British Speedway Forum

Or you could concoct a qualifying system that ensured the best 16 could not possibly be there but at the same time hand places to 5 dodgy conference/premier league standard East Europeans.

Such as Jerzy Szczakiel (1973) and Egon Muller (1983)? :rolleyes:

BRING BACK THE WORLD FINAL. :approve:

All the best

Rob

Oh I dont know, there are plenty of ways things could get worse.

You could have a GP end up being decided by a run off where the competitors make a private arrangement to race for real no further than the first turn, only for one of them to change his mind halfway through and race by his unsuspecting opponent and make himself world champion.

Or you could have a GP raced in Britains premier stadium reduced to a farce by track conditions being so bad, with no help from the weather, that a group of supporters grab a hose and ruin it even further.

Or you could find a totally unsuitable venue for a GP, in the back of beyond that is more akin to a long track and stick a GP on there, a venue with barely any parking, only one entrance and next to no seating.

Or you could concoct a qualifying system that ensured the best 16 could not possibly be there but at the same time hand places to 5 dodgy conference/premier league standard East Europeans.

Oh yes there are plenty of ways things could get worse, although most have been done before

Hmm, back in post #306 you wrote, "... for me, aside from 3, all the world champions were most deserving. Does preferring the GP format automatically mean I despise the world final system?"

Well, the answer to that, following the utterly pathetic remarks you've made in your latest posting, must be yes, you certainly do despise the old World Final. :angry:

Which hardly helps your argument. :neutral:

By the way, the "Conference" (sic) standard Poles in the '70s included not just the winner in '73, but also Edward Jancarz and Zenon Plech...: I don't think many would regard them as sub-standard would they..??! :rolleyes:

Oh, and would be interesting to know who the "Third man" is, in the unholy trinity of undeserved world champs you've also previously mentioned. I assume the other two are the two non-Scandanvian contintenal Europeans Rob mentions, but who's your third candidate then..??

Surely it must be Mark Loram...: for he won a World title without winning a SINGLE meeting all year!! Oh no, sorry, can't be him coz that was under the much better GP 'system'..!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Oh I dont know, there are plenty of ways things could get worse.

You could have a GP end up being decided by a run off where the competitors make a private arrangement to race for real no further than the first turn

Actually, I wouldn't speak too soon .... we could well be faced with the final race on Saturday being decided by private arrangement, couldn't we?

Edited by speedwayondisc

Hmm, back in post #306 you wrote, "... for me, aside from 3, all the world champions were most deserving. Does preferring the GP format automatically mean I despise the world final system?"

Well, the answer to that, following the utterly pathetic remarks you've made in your latest posting, must be yes, you certainly do despise the old World Final. :angry:

Which hardly helps your argument. :neutral:

By the way, the "Conference" (sic) standard Poles in the '70s included not just the winner in '73, but also Edward Jancarz and Zenon Plech...: I don't think many would regard them as sub-standard would they..??! :rolleyes:

Oh, and would be interesting to know who the "Third man" is, in the unholy trinity of undeserved world champs you've also previously mentioned. I assume the other two are the two non-Scandanvian contintenal Europeans Rob mentions, but who's your third candidate then..??

Surely it must be Mark Loram...: for he won a World title without winning a SINGLE meeting all year!! Oh no, sorry, can't be him coz that was under the much better GP 'system'..!! :rolleyes:

Excellent reply Parsloes 1928.

Great that Mark won the Title for GB - BUT - a (Grand?) Prix WINNER who never WON a (Grand?) Prix - Great advert for the GP.

COULD ONLY HAPPEN IN SPEEDWAY !!

Excellent reply Parsloes 1928.

Great that Mark won the Title for GB - BUT - a (Grand?) Prix WINNER who never WON a (Grand?) Prix - Great advert for the GP.

