British Speedway Forum

This effectively now MUST be the end of the GPs. If it isn't then it IS the end of international individual Speedway as any kind of serious sport.

LMAO. Clutching at straws or what? :rolleyes:

Because a mess was made of one event, the whole series must end? Would it not be more sensible to call for the removal of the person in charge of track preparation?

You might not like the GP series, but it's a far better way of establishing the best rider in the World than the old format.

And sorry, m8, but I can't believe you've posted this..!! This whole thing sums up the GPs and has pushed Speedway much, much nearer total extinction.. You know, extinction...: like the dinosaurs..!! :wink:

No...It sums up the way that the tracks are prepared at temporary venues. It says nothing about the series itself.

I went last year, hence my comments.

Do you have to shout??

:mad: YES :wink:

Just got back from Germany. What I think about Ole Olsen is unprintable. For a start, why did the shale have to come all the way from Denmark - don't they have such a thing in Germany? Why also was the shale left out in wet conditions en route to Germany? The man is a joke as are his tracks .

After the shock of learning that the GP was cancelled due to a wet track (whilst baking in glorious sunshine), my group decided to make the best of a bad lot and just treated it as a nice weekend away. The hotel was great, food fantastic and we met some nice German and Danish fans, who were equally disgruntled.

My prediction is that the blame will be laid at the local organisers and Gelsenkirchen will be quietly dropped from the rota

Yes quite, as happened at Gothenburg. However, they at least had the get out that the track preparation was the responsibility of the local organisers then, but now this quite clearly falls with IMG/BSI because the responsibilities were changed after the Ullevi fiasco. I therefore wonder how they'll manage to wriggle out of this one. :rolleyes:

BSI proved they cannot do it, look at Reading and IMG are no better.

IMG may now be the parent company, but I think the SGP is still largely organised by the former BSI people (although has anyone seen or heard from Postlethwaite recently?). I suspected IMG may not really have understood what they bought into, and quite what they must be thinking now is anyone's guess. :blink:

For someone so far away you seem to know an awful lot. How many other successful GP's have been run? All bar this and one other, blimey all thats happened is a meeting has been called off. Yes I know it's gutting for everyone concerned including the riders but lets not lose a sense of perspective here.

I entirely agree someone high ups head should roll for this, but the end of the GP's? Do me a favour. Like I said yesterday the anti GP mob would have a field day with this, and you me old mate are definately one of them!!

See you at Shepherds Bush next week.

Actually I don't know anything!! Which is why I was asking if it's true about (1) there being no programmes and (2) the rather odd Sky scheduling..!! :rolleyes:

I don't think that there's any loss of a sense of perspective here!! Good job I hadn't gone (though fat chance, as you know, that I'd cross the road to see a GP let alone cross the channel!! :wink: ) because I would have lost it BIG TIME!!!

You're right that you support the GPs and I'm firmly in the 'World Final'- camp...: but that doesn't mean you have to defend what's happened this weekend..!! Surely there IS no defence is there..!! :shock:

The situation re. the meeting programme seems to me here to be critical.

We've seen mention that someone trying to buy a prog. was told there weren't any..!!

Did anyone who was there get one or see one..?? :unsure:

If the answer to that is "no", then there can surely be absolutely no doubt that this meeting was called off long before yesterday or rather that there was no plan to hold it yesterday at this venue. :mad:

If I was one of those who had travelled I would be preparing to sue the ar*e off the crooks who have done this. Can the whole group not get together to do this..??? :unsure:

This effectively now MUST be the end of the GPs. If it isn't then it IS the end of international individual Speedway as any kind of serious sport.

It is also remarkable that Sky hadn't programmed in 'reruns' of the GP. I haven't checked this but IF this was the case it would, extraordinarily, imply that somehow they were in on this. An unlikely concept - and I'd intrinsically be against the conspiracy theories myself too.. - but what other rational explanations can people suggest.

And sorry, m8, but I can't believe you've posted this..!! This whole thing sums up the GPs and has pushed Speedway much, much nearer total extinction.. You know, extinction...: like the dinosaurs..!! :wink:

According to an earlier Post - they were selling tickets on the Saturday Morning - WHY ??????????????????????????????

Just got back from Germany. What I think about Ole Olsen is unprintable. For a start, why did the shale have to come all the way from Denmark - don't they have such a thing in Germany? Why also was the shale left out in wet conditions en route to Germany? The man is a joke as are his tracks .

