British Speedway Forum

Got back from Germany late last night and was incredibly disappointed and heartbroken that the Grand Prix was cancelled. We got there at 4.30 suspected something was up due to the lack of people around the stadium, still we thought nothing of it and assumed that maybe the stadium had been opened earlier or something. We were then informed by some fans that the Grand Prix was off. It was hard to believe and still people continued to arrive.

The train service was not informed about the cancellation either as signs at stations stated that there would be delays due to the Grand Prix and that extra trains had been put on to accomadate the event. These were still up after we left the stadium getting on for after 6PM.

The vendors of the stalls outside the stadium had been informed at 2PM that the event was cancelled, as had the stadium staff. Our hotel was informed at 5PM that the event was cancelled.

It was disappointing to say the least and many fans were incredibly disappointed and upset about the cancellation. It was like you were waiting for someone to yell 'April Fools' at the stadium.

It was a complete and utter sham, we lost around £1000 in flights/accomadation, etc. and people on the trains who had VIP Packages told us they had come with little money because they were expecting to have a 3 course meal provided in the stadium.

What a complete and utter farce..

I guess that instead of a knee jerk reaction, the sports governing body are taking a long and calm look at the situation, before making a reasoned response.Thursday's Speedway Star should be a good read.

I would be very surprised if the Speedway Star was too critical of BSI/IMG. They have their colours firmly pinned to the GP mast and are unlikely to stray too far from the party line (whatever that may be).

"Wir haben dem Veranstalter BSI spontan angeboten, den Mietzeitraum ohne Mehrkosten zu verlängern, damit das Highlight der Speedway-Saison am nächsten Wochenende doch noch in der VELTINS-Arena stattfinden kann. Das Stadion hätte wegen des Auswärtsspiels des FC Schalke 04 beim Hamburger SV auch am kommenden Wochenende zur Verfügung gestanden. Doch diesen Plänen hat die FIM einen Strich durch die Rechnung gemacht."

We spontaneously offered BSI the chance for an extra week without extra cost,so the highlight of the speedway season could be held next weekend at the Veltins Arena.Because Schalke are playing away in Hamburg next weekend the stadium is available.But the FIM turned down the offer.

It says below that the speedway experts couldn't guarantee that the track would be dry by next weekend!!!!!!For ######## what state was the stuff in when they put it down that it might take longer than two weeks to dry out?????? :blink:

Just a question - did the LAY the Track - OR - did they POUR the Track?????????

WHAT A JOKE, JOKE, JOKE, JOKE, JOKE, JOKE, !!!!!

Edited by ianmartin

Well I plan to try and sue the powers that be!!!! I suggest everyone writes to them informing them of what they intend to do, send an itemised invoice for hotel bills/flights etc...... In the letter give them a date which you would like a reply by (e.g. 2 weeks or so) and advise them that if you don't receive a reply by that date you will commence proceedings in the small claims court!!! THAT IS WHAT I SHALL BE DOING!!!!!!!

I went over with my 2 daughters and my friend I have never been more angry and upset, everyone had there own story as to why they chose ths GP, and most was because and indoor meeting could not be cancelled by the weather!!!!! My Husband I go to quite a lot of GP's abroard but I think we will think twice in future, I HOPE IT PISSES DOWN NEXT SATURDAY AND IS CALLED OFF. the officials whoever they are a bunch of tossers and should be shot!!!!! :shock::shock::mad::mad:

What a f**king joke! :angry:

All BSI/IMG/Olsen&Gays, whatever they are called now, are skurwiele that should be hanged for this :angry: I'd love to see them hanging on Bydgoszcz floodlights this Saturday at the stadium!

I'm going to the Bydgoszcz GP Episode 2. To watch great racing, support TG... have done all 11 Bydgoszcz GPs so can't really not to go... but when I think about it I'm a bit torn. As the best way of showing them what we think would be an empty stadium this Saturday. But that's not gonna happen, anyway. As someone mentioned, it's a monopoly and we have no choice. But feeling sick when I think about all those Olsens who'll be hanging around at the stadium.

Spent lots of my hard earned money on this trip, it cost me lots of nerves as well (courtesy of Ryanair, the not-on-time airline) etc.. but at least living in the capitol of Polish speedway (and doubts...? :wink: ) I'm lucky to be able to see this year's final at a silly cost (comparing to any abroad trip). Feeling very sorry for all those who did this long journey to Germany and can't go to Bydgoszcz now. Because of money, hotels being booked up etc... Especially sorry for those who had to struggle extra because of their flights being delayed/cancelled. That's just so unfair :( Riders & fans are the only professionals here, there whole rest of SGP is a f**king farce.

If Olsen and his muppets can't build any good temporary track, why not make a few Polish GP per year? Bydgoszcz, Leszno, Czestochowa, maybe even Torun when they have their ultra-modern brand new stadium built..? We're always ready, it's always a sell-out here and usually most exciting heats as well. We're the best! (ain't feeling bad at all for not being modest in this case)

Thinking about some protest banner which I could hang on the fence at the backstraight on Saturday, among all those flags. Just to release my anger a bit. It will probably end up as an argument with a few specnaz looking security guys but I may prepare something.

Anyway, at the moment am just utterly fed up. All things being well, wanted to do some new GP's next year but now may give it up. Am definitely not going to go anything like Gothenburg, Parken etc. Not to mention the hopeless Germany. Will probably stick just to the Polish GPs... and Cardiff, only because of the great company and atmosphere in town!

Edited by Mateusz

Jason Crump in the Manchester Evening News: Crump Interview

Interesting interview. Particularly when he mentions that nobody even had the good grace to inform the riders that the Saturday morning practice had been cancelled. Should make the fans feel a little better to know that the riders are treated with contempt as well.

My previous post on this topic was devoted to the short term aftermath of the Gelsenkirchen farce, particularly taking into account the massive losses that must have been suffered by all who made the ill-fated trip.

I still feel that continuing to offer a $200,000 windfall bonus to meaningless Super Prix race winner whilst leaving so many people uncompensated looks disgraceful and seems to be yet another PR disaster in the making. Can IMG really afford another?

Having now had the time to read the first hand accounts of Saturday's events from various fans' viewpoint I am even more certain that the money from the Super Prix should be directed towards a compesation fund. It is the human decent thing to do, surely.

The longer-term impact is rather less clear. It would seem that the immediate response of some on this forum is to reignite the pro Gp v Pro World Final debate, yet again ... and alongside that, the pro BSI v anti BSI argument has flared once again.

Realtistically this is just arguing over the deckchairs on the Titanic isn't it. Totally futile as the GP is here to stay and IMG/BSI have the franchise for just about as long as they want it. So we have to live with it, no matter what.

Personally I have enjoyed some tremendous nights at World Finals of the past and have also yet to be disappointed by any GP I have attended ... So I feel pretty neutral.

I'm also aware of some of the advances that have been made - especially regarding live TV - during BSI's stewardship but I'm equally well aware that the plaudits are probably due to many other people rather than Posselthwaite, Bellamy et al.

Surely, the one advance that BSI are definitely responsible for, and the one for which we are most grateful, is Cardiff. Isn't this just a little less certain for the future now?

I would fear that one real, possible consequence of the Gelsenkirchen postponement must be an end to any future one day tracks, whether indoor or outdoor.

It's all very well for people to talk about BSI being able to claim on the insurance for last weekend. But surely the insurance was taken out at a reasonable premium only because the likelihood of an indoor rain-off was so, so low. What is the chance that any insurance company will ever again offer a price that anyone could afford when they know it so easily can happen!

Edited by speedwayondisc

http://www.veltins-arena.de/news_081013_speedway.php

Watch this,it's german,but it says the boss of the veltins arena offered them to stage the grand prix next saturday cause there is no soccer game that day.

there wouldn't have been higher charges for them.

