British Speedway Forum

Any reason why both Poole and Newport cannot do the New Year Classic. Poole the EL version and Newport the PL version?

>>>said it on the other topic and got no reply. If it passes this topic, it must be ok.

Can't see any reason why anyone should have a problem with that.

Strange how your opinions change!

Here is something you said earlier about calling it the New Year Classic or using Tim Stone's name:

"It certainly should be when it returns to Newport. But it would be wrong to call it that this time around as Tim Stone had no connection with Poole and in marketing terms the name will mean little or nothing to the average Poole fan. And before anyone jumps on that comment, I don't mean it disrespectfully. Hence perhaps the reason the name is being changed from NYC to Champion of Champions.

When, or if, it returns to Newport, it should be called the Tim Stone Memorial Trophy."

And I agree with that comment.

I am not the person who has decided to change the name to NYC. Like Rabbit, I woould have steered well clear of any connection between this meeting and Newport.

But the promoter can call it what he likes and if he feels he wants to call it the NYC in memory of Tim Stone, that's his business.

For myself as a Newport Supporter the fact that the Winter meeting has gone to Poole is now irrelevant, it's there and there is nothing we can do about it. I just believe that if anyone is having a memorial meeting for Tim Stone it should be the team that has the most association with him and the team that he run as best he could for the best part of 10 years.

It's obvious to me that the Memorial meeting should be at Newport and yes at the beginning of March, that is when we are expecting to do it now. But for Poole to hijack the name and our opportunity of being the team to run his memorial meeting seems farsicle and a little insensitive.

It would appear that it is not yet definite that the Newport track will be back. Apparently, the people in question have to decide by 2nd December.

However, I do hope that we shall see Newport running in the PL next season.

Who said that I had no intention of coming? I might like soggy mince pies! :D

If there are 1 or 2 Robins in action then I could well be tempted. Nonetheless the fact that the goalposts are moving already in terms of participants doesn't augur well. :rolleyes:

No disrespect to anyone but Terry Day, Alex McLeod, Jamie Dixon and Scott Day may be on the list

I don't think that's the case at all about the Newport fans or your comment about the Poole fans either to be honest. There was always going to be a lot of emotion attached to a meeting that the Newport fans felt was 'theirs', particularly with everything else surrounding the club. As Poole fans, on our part, we've had to sit and read some pretty nasty postings about our club in respect of this meeting, so I don't think you can blame some of our number of fans for not wanting to sit back and take all the crap thrown, however much we might have empathised with the bare bones of the Newport fans' case.

Personally I wish we didn't have the damn meeting, and Newport could have it back with pleasure. It seems to have caused nothing but bad feeling since the day it was announced. Having said that, we are lumbered with it and FWIW, it doesn't sit easily with me that it's called the NYC. That should have been left well alone and a totally unrelated title used. I knew the moment I saw the name change that it would cause just as many negative comments as the original decision for us to stage the meeting did, if not moreso

As usual a thought out an balanced view Rabsy

Like you many other Poole supporters feel the same. As usual one spoils the pot.

For me just occasionally in life the moral issue is greater than the financial one (its ok steve shovelit you wont understand that sentence), and out of respect to Mr Stone and his people the right thing to do would have been to make this a real memorial to the man, and make a contribution from any profits to the Heart Foundation as sensibly mentioned by a previous poster. Stage it by all means but if you are going to use the name then do it right!!

Unfortunately many will see Matt Ford's behaviour as being depressingly similair to that of his greatest fan, you know the guy who loves to boast on here about his holidays, how he made loads of money bringing cheap goods back from the US, etcetc yawn

Unfortunately many on here associate Poole with Steve Shovelit which is very sad as a great club gets tarnished by one person

But the promoter can call it what he likes and if he feels he wants to call it the NYC in memory of Tim Stone, that's his business.

Personally I feel it would be the business of Tim's next of kin more than anybody else, perhaps you could ask your mate what Tim's step-father said when he was asked about running the meeting as a memorial and let us all know the answer.

Personally I feel it would be the business of Tim's next of kin more than anybody else, perhaps you could ask your mate what Tim's step-father said when he was asked about running the meeting as a memorial and let us all know the answer.

Why don't you phone the Poole speedway office and ask him yourself?

:rolleyes:

Why don't you phone the Poole speedway office and ask him yourself?

:rolleyes:

We'll take that as a pass shall we. :wink::lol:

We'll take that as a pass shall we. :wink::lol:

To be honest CC I really don't care. Sorry but all I want to do is turn up on the 4th January, watch a fun speedway meetng, then go home and have dinner. And then wait for the speedway season to start and see how we can defend our title.

All the petty nit picking on here does Newport and their supporters no good at all. A shame they can't let it go, even if it for one season only. :rolleyes:

My apologies to every other Poole fan at the moment but if you could read my mind at this moment you really wouldnt like what I am thinking. And I dare not post it as I will have an instant ban!!!!! :mad:

There's not point arguing Poole are getting the meeting they are calling it the NYC and are having it as a memorial to another teams owner/promoter. Just hope it never happens to them.

There's not point arguing Poole are getting the meeting they are calling it the NYC and are having it as a memorial to another teams owner/promoter. Just hope it never happens to them.

imagine if the situation was reversed and it was poole who was mourning,would they like it if another track took the name of their late promoter and put the meeting on somewhere else. i dont think so , poole would be up in arms!!!!! i think they should just stick with the name they had originally for this meeting.

My apologies to every other Poole fan at the moment but if you could read my mind at this moment you really wouldnt like what I am thinking. And I dare not post it as I will have an instant ban!!!!! :mad:

Why have you now got yourself in a twist? :blink:

Can't see what I have posted to cause any offence. The meeting at Poole should be a fun day out and I hope it is for all those who come along to watch some winter speedway.

If you have read something else into my post you are sadly mistaken.

imagine if the situation was reversed and it was poole who was mourning,would they like it if another track took the name of their late promoter and put the meeting on somewhere else. i dont think so , poole would be up in arms!!!!! i think they should just stick with the name they had originally for this meeting.

Yeah lets call it the champion of champions when not all of them are champions. That makes sense!

Yeah lets call it the champion of champions when not all of them are champions. That makes sense!

Maybe not - but maybe something like the South Coast Open would be more appropriate