British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Chris Blewett

Thinking of Chris the other day is he still with us-anyone know?? What a wildman!!Any old Exeter fans know if he is around still-if so he beat all the odds!!

No, Cornishman Chris Blewett is no longer with us. I was in touch with his daughter a few years ago when she was looking for anything on his career, pics and progs, etc, to catch up with a that part of his life, and regretting not having taken more interest whilst he was around. (He had departed a number of years before that, so possibly gone 5-10yrs ago.) His enmity with fellow Cornishman and namesake Chris Julian was legendary, (though she reckoned it was hype,) and everyone looked forward to heats featuring the two, - even if they were riding for the same team ! Climax of Chris B's riding career was being chosen for England against USSR at Exeter in 1966. Chris Julian, as well as their mentor in the West Country, Trevor Redmond, has also departed.

Picture shows Chris B with Martin Ashby and Geof Mudge at the Presentation of The Plymouth Cup, at Exeter, 1966. 2915854620103948496S200x200Q85.jpg

It was so sad to see that Chris is no longer with us. I remember his smiling face from the sixties at the County Ground as if yesterday, it's hard to believe that his smiling face is no longer with us and when I read the news it reinforced my thoughts on how life is so short and must be treasured. All I can say is thanks Chris for those lovely speedway moments, I am sure many reflect on your exciting riding, oh how you entertained us all. One particular moment comes to mind when before the evenings racing started you did your parade lap and riding past the Stands you were smiling and waving to the crowd and never saw the tractor and rake and sadly clipped it and came off.Thankfully you were ok. Thanks Chris for priceless moments, wish you were still here.

I spoke to Chris before he passed away and he told me that he was born in Toronto, Canada.

I'm a bit sad I never saw him ride as he retired before I started going to the speedway but would have loved to have seen him in full flight around the Country Ground.

HI TigerOwl, I fouund out the other day about Chris being born over here in Canada as it was in a book written recently. I was doubting it but as you sppke to the man himself it is confirmed. Need to get his details to add to my collection of bio's on Canadians riding in the Uk...

Tiger Tom

I spoke to Chris before he passed away and he told me that he was born in Toronto, Canada.

I'm a bit sad I never saw him ride as he retired before I started going to the speedway but would have loved to have seen him in full flight around the Country Ground.

Hi Tom,

He was born Christopher Blewett in Toronto on June 18 1929.

He died in June 2002.

Career Record - Plymouth 1961-62, Neath 1962, St. Austell 1963, Glasgow 1964, Exeter 1964-69

Matt

hi i remember chris well we allways remember the night he came out of the first bend and ended up flying through the air and hitting one of the light posts a few feet above the safty fence it went very quiet i cant remember if he was hurt or not ,not sure of the year62-65 perhaps somebody else can, also what about ray wickett another in the same mould, graham locke

Edited by boston five

hi i remember chris well we allways remember the night he came out of the first bend and ended up flying through the air and hitting one of the light posts a few feet above the safty fence it went very quiet i cant remember if he was hurt or not ,not sure of the year62-65 perhaps somebody else can, also what about ray wickett another in the same mould, graham locke

Spoke to Glyn Chandler who says accident happened at Exeter in 1963 while he and Chris were both riding for St Austell. Follow St Austell team mate Ray Wickett passed away several years ago.

HI Matt... good info for me to start on. Wonder when he came to England.? Most likely had British parents!

When will you be doing the 1930's disc????

Tiger Tom.....

Hi Tom,

He was born Christopher Blewett in Toronto on June 18 1929.

He died in June 2002.

Career Record - Plymouth 1961-62, Neath 1962, St. Austell 1963, Glasgow 1964, Exeter 1964-69

Matt

hi track spare does glyn live in the channel islands also i think gorden bailey lived there to into antiques many years ago ?

Hi, You are correct, Glyn has lived in Alderney for the past 35 years and Gordon is still living in Guernsey. Both are in their early seventies and still going strong.

Although it was around 1965 I can see Chris Blewett as if yesteday. I remember him fondly and those days. He was a bit harum scarum, I remember even before the racing one evening he was doing the parade lap prior to the racing and instead of watching where he was going he was waving to the crowd and hit the tractor and rake. Thankfully he was not badly hurt but thanks Chris for all of those lovely days and memories and the broad smile you always gave to us.