But the FIM threw a monkey wrench in their plans.BSI/IMG/Olsen whatever could not guarantee that the dirt is gonna dry out till next weekend.haha i laugh my ass off

thereupon they decided to stage the final GP at Bydgoszcz.

so that sounds clear as rubbish.olsen what a diprubbish....

Edited by MunichMassive

Realtistically this is just arguing over the deckchairs on the Titanic isn't it. Totally futile as the GP is here to stay and IMG/BSI have the franchise for just about as long as they want it. So we have to live with it, no matter what.

Not necessarily. I remain to be convinced the SGP does as well as people think, so it may eventually die a death of its own, particularly with fiascos like this weekend.

Nevertheless, the power to change things lies with the national leagues who ultimately hold the balance of power because they're the ones paying the living wages to the riders. If all the main leagues stuck together and made it a condition of contract that their riders only exclusively rode for their teams, I think you'd find the SGP would die a pretty quick death. The SGP doesn't generate enough money to sustain a full-time circus, so even if IMG/BSI have the rights for the next 18 years (or whatever), they'd be pretty worthless without the top riders.

I'm not especially against the concept of the SGP (although I do think it's overblown), but it's ridiculous that the rights were sold to a third-party for them to make money without having to return a thing to the sport. I doubt Gelsenkirchen will be a nail in the coffin of the SGP any more than Gothenburg was, but it's certainly punctured the myth of BSI being a professional promotional organisation.

If all the main leagues stuck together and made it a condition of contract that their riders only exclusively rode for their teams, I think you'd find the SGP would die a pretty quick death. The SGP doesn't generate enough money to sustain a full-time circus, so even if IMG/BSI have the rights for the next 18 years (or whatever), they'd be pretty worthless without the top riders.

You are completely correct, of course.

But I have taken the trouble of highlighting the one word that makes the whole statement totally redundant, as it will never happen.

Edited by speedwayondisc

In my view a further statement should be issused by the senior vice president-IMG motorsports Rob Armstrong.The buck surely ends with him.In my view Mr Olsen has to go over this-he obviously under estimated the problem,as checking the webcam, they didnt even work thro the night fri/sat.IMG should this winter hire a giant warehouse or un-used stadium and spend all winter if neccessary,perfecting laying one-off tracks-with a new track team of the best track curators in europe(money should be no object)this cannot be allowed to happen again.

I would be very surprised if the Speedway Star was too critical of BSI/IMG. They have their colours firmly pinned to the GP mast and are unlikely to stray too far from the party line (whatever that may be).

They all seemed to be enjoying Saturday evening in the Marriot next to stadium so i think Speedway Star will tow the line. And Sunday morning at breakfast Olsen was bold as brass in restaurant , not a care in the world . What a joke ? he didnt care not cost him air ticket , airport car parking ,hotel bill time off work . The man has to go .

In my view a further statement should be issused by the senior vice president-IMG motorsports Rob Armstrong.The buck surely ends with him.In my view Mr Olsen has to go over this-he obviously under estimated the problem,as checking the webcam, they didnt even work thro the night fri/sat.IMG should this winter hire a giant warehouse or un-used stadium and spend all winter if neccessary,perfecting laying one-off tracks-with a new track team of the best track curators in europe(money should be no object)this cannot be allowed to happen again.

That would mean spending MONEY - all people at the top seem interested in - is making it. :mad::angry::mad::angry:

Edited by ianmartin

They all seemed to be enjoying Saturday evening in the Marriot next to stadium so i think Speedway Star will tow the line. And Sunday morning at breakfast Olsen was bold as brass in restaurant , not a care in the world . What a joke ? he didnt care not cost him air ticket , airport car parking ,hotel bill time off work . The man has to go .

I doubt very much that the Star will kick up a stink about this.

Managing Editor Philip Rising & that bloody eegit Olsen have been pals for a very long time.