Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

It wasn't as cold as i thought it would be today, had far too many layers on & far too much soup & coffee in the end.

So the question is had the water pipes really frozen or was Mr Ford saving some dosh? :P

God it was dusty, i half expected Ted Rogers & his sidekick to tap me on the shoulder. :D

All said & done the lads out there put on a decent show, but now it should go back to where it belongs for 2010, which i'm sure will be obliged.

Riders that impressed include Piszcz, Frampton, Jankowski. Also nice to see Robbo get stuck in, Bridger infuriated me in 19 though, why oh why?

Now to the final, I have to say that i would have had no complaints with Adam winning as he deserved it, but he should know that you race to the line, he didn't to his cost.

So, Congratulations to COVENTRY BEES BEN BARKER :approve:

That's the 1st trophy done & dusted :wink:

Edited by colincooke

Blinding meeting today, and the bickering comments from those who weren't there mean nothing. Those who were there saw a cracking afternoon of racing, full of passing and incident. This was a meeting that reminded me why I love this sport - maybe I'm biased but reaction from those from around the country should vindicate me. Sure it was dry and dusty, but the racing was top drawer and full credit firstly to Matt for putting the line-up together and secondly to the riders, all of whom put on a great show. The politics of next year and 'ownership' of this meeting should be left well alone, and let this meeting stand on it's merits. Big credit to Ben Barker - a little erratic at times but some gutsy riding to get that win. If he and the other British youngsters can smooth some of the rough edges, we should have some exciting times ahead in the coming years - who needs the 'names'?

Brilliant to see a healthy crowd made up of fans from all leagues and all around the country. I hope you enjoyed it and safe travel home. Personally, it was great to see Stilton Panther again and also some of my Poole buddies, and also to Pammie, her dad and Barrie - great to see you guys and thanks for such a laugh out last night. :approve:

A fantastic meeting. Great entertainment with a field of fully committed riders who were very evenly matched.

I have attended the New Year Classic every year since 2004 and I have not commented on the Poole / Newport debate over this year's meeting, trying to keep an open mind prior to the meeting itself. But now I have returned from the meeting I feel more qualified to comment. I have no affiliation with either Newport or Poole so my comments are objective. I have always enjoyed the New Year Classic in years gone by but, put simply, the standard of racing, quality of riders and presentation on offer made this the best New Year Classic I have been to. Yes it was dusty early on and the track was slick, but it didn't affect the racing or the viewing so it didn't cause particular problems. One thing I was not unhappy to see the back of was the 12 rider field that seemed to always be part and parcel of the Newport event. The traditional 16 rider formula works much better.

Whatever happens to this meeting in the future, Poole have set the standard for other New Year meetings to follow.

It wasn't as cold as i thought it would be today, had far too many layers on & far too much soup & coffee in the end.

So the question is had the water pipes really frozen or was Mr Ford saving some dosh?

God it was dusty, i half expected Ted Rogers & his sidekick to tap me on the shoulder.

All said & done the lads out there put on a decent show, but now it should go back to where it belongs for 2010, which i'm sure will be obliged.

Riders that impressed include Piszcz, Frampton, Jankowski. Also nice to see Robbo get stuck in, Bridger infuriated me in 19 though, why oh why?

Now to the final, I have to say that i would have had no complaints with Adam winning as he deserved it, but he should know that you race to the line, he didn't to his cost.

He wasn't riding for coventry today, sorry! :wink: The trophy belongs to ben not coventry. A bees fan desperate to call any trophy theirs or what! :shock:

Blinding meeting today, and the bickering comments from those who weren't there mean nothing. Those who were there saw a cracking afternoon of racing, full of passing and incident. This was a meeting that reminded me why I love this sport - maybe I'm biased but reaction from those from around the country should vindicate me. Sure it was dry and dusty, but the racing was top drawer and full credit firstly to Matt for putting the line-up together and secondly to the riders, all of whom put on a great show. The politics of next year and 'ownership' of this meeting should be left well alone, and let this meeting stand on it's merits. Big credit to Ben Barker - a little erratic at times but some gutsy riding to get that win. If he and the other British youngsters can smooth some of the rough edges, we should have some exciting times ahead in the coming years - who needs the 'names'?

Brilliant to see a healthy crowd made up of fans from all leagues and all around the country. I hope you enjoyed it and safe travel home. Personally, it was great to see Stilton Panther again and also some of my Poole buddies, and also to Pammie, her dad and Barrie - great to see you guys and thanks for such a laugh out last night. :approve:

It was lovely to meet you again Rabbit and as I've always said about your posts...the voice of reason and fairness.

It was lovely to meet you again Rabbit and as I've always said about your posts...the voice of reason and fairness.

