Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

What Me Miss About 70s Speedway

Just thought I would add a little twist to this and put down what I don't miss about the 1970's but happens today.

Playing around with the clutch and gardening at the gate.

Ignoring starting marshalls instructions.

After a red light unsatisfactory start....going back to the pits.

We have put a stop to all this in Canada, primarily because we have about 45-50 races (not all Speedway) to get through in 3 hours and having these theatrics would make it impossible to complete. Oh yes...and all this for 5 quid!!!

What about Crewe Kings Track at Earle Street.Fast and exciting or what!!!Being brought up on Wimbledon,Crayford & Eastbourne,Crewe seened absolutly ginormous.

2-4-6-8 chant. Big crowds, away fans, chanting, local riders, Saturday nights, Golden Helmets, Test matches, World Finals, more teams in league, crap souvenirs(such as Swindon Robins car sun visors),year bars, rosettes, climbing in, dodgy aircuts, being in the pits, the speedway special bus, second-halves, unobstructed track view, getting hit by shale, rubbish hot-dogs and soup. Briggo, Mauger, Olsen, Ashby, Kilby, Michanek, Collins,the Boococks, Betts, Wilson,Lee,Louis,Simmo,Jessup, Kennett, Crump and lots of others. Tracks in London...Wembley, Wimbledon, White City, West Ham, Ackney. When the British League was the best in the world.When the Brits were a world force in speedway. Live speedway on bbc/itv.

Results/tables and news in the dailies.

Edited by keef

From a midlands perpective, Coventry,Cradley,Wolves and the Brummies battling it out in the big league, not forgetting the Express & star 3tt, the midland 4's and some tight battles with the Leicester Lions.

And of course all the above posts .. nice memories with great characters.. :)

Thanks folks for some wonderful memory nudges. Lots i'd forgotten.

On the culinary side, a word of praise for the hot dogs at leicester. proper sausage in half a baguette with onions. had to buy one early, it took half the meeting to eat!

Trees - I first went to Lynn in 1973.

I will never forget the walk each saturday night from the South Gates to the track going down saddlebow road past the Beet factory (before the A47 by pass was built) I was too young to own a sar and would catch a bus into Lynn from Middleton.

Standing on the apex of bends 3&4 with my large perspex sheet/programme holder so I didn't have to pop my head down when the bikes came past

Getting excited at seeing cars with bikes on the back as we drove past them on motorways when we were on holidays.

Large Stickers across the top of windscreens

Collecting yellow fixture sheets from the office to stick up at the village post office and bus shelter (man I wish I had kept a couple)

And Lynn progs definitely had an aroma ! Amazing what you remember.

Exotic foreign riders, like rare Poles coming over for Pride of the East.

Talking of which - Pride of the East in late October and car tailbacks snaking into Lynn.....

Although I only caught speedway at the end of the 70's I'd say:

Big Sunday afternoon meetings in the UK, with parades of cars etc

70's music

The certain smell of the KL programmes

soup

Having no worries about standing directly behind the one wooden fence, bobbing down when the riders came past

Being totally filthy after a meeting, dust in your hair, ears and nose lol

The flags and bunting flying in the centre GREEN at Lynn

Riders sitting on their bikes on the track before each race (something they should bring back!)

The water bowser lorry at Lynn

Track rakers!!

BLRC at Belle Vue

Wembley

The anoraks you could buy underneath the stand at Lynn

My yellow and green scarf

Golden Helmet match races

Edited by Star in Exile

To think - if they had made the main character in the series 'Life on Mars' - a speedway fan instead of a footie fan, it would have been so easy to film at a current speedway track and replicate the 70's :-) Not many changes needed at most tracks, incl the fashions being worn by the fans !

Your name being drawn out by the Junior Supporters Club to be ridden round on your favourite riders bike during the interval (although in my case it had to be by Ashley Pullen, as Kelvin Mullarkey had been knocked off by Merv Jankie (surely not), collected Hughie Sanders and ended up being bashed round by the safety fence so he couldn't take me (sigh)

Sitting on big cushions my mum had covered with gold and blue material on the concrete stand at Rye House

The riders having flour fights and stuff in the last meeting of a season

Being part of a large away support at speedway meetings

Chanting in the stands (Give us an R etc.)

Weslakes!

Watching Peterborough riders trying to ride Areana Essex before it had a safety fence and getting excluded for going too wide :)

Watching the Inter-Continental Final at White City

Watching speedway in a full Wembley Stadium

Being in the crowd for the filming of King Cinder

Buying replica race-jackets in the club shop and wearing it as you rode round on your Grifter push bike at home

Getting home after speedway to eat buttered crumpets as you watched the Muppets on TV

Riders with proper names like Dingle Brown and Tiger Beech

Seeing loads of Banners at speedway

Driving up to away meetings and (a) being passed by the riders doing over 100 (B) seeing loads of other cars with the team scarf's jammed in the top of the car windows

Cars with speedway related Sun Visors

Wearing the race jacket and blue tinted googles blagged from the pits at the end of meetings

as my cousins, mates and me raced round the block on Choppers all wanting to be Jessop, Wilson, Collins or Boulger.

Tuesday night meetings at Blackbird Road

My uncle always getting the hump with someone trying to get off Brandon car park :lol:

Going to Wembley

Visiting Kings Lynn or Ipswich as part of our family holiday to Hunstanton

Riders with side burns and so much hair they would have never got a New Era baseball cap on :lol:

:)

Edited by bornagainlion

BLRC at Hyde Road

Speedway Express

Open meetings that seemed to be worth watching and winning

The WC qualifying rounds at British tracks

The European Final

Speedway on World of Sport

Speedway being the 2nd largest spectator sport next to football

The Swedes

The year the Swedes were banned