Wrong !! steve ramon won the 2007 mx1 without a single race win B)

Ok then.Speedway and MX1.But that is it.It could only happen in those.Nothing else :lol:

Andy Kaufman

Great that Mark won the Title for GB - BUT - a (Grand?) Prix WINNER who never WON a (Grand?) Prix - Great advert for the GP. COULD ONLY HAPPEN IN SPEEDWAY !!

Errr.. no, it could happen in any sport unless you award more points for winning a single round than you could gain by accumulating all second places, and I'm sure most would agree that would be farcical. It's admittedly unusual to win a series without winning a round, but I'm sure it must have happened at some point (and there have certainly been F1 champions that have only won a single GP in a season).

What's wrong with rewarding consistency?

On more than one occasion this season the 2nd place rider has scored more points than the winner, yet you all seem happy with that.

But coming second all the time is wrong?

I must be missing something here :unsure:

Robert Kubica 2008 ? 1 win maybe.

Nadal 6 6 4 4 4

Murray 0 0 6 6 6 winner Murray 3 sets to 2 total games won Nadal 24 Murray 18 :rolleyes:

Edited by From PC to KC.

What's wrong with rewarding consistency?

On more than one occasion this season the 2nd place rider has scored more points than the winner, yet you all seem happy with that.

But coming second all the time is wrong?

I must be missing something here :unsure:

I'm DEFINATELY not happy with that.... Thank you for helping me with my argument against the (Grand?) Prix System.

THEY COULDN'T EVEN GET THE POINTS RIGHT !!

Proves my POINT don't you think. (No pun intended).

Such as Jerzy Szczakiel (1973) and Egon Muller (1983)? :rolleyes:

BRING BACK THE WORLD FINAL. :approve:

All the best

Rob

Oh dear . Is this the type of nonsense we can expect over the winter months . :shock::rolleyes:

Did you read Egon's side of the story in the SS a week ago?

Gp was good last night but a bit of a foregone conclusion as everyone thought! Plenty of Poles in the crowd, but didn't appear to be much of a representation from other nations!!

Incidentally, in Speedway Star this week the following comments were observed

* The Bydgoszcz management just happened to be in Gelsenkirchen, that was how it was able to be arranged so quickly!

*Jason Crump stated that the riders were not consulted about the restaging and were waiting to hear about compensation

as it cost them a lot of money to get there!

Rightly so but how is it that the fans who paid ' a lot of money' have been told in their letters from BSI that:

" As with all major sporting events, ticket holders are not eligible for refund of travel expenses by either BSI Speedway Ltd, the FIM or the Veltins Arena."

Can't imagine that anyone would try to claim a refund from Veltins Arena, after all they cannot be held responsible for the incompetent numpties we have trying to run the GP's!

This whole fiasco stinks of a stitch up and the powers that be should have a long hard think about the damage they have done to this sport.

Gp was good last night but a bit of a foregone conclusion as everyone thought! Plenty of Poles in the crowd, but didn't appear to be much of a representation from other nations!!

Incidentally, in Speedway Star this week the following comments were observed

* The Bydgoszcz management just happened to be in Gelsenkirchen, that was how it was able to be arranged so quickly!

*Jason Crump stated that the riders were not consulted about the restaging and were waiting to hear about compensation

as it cost them a lot of money to get there!

Rightly so but how is it that the fans who paid ' a lot of money' have been told in their letters from BSI that:

" As with all major sporting events, ticket holders are not eligible for refund of travel expenses by either BSI Speedway Ltd, the FIM or the Veltins Arena."

Can't imagine that anyone would try to claim a refund from Veltins Arena, after all they cannot be held responsible for the incompetent numpties we have trying to run the GP's!

This whole fiasco stinks of a stitch up and the powers that be should have a long hard think about the damage they have done to this sport.

HEAR, HEAR!! :angry:

Edited by ianmartin

HEAR, HEAR!! :angry:

That seems to be your stock answer, are you devoid of the intelligence to construct a reasoned post of your own, still that puts you in good company, Parsloes whatever he calls himself, colin cooke etc.