How much did she paid you to say that ? :lol:

Edited by orion

Yes it was cold, yes it was dusty ( no fault of Poole) and yes it was a long drive home but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the meeting. Skorniki did look untouchable in the heats but a classy final bend from Ben Barker in the final was the climax of some exciting racing.

Very impressed with Jankowski, Barker and Piszcz. Although some of the others did not perform as I would have expected, it was a first meeting so well done to all for putting on such a great show.I have tried my hardest to warm to Lewis Bridger but he always does something stupid like heat 8 when Ben beat him and in heat 20 causing 3 riders off. Great to get a methanol fix so early and pleased to meet several from this forum. The only negative for me was the £3 for the programme.

nice to see good comments coming from our visitors,pity about the dust but it didn,t spoil the racing,must admit i half expected the price hike for the programme.

:oops:

How much dad she paid you to say that ? :lol:

Cheeky sod...back in yer box :lol:

Should add...Piszcz looked very good - look forward to seeing him in our colours. Mad soul was doing about a dozen laps of the track jogging before the meeting so surprised he had any energy left to ride. When he did he looked very smooth and stylish - was expecting some wild moves, but alas no. ;) Also, impressed with Jordan Frampton - I like this guy a lot and think he's going to be a rider to look out for. Certainly not out of his depth this afternoon and claimed some notable scalps - wish he could be our No8 again this year, but if not, hopefully someone will give him some rides in the EL this season.

So the question is had the water pipes really frozen or was Mr Ford saving some dosh? :P

God it was dusty, i half expected Ted Rogers & his sidekick to tap me on the shoulder. :D

Im pleased you put those smilies in re the question about the frozen pipes, because i would have taken it quite seriously if you had not!. The pipes were frozen and no water could have been put on the track otherwise you would have seen ice Speedway, and we had no avaliable chains nor spiked tyres!!. :rolleyes:

The dust couldn't be helped, at least we got a meeting, and a very good one at that!. Proves one thing, you don't need TOP class riders to produce a exciting and close racing meeting!!.

Our promotion must take the credit here for putting on the meeting in memory of Tim Stone, given this time of year so many things could have gone wrong for the meeting not to go ahead!.

I must also mention all the track staff who did a superb job in getting the track and airfences sorted in difficult conditions!!.

Well Done to All the riders for taking part in this meeting, when they could have been sat at home by the fire!. Well done Ben Barker, and unlucky Adam!.

Edited by Starman2006

Decent meeting given the state of the track.....Definitely not as cold as Sittingbourne last Sunday, no wind chill for a start.....As mentioned earlier, three quid for a programme was a rip off.....Not sure how Robbo will cope in the Elite league if he doesn't sharpen up his gating, especially at the gating tarts paradise that is Lakeside.

Well having now thawed myself out what can I say? What a great meeting! Brilliant racing all afternoon from a very even field. Star man Skornicki was clearly the best rider on display but fell asleep on the final lap of the final and allowed a 50 metre lead to disappear in three quarts of a lap. Bet he was kicking himself on that one. Really silly of him.

A very good crowd turned up with fans from all over the country. Saw Mildenhall, Kings lynn, Coventry, plymouth, Somerset, Stoke, Peterborough, Reading, Wolverhampton, Redcar, Exeter, Swindon and of course Poole fans in attendance and I should think nearly all clubs were represented by fans.

On entering the stadium I noticed the track was bone dry, but having asked about it, the riders didn't want any water put down. It was so cold it could have frozen the surface. Understandable for them as the track was extremely smooth. But it didn't affect the racing at all with some brilliant heats throughout the whole meeting.

Star of the show was adam Skornicki who was dominant throughout except for the last lap of the final. Other riders of note were ben barker, who is erratic in the extreme but fun to watch, Jankowski, who really should be picked up, and bridger who made a real t*t of himself in his final heat which blew him out of the final due to stupid riding.

Noteworthy of a mention are Frampton, who after a poor first ride rode superbly to take some scalps, Piczsz, who looks like a great signing for Poole away meetings, and Kennett, who perhaps should have done better overall due to his track experience.

I doubt anyone left the stadium disapointed with racing like that. Now to start a campaign to keep the NYC at Poole in 2010!

;):P

He should be at Belle Vue another management cock up.

Might have been worth at least reading the last couple of pages before making your post Col.. many have explained it was dusty because if water was put down it would froze and made the track virtually un-rideable.. but that surely would have been common sense? ;)

How did the crowd today compare to a regular league match?

He wasn't riding for coventry today, sorry! :wink: The trophy belongs to ben not coventry. A bees fan desperate to call any trophy theirs or what! :shock:

Hes a cov rider so he is Representing cov.