976, 21st Aug against Birmingham with R/R for Graham Plant. Halifax won 51-27.

Halifax

Chris Pusey 14+1

Henny Kroeze 21

Charlie Monk 4+2

Ian Cartwright 5+1

Michael Lohmann 2+1

Andy Cushworth 5+2

Brum

Soren Sjosten 9+1

Arthur Browning 1

Ove Olsen 3+1

Jan Gravnenegen 2+1

Bob Valentine 8

Eric Broadbelt (G) 4+1

It was indeed 1976 and not 1977 when this rider replacement method was used.

I have a Swindon programme from that year which attempts to explain the rule. Basically, any rider with a higher average than the missing rider could have one R/R ride and any rider with a lower average could have up to 3 R/R rides.

That, plus one TS, allowed one rider to have up to 8 rides! I recall Finn Thomsen scoring 21 at Swindon that year, but I think it was from 8 rides.

My memory is clear that at the time, Henny Kroeze was credited with the first 21-max. Whether that meant that the Star forgot about Mauger is less clear.

I seem to remember Wal Morton scoring 21 points for Liverpool in a Provincial League match in 1960. Possibly, though, it could have been a grand-slam of unbeaten in match and second-half? I have no records - just relying on one of those deep memories once has. :unsure:

Mauger did it first. Details are below. I also think that Anders Michanek possibly did it in the late sixties in a KO Cup match for Long Eaton or Leicester. can anyone else recall or verify this?

27 July 1965 - Poole 53 Newcastle 43 (KO Cup)

Ht 1: Mudge, McKee, Coombes, Watkin 72.2

Ht 2: Genz, Kelly, Dent, Briggs(ef) 72.6

Ht 3: Smith, Watkin, McKee, Butterfield 73.2

Ht 4: Coombes, Mudge, Genz, Kelly(ef) 72.0

Ht 5: Mauger, Coombes, Andrew, Strachan 71.8

Ht 6: Mudge, McKee, Dent, Kelly 74.0

Ht 7: Mauger, Genz, Briggs, Watkin 71.2

Ht 8: Mauger, Andrew, Coombes, Smith 72.0

Ht 9: Briggs, Smith, Butterfield, Dent 74.2

Ht 10: Mauger, Mudge, McKee, Kelly 72.2

Ht 11: Smith, Dent, Watkin, Andrew(ef) 74.4

Ht 12: Genz, Coombes, Watkin, Briggs 72.8

Ht 13; Mauger, Smith, Coombes, Andrew(ef) 73.0

Ht 14: Genz, Mudge, Watkin, Dent 72.8

Ht 15: Mauger, Strachan, McKee, Gifford 73.8

Ht 16: Mauger, Andrew, Briggs, Coombes 72.0

Poole - Ronnie Genz (3,1,2,3,3) 12+1, Geoff Mudge (3,2,3,2,2) 12+1, Pete Smith (3,0,2,3,2) 10+1, Colin McKee (2,1,2,1,1) 7+4, Wayne Briggs (ef,1,3,0,1) 5+2, Bill Andrew (1,2,ef,ef,2) 5, Norman Strachan (0,2) 2

Newcastle - Ivan Mauger (3,3,3,3,3,3,3) 21, Graham Coombes (1,3,2,1,2,1,0) 10+1, Mike Watkin (0,2,0,1,1,1) 5+2, Russ Dent (1,1,0,2,0) 4+1, Peter Kelly (2,ef,0,0) 2, Alan Butterfield (0,1) 1, Dave Gifford (0) 0

Any 21-point maximums BEFORE 1976 are likely to come from cup matches, because these often had an extended format, quite often over 18 heats, whereas despite many changes to format during the fifties and sixties (I think the "traditional 13-heat format" came in 1969), league matches normally took place over 13 or 14 heats.

Henny Kroeze probably scored the first 21-point maximum in a LEAGUE match. Anyone else got any examples of any cup 21-point maximums prior to 1976?

All the best

Rob

Going off on a slight tangent, in 1983, both Joe Owen and Rod Hunter scored paid 21 point maximums for Newcastle, as the Diamonds came from 8 points behind to win 49-47 at Oxford.

Is this the only time two riders have both scored paid 21-point maximums for the same team in the same fixture?

All the best

Rob