British Speedway Forum

Sandie. The profits will go to a worthy cause, Poole Speedway to keep the club running in the black. Can't get better than that in these harsh times.

Fans moaned when the Chapions Of Champions was named, saying it was a disgrace and what about Tim Stone memorial etc. now Poole have done that ( They could have called it anything) more fans moan! It's absolutely ridiculous.

Newport fans will I am sure have every opportunity to pay a minutes solience to Tim Stone when newport opens its doors in March for their first meeting. Or they coould organise a coach and come down to Poole on the 4th january to pay their respects, as I am sure there will be a minutes silence for Tim at Poole.

Sorry for being cynical Steve but do you know this, have you read this or are you just assuming this.

It would be a very wise move for the promotion to offer a new press release offering a little bit more in clarity.

If we were talking about a previously defunct track becoming active again then I think there would be less unhappiness. But as tanya has said - Newport fans havent yet returned to their stadium home and said their farewell yet.

Is Matt intending to invite Newport riders and premier riders dear to Tims heart or will those riding be there because they are being paid rather than because they are riding for Tim.

Obviously knowing one of Tims final team closely I do feel passionate that these boys are not forgotten in all this.

Please Matt Ford tell us a little bit more. I think we now must accept this meeting will be in Poole but a lot more thought is needed regarding the delicate nature of running this event.

I love the way the Newport fans have been made out to be the bad guys in all of the threads regarding this meeting which was just short sightedness by the Poole fans in my opinion, but most of the people who have voiced their objections since this rename are all from fans from other tracks!

There's been some serious back-tracking here.

Faster than a Fiat tank. :wink:

I love the way the Newport fans have been made out to be the bad guys in all of the threads regarding this meeting which was just short sightedness by the Poole fans in my opinion, but most of the people who have voiced their objections since this rename are all from fans from other tracks!

Yes, i am surprised. I thought it would be the newport fans that wouldn't be impressed with us calling it the new year classic after the champions idea didn't quite work out.

Edited by lisa-colette

I'm off to put some cotton wool in my ears before the moaning starts!

Is this some kind of crazy Dorest love-making technique? :o:unsure:

Any meeting held in the memory of Tim Stone should be held at Newport. What most people don't realise is that the people that supported Newport over the years have not had the opportunity to pay a minutes silence to him like other tracks have. The New Year Classic was an individual meeting run by Tim Stone at Newport.

Totally agree tanya. I'll consider whether or not to go once the line-up is known, but if the meeting is being held in Tim's honour then it should be nowhere else but Newport. :rolleyes:

I don't think that's the case at all about the Newport fans or your comment about the Poole fans either to be honest. There was always going to be a lot of emotion attached to a meeting that the Newport fans felt was 'theirs', particularly with everything else surrounding the club. As Poole fans, on our part, we've had to sit and read some pretty nasty postings about our club in respect of this meeting, so I don't think you can blame some of our number of fans for not wanting to sit back and take all the crap thrown, however much we might have empathised with the bare bones of the Newport fans' case.

Personally I wish we didn't have the damn meeting, and Newport could have it back with pleasure. It seems to have caused nothing but bad feeling since the day it was announced. Having said that, we are lumbered with it and FWIW, it doesn't sit easily with me that it's called the NYC. That should have been left well alone and a totally unrelated title used. I knew the moment I saw the name change that it would cause just as many negative comments as the original decision for us to stage the meeting did, if not moreso

Edited by rabbit

I don't think that's the case at all about the Newport fans or your comment about the Poole fans either to be honest. There was always going to be a lot of emotion attached to a meeting that the Newport fans felt was 'theirs', particularly with everything else surrounding the club. As Poole fans, on our part, we've had to sit and read some pretty nasty postings about our club in respect of this meeting, so I don't think you can blame some of our number of fans for not wanting to sit back and take all the crap thrown, however much we might have empathised with the bare bones of the Newport fans' case.

Personally I wish we didn't have the damn meeting, and Newport could have it back with pleasure. It seems to have caused nothing but bad feeling since the day it was announced. Having said that, we are lumbered with it and FWIW, it doesn't sit easily with me that it's called the NYC. That should have been left well alone and a totally unrelated title used. I knew the moment I saw the name change that it would cause just as many negative comments as the original decision for us to stage the meeting did, if not moreso

But it is, your an Elite League club with no connection to Newport apart from they both run Speedway. So your fans are going to stand up for what they think it right and so are the Newport fans. So times like this you need to step back and get a neutral point of view and by the looks of the the fans from other tracks agree with Newport fans side of things. Poole is a Speedway town without doubt, so the chance for you to have an out of season meeting is exciting. We were the same when Newport were attracting crowds of 2500 ish. I was fine with it being called something different, but don't like it being called the NYC.

When you've got Steve Shovlar selectively quoting press releases to further his point and then saying that Newport fans have acted badly through this it is obviously going to get their back up and cause bad feeling.

I don't know why Matt Ford didn't just call it the Blue Ribbon or whatever your individual meeting used to be called. That way it would distance itself from the New Year Classic and give the Poole fans something to relate too.

But it is, your an Elite League club with no connection to Newport apart from they both run Speedway. So your fans are going to stand up for what they think it right and so are the Newport fans. So times like this you need to step back and get a neutral point of view and by the looks of the the fans from other tracks agree with Newport fans side of things. Poole is a Speedway town without doubt, so the chance for you to have an out of season meeting is exciting. We were the same when Newport were attracting crowds of 2500 ish. I was fine with it being called something different, but don't like it being called the NYC.

When you've got Steve Shovlar selectively quoting press releases to further his point and then saying that Newport fans have acted badly through this it is obviously going to get their back up and cause bad feeling.

I don't know why Matt Ford didn't just call it the Blue Ribbon or whatever your individual meeting used to be called. That way it would distance itself from the New Year Classic and give the Poole fans something to relate too.

I think we're at slightly crossed purposes here - I was responding to your comment 'I love the way the Newport fans have been made out to be the bad guys in all of the threads regarding this meeting which was just short sightedness by the Poole fans in my opinion'. It seemed a very sweeping generalisation and not something I had thought in my reading of the threads.

I agree with you in part - I can see exactly why it all kicked off - small club in unfortunate current circumstances has their prestige event whipped from under their noses by the big bad rich club - that's human nature and demonstated on here virtually every month when something happens for those who love a bit of indignation to go off on one until the next saga occurs, even if they're not even vaguely concerned about the incident other than for some good scandal value or to stick the boot into a club/team/rider they don't like. And I'm sure I've been just as guilty in the past too. ;) Where I don't agree is that the Shovvy effect is supposedly enough to get everyone going to such an extent to justify some of the comments that were made, some of which were well out of order, regardless of the circumstances.

As I said earlier, I don't think it should be called the New Year classic either, nor do I think it should be specifically promoted as in memory of Tim - I think it raises all sorts of questions (some of which have been asked on here already) and which, if not answered satisfactorily in the eyes of some posters are likely to generate further negative comments before the meeting is done. It would have been (in my opinion) 'safer' to have gone for a neutral name - like the Blue Riband and be done with it and let any association with meetings past be left for Newport to pick up again should they wish to. Perhaps details will be released which will keep everyone happy, but we shall see.

Edited by rabbit

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Sandie. The profits will go to a worthy cause, Poole Speedway to keep the club running in the black. Can't get better than that in these harsh times.

Fans moaned when the Chapions Of Champions was named, saying it was a disgrace and what about Tim Stone memorial etc. now Poole have done that ( They could have called it anything) more fans moan! It's absolutely ridiculous.

Newport fans will I am sure have every opportunity to pay a minutes solience to Tim Stone when newport opens its doors in March for their first meeting. Or they coould organise a coach and come down to Poole on the 4th january to pay their respects, as I am sure there will be a minutes silence for Tim at Poole.

Strange how your opinions change!

Here is something you said earlier about calling it the New Year Classic or using Tim Stone's name:

"It certainly should be when it returns to Newport. But it would be wrong to call it that this time around as Tim Stone had no connection with Poole and in marketing terms the name will mean little or nothing to the average Poole fan. And before anyone jumps on that comment, I don't mean it disrespectfully. Hence perhaps the reason the name is being changed from NYC to Champion of Champions.

When, or if, it returns to Newport, it should be called the Tim Stone Memorial Trophy."

For myself as a Newport Supporter the fact that the Winter meeting has gone to Poole is now irrelevant, it's there and there is nothing we can do about it. I just believe that if anyone is having a memorial meeting for Tim Stone it should be the team that has the most association with him and the team that he run as best he could for the best part of 10 years.

It's obvious to me that the Memorial meeting should be at Newport and yes at the beginning of March, that is when we are expecting to do it now. But for Poole to hijack the name and our opportunity of being the team to run his memorial meeting seems farsicle and a little insensitive.

Still can't believe people are making such a fuss about this.

Still can't believe people are making such a fuss about this.

Possibly because the loss of this meeting could so easily have ended any hope of Newports return.

For myself though it is the cynical exploitation of whatever the Poole promotion thinks will get the most people through the gate. I have no problem with Promoters doing their best to bring crowds into their stadiums in normal circumstances. Indeed Poole are one of, if not the best at that very thing and therefore have probably the biggest and most succesful club in the country. However in this instance it is my opinion that they have thrown any decency or respect for the memory a good friend of mine out of the window in the rush to make money.

Any reason why both Poole and Newport cannot do the New Year Classic. Poole the EL version and Newport the PL version?

>>>said it on the other topic and got no reply. If it passes this topic, it must be ok.