I'm only guessing here, but probably because they own the shale that is used at Parken and that was what was taken to Germany.

You might have noticed that the Parken track has been much better than Cardiff and that is allegedly because the shale used there is used solely for the temporary tracks and has had other materials mixed into it to make it bind better, unlike the Cardiff surface which is just loaned for the week.

Actually I don't know anything!! Which is why I was asking if it's true about (1) there being no programmes and (2) the rather odd Sky scheduling..!! :rolleyes:

I don't think that there's any loss of a sense of perspective here!! Good job I hadn't gone (though fat chance, as you know, that I'd cross the road to see a GP let alone cross the channel!! :wink: ) because I would have lost it BIG TIME!!!

You're right that you support the GPs and I'm firmly in the 'World Final'- camp...: but that doesn't mean you have to defend what's happened this weekend..!! Surely there IS no defence is there..!! :shock:

Totally agree Parsloes 1928 - What defence COULD there be. By the way - I too am firmly in the World Final camp.

See you at Shepherds Bush next week. :wink:

And an appropriate location too - just a few hundred metres from the late lamented White City where I witnessed the greatest Speedway meeting I've ever seen: the 1977 Inter-Continental Final :approve:

If ever anyone wants evidence to show how much better the old World Championship system was than the old tat they call the GPs then visit http://speedwayondisc.blogspot.com/2008/09...r-mr-davis.html

And this wasn't even the Final..: but an incredible penultimate qualifying round...

Ah, those were the days - but I guess one's "Not Nineteen Forever"..!!

I know what you'll say next, in fact "What Took You So Long?"!: that I'm living in the past..: but when it comes to Speedway it's "Yesterday, Today & Probably Tomorrow".. And as for what you've posted, well all I can say is "No, you didn't, No You don't"

I pity anyone standing near us at the Courteeners gig though!!

* for the record I was only 17 not 19 in 1977..: but a bit of poetic licence, eh!!!

How badly we need tracks the size of White City back here again. So good to see Mr Lee racing again :)

Why what happened, did Olsen murder someone?. Have the organisers been using the series to launder drug money?. If something on those lines is true then I think you are right.

The only thing I am aware of this weekend though is a complete cock up in 1 of over 100, otherwise mega successful events. Sure it is an appalling state of affairs and if I was in Germany I would be gutted, no doubt some fans will base attendance at future GPs on this, and that is their perogative.

Why the anti Olsen hysteria, he must resign, be sacked etc. It is nonsense, what must happen is that lessons are learned and it doesn't happen again.

Now of course league racing is exempt from cock ups and when they do occur everyone is happy to blame someone other than the promotion, it is always someone elses fault.

The only thing I am aware of this weekend though is a complete cock up in 1 of over 100, otherwise mega successful events.

It's actually 2 in 100 events, because Gothenburg was cancelled a few years ago due to a poor track. To put in perspective though, when was the last time an F1 GP was cancelled?

Now of course league racing is exempt from cock ups and when they do occur everyone is happy to blame someone other than the promotion, it is always someone elses fault.

Difference is, the SGP only has to sort out 11 meetings a season, with the advantage of being under a roof for three of those rounds, and undoubtedly with more than one bloke turning up on a tractor the day before a meeting. It would actually be interesting to compare the percentage of British meetings called off due to incompetence given how many more are staged per year, with BSI's more than 1 in 50 failure rate with the supposed premier event of the sport.

You cannot defend the indefensible Jeff or The Know!! What I want to know is why the track gurus (teehee) put the shale down in the first place if it was soaked, why not get some more shale in to mix with it?

You cannot defend the indefensible Jeff or The Know!! What I want to know is why the track gurus (teehee) put the shale down in the first place if it was soaked, why not get some more shale in to mix with it?

I am not defending it Trees, as I said it was an appalling cock up, a full enquiry must be held to assertain exactly why it happened and to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The point is you will always get people like Parsloes ( and yourself maybe) who will try to make more of this than there really is, although with his ridiculous claims that this should spell the end of the GP he has lost all credibility, if indeed he had any to lose!!!!

Why do you want to know this? You have no interest in the GP's, until something goes wrong. All you want to do is gloat and take the pi$$.