British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mikebrn

1973 Daily Mirror Int Tournament

Hi team,

Not sure where best place is to ask this question so given the nature of this mag I thought I would try here.

I am looking for details of this huge tournament (staged over about three weeks) from 1973. I can get a lot of the stats from Brian Collins excellent website but I was looking for more of a narrative - ie, details of what went on in each of the heats of the 21 qualifying matches, two semis and final (actually the final is covered in the book 100 greatest matches so that is sorted).

Should I look for the 1974 yearbook or are there any back issues of Backtrack that might cover it?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

What info do you want ?, I do have all Speedway Stars mags from 1973. which covers all details of this tournament.

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Oct 28 2008, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What info do you want ?, I do have all Speedway Stars mags from 1973. which covers all details of this tournament.

Thanks - Must confess did not think of old Speedway Stars (quite why I'm not sure........ !).

I am looking for "narrative behind the stats" on the 21 qiualifying meetings and two semis - ie, details of the actual racing in the heats as well as the stat summaries (although Brian Collins' site does have this).

Do you have a note of the issue numbers that would cover this tournament? Do they come up on Ebay often, do you think, as I could keep an eye out for them that way.

Thanks for your reply and offer to help. Very kind.

Mike

Hi Mike

The 1973 Speedway Star issues, that you require are July 7, July 14 & July 21.

Hope that helps.

Robbie B

Just looked on eBay, full set of July 1973 on there for 70p start price. List is below. ONLY ONE DAY TO GO

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-SPEEDWAY-...id=p3286.c0.m14

Edited by Robbie B

I have a copy of the programme for Saturday 14th July with England versus Sweden and Great Britain v the Rest of the World. The evening started at 6.00 pm with the final at 7.15 and the second meeting at 8.30pm. The programme race details etc are complete.

As an aside the guests of honour were Ed Stewart and Carol Hawkins.

To the winners of the meeting they received a trophy, medal and £100

To the losers medals plus £40

The rider with the highest points for the winning team got a further £50 and the higest scorer from the losing team got £25

The Final was drawn and in the run off Peter Collins fell but awarded the win with Anders Michanek being excluded.

If you would like any more information let me know.

In the Final, the number 8s for England & Sweden were Dave Jessup & Bengt Larsson, both riders did not get a ride though.

As an aside the guests of honour were Ed Stewart and Carol Hawkins.

Here's an obscure question..: what's the connection between Carol Hawkins and the Cearns family who ran Wimbledon Speedway/Stadium for so many years..??

It's a little tenuous ..!!!

I won the ebay auction - thanks for your tip. The mags were delivered today while I was at work (I got my son to ring me as soon as there was sign of them !!).

Mike

Carol Hawkins is a name I have not heard in a while (I assume its the Please, Sir variety). I used to fancy her summat rotten but that's a topic best saved for another type of forum.............

Mike

Mike, glad that you won the eBay auction for the Speedway Stars.

You'll find that in the Swden vs U.S.S.R. match some heat details are wrong, with regards Tommy Jansson's races. These are the correct details.

Friday 29 June (Daily Mirror International Tournament) (Hackney)

Sweden 49 Bengt Jansson 12, Anders Michanek 12, Bernt Persson 7, Christer Sjosten 7, Tommy Jansson 5, Christer Lofqvist 5, Olle Nygren 1

U.S.S.R. 29 Vladimir Gordeev 13, Anatoli Kuzmin 5, Vladimir Zaplechny 5, Oleg Dzjadick 3, Gregori Chlinovsky 3, Aleksander Pavlov 0, Georgi Ivanov 0

Heat 3 Dzjadick, T.Jansson, Persson, Zaplechny (ef) 66.6

Heat 5 Persson, Kuzmin, T.Jansson, Gordeev (I don't have time for this heat - someone on forum might)

Heat 9 Gordeev, Persson, T.Jansson, Ivanov 66.0

Heat 12 B.Jansson, Zaplechny, T.Jansson, Ivanov 66.8

Cearns & Carol Hawkins in the back of my mind somewhere, just won't come too me.

They could do with a tournament like this on national TV now, such a great shame that it won't happen.

Edited by Robbie B

Thanks for this - I need the exact details so this correction is perfect. I am obliged.

Can I ask two questions if you know this:-

USSR fielded Gordeev (I believe their best rider) as a reserve. Speedway Star thinks this was against the rules but allowed to stand. Are/were there restirctions for national teams on who rode where based on grade / average etc?

Secondly, there appears to have been a debate when Sweden used Michanek as a T/S. Any idea under what circs a T/S could be used in this competition?

I am sorry for the dull questions (Carol Hawkins questions would certainly have been spicier..............)

Cheers,

Mike

Here's an obscure question..: what's the connection between Carol Hawkins and the Cearns family who ran Wimbledon Speedway/Stadium for so many years..??

It's a little tenuous ..!!!

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Nov 1 2008, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cearns & Carol Hawkins in the back of my mind somewhere, just won't come too me.

I am sorry for the dull questions (Carol Hawkins questions would certainly have been spicier..............)

I was being a bit cheeky.. :wink:

The connection is actually with the character that Carol Hawkins went onto play in Please Sir!

The original 'Sharon' was played by Penny Wheeler - who after leaving the show was to marry Wimbledon General Manager (now at Stiingbourne's Central Park), Roger Cearns!!

For men of a certain age (eg. me), the 'original' Sharon was one of first crushes...: and she was infinitely more sexy than Ms. Hawkins - the latter being far more suited to roles in Carry On movies, which she "graduated" into after Please Sir..

Check out http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/pleasesir.htm for some px of the lovely Ms. Wheeler/Mrs. Cearns..!! :approve: