British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Finn Thomsen

Thanks to all for your ongoing suggestions about the people we should interview in future issues of Backtrack.

But, in the meantime, we're all set to interview Finn Thomsen tomorrow. Very short notice, I know, but just wondered if mention of his name evokes any memories or thoughts among you all?

What do fans of the clubs Finn rode for - Wolves, Hackney, Poole and Swindon - make of him? Any particular races or incidents that spring to mind?

From a Hawks perspective, most will probably have only good things to say about a rider who, though never spectacular, could beat the best when he was 'up for it' or sufficiently riled enough to want to prove a point. Seem to recall that he didn't exactly see eye to eye with Billy Sanders!

Finn was, essentially, a solid BL performer and a team man at Waterden Road, although there was perhaps a perception that he reserved his best efforts for the big occasions...World Championships and World Team Cups.

He possessed excellent throttle control, mind, and I struggle to recall seeing him crash.

As I say, any comments are most welcome.

In the next issue we've also interviewed Andy Smith, Reading promoter Pat Bliss, Robbie Gardner, Rudy Muts and Sean Courtney and there's also an in-depth feature on the old Fenton training track - part of a new series looking at training tracks.

http://www.retro-speedway.com

He possessed excellent throttle control, mind, and I struggle to recall seeing him crash.

Practice before official Press day, the year he signed for us. He ended up with my Dad cutting his "lucky leathers" off him because he broke a leg. The alternative that he was given was to rip the things off over the break.....

I still vividly remember getting a phone call from Dad "Who do you know with the initials FinnThomsen who won't be riding for you this season?" :rolleyes:

21 points for Wolves when they won at Swindon using R/R. Then did a lap of honour with mask off, big smile on his face and waving as the entire crowd booed.

Practice before official Press day, the year he signed for us. He ended up with my Dad cutting his "lucky leathers" off him because he broke a leg. The alternative that he was given was to rip the things off over the break.....

I still vividly remember getting a phone call from Dad "Who do you know with the initials FinnThomsen who won't be riding for you this season?" :rolleyes:

That would explain why he didn't ride in 1985 and made his Robins debut a year later.

21 points for Wolves when they won at Swindon using R/R. Then did a lap of honour with mask off, big smile on his face and waving as the entire crowd booed.

Why the booing?

Why the booing?

Probably because he went round with a big smile on his face and waving after almost single-handedly beating us. He was, I suspect, taking the mickey.

For my money, the finest team rider with a really slow partner that I have ever seen.

could you please ask him why the danish racers speak english with a kiwi accent, kinda like pete adams speaking english with a danish/kiwi accent. :blink::P

Edited by sandman

could you please ask him why the danish racers speak english with a kiwi accent, kinda like pete adams speaking english with a danish/kiwi accent. :blink::P

Not all danes - Erik had a pronounced Black Country accent.

That would explain why he didn't ride in 1985 and made his Robins debut a year later.

No, Thomsen was injured at P+P in '86 (broken ankle). He recovered to ride for us later in the season at the expense of Per Sorensen.

He was never signed by anyone in '85.

Edited by frigbo

Why the booing?

There were accusations of an oversized engine flying around that night.

"Flying Finn Thomsen" ... very fast bikes & loved by the ladies at Monmore Green :wink:

I remember him and Mitch Shirra having a helmet butting contest riding side by side all the way back to the pits after one bruising race .... and a near riot when Swindon fans threw lager over him after one match winning ride at Monmore ... which then resulted in me and 3 mates climbing on the dog track to sort them out! .... oh those were the days :lol:

He had such a happy cheeky face.

Still got his autographed photo.F.Thomsen.Was one of the colourful(leather-wise)riders in the early 70s.One of the first danish riders Ole brought over i guess?Wasn't Krause Kjaer over the year before? :unsure:

Krause Kjaer came over in '74, the same year as Finn.

I guess Erik Tilgaard at Newcastle must have been Ole's first protege

Thanks for that Frigbo.

Any details on Kjaer?How many meetings he did?

And never even heard of Tilgaard.Any details on year,meetings?Please?. :D

I just love you guys with all the stats :approve: