British Speedway Forum

Maybe not - but maybe something like the South Coast Open would be more appropriate

Yeah, it would be - but there's only one person who can change the name unfortunately!

To be honest CC I really don't care. Sorry but all I want to do is turn up on the 4th January, watch a fun speedway meetng, then go home and have dinner. And then wait for the speedway season to start and see how we can defend our title.

All the petty nit picking on here does Newport and their supporters no good at all. A shame they can't let it go, even if it for one season only. :rolleyes:

Why have you now got yourself in a twist? :blink:

Can't see what I have posted to cause any offence.

I think maybe a lack of compassion and dismissiveness in your post Steve in respect of the death of Newports ex promoter and what the NYC classic means to them and some of the riders that rode for him.

Certainly if it was a meeting that was connected to our late promoter Colin Hill as something that used to be connected with him or the Falcons in such a way on a meeting I also would be offended by the remarks "all I want to do is turn up on the 4th January, watch a fun speedway meeting, then go home and have dinner. "

I think things will run a bit deeper and have more meaning than that post for some others on that day by the Newport fans when the meeting is over and you are eating your dinner Steve.

Edited by Nevs

Why don't you phone the Poole speedway office and ask him yourself?

:rolleyes:

I don't need to as I know the answer, just wondered what your version would be. Yet again you only answer the questions if you think they show Poole in a good light.

However if you or your Promoter ever had a conscience perhaps I could put it at rest a little. As a man of far more tolerance than myself at least and far more decency than yourself and your Promoter he is not against the idea.

In my opinion though the idea should never have been put forward in the first place without him being consulted and the FACT that it was speaks volumes about the way this meeting has been organised from the start.

If you think that consulting the next of kin about a memorial meeting is nit picking then that speaks volumes about about you also.

Edited by Vince

Wow a huge amount of bad feeling over this meeting. The way I see it is that Matt Ford, being that little bit sharper than all the other Promoters out there, has jumped in and obtained the license to run a speedway meeting in January that was traditionally held by the late Tim Stone at Newport. His right to do so.

The license to run was obviously freely available due to certain circumstances and I guess the affairs concerning the possible revival of Newport were up in the air at that time.

There is no doubt that this may well be a very lucrative meeting for Poole Speedway and it really should have detached itself from all things Newport.

Having now made a connection with the late Tim Stone, that does change things. If this is now a memorial meeting, then I guess there will be riders who will race for lesser or no fees and the whole complexion has changed. This can't now just be a meeting simply to fill the coffers at Poole.

Edited by Dogstar

Hmmmm. Let me think...

Nope. Still can't work out what all the fuss is about.

To be honest CC I really don't care. Sorry but all I want to do is turn up on the 4th January, watch a fun speedway meetng, then go home and have dinner. And then wait for the speedway season to start and see how we can defend our title.

All the petty nit picking on here does Newport and their supporters no good at all. A shame they can't let it go, even if it for one season only. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on that regarding seeing the meeting Steve, but i can see why some are still upset

Seems some have read my post in not the way it was intended.

When I said I don't really care, what i meant was I don't really care about all this pathetic whinging and moaning from certain quarters led from the front by Vince. I don't care to phone up Matt ford and ask on Vince behalf questions he already knows the answer to.

As a speedway fan I want to go along on the 4th, ENJOY the meeting, because fun and enjoyment is what its meant to be all about, then go home. Simple as that.

And Grachan I completely agree.

Seems some have read my post in not the way it was intended.

When I said I don't really care, what i meant was I don't really care about all this pathetic whinging and moaning from certain quarters led from the front by Vince. I don't care to phone up Matt ford and ask on Vince behalf questions he already knows the answer to.

As a speedway fan I want to go along on the 4th, ENJOY the meeting, because fun and enjoyment is what its meant to be all about, then go home. Simple as that.

And Grachan I completely agree.

Exactly Steve... Matt obtained the license to run the meeting in January so there should be no fuss over it. This speedway lark is a business after all! Those that want to go will go and those who have a bee in their bonnets won't bother. Truth is the meeting will be well attended and as much as I respected Tim Stone, my opinion is that this whole affair should have been handled differently.

Everyone connected to Tim has paid their respects and it's time to move on. Take all the sentiment away and this is just another speedway meeting.

If anyone's interested the first set of riders who are riding in this meeting are to be announced on weds.

Yes and there will be a mix of EL and PL riders to keep fans of both leagues happy.

Yes and there will be a mix of EL and PL riders to keep fans of both leagues happy.

Any former Wasps in the line-up?

That is something that would make alot of things much clearer.

Edited by colincooke

Come on down to the meeting on Wednesday night and find out CC. You can then discover at first hand who our first official Poole signing will be.

Come on down to the meeting on Wednesday night and find out CC. You can then discover at first hand who our first official Poole signing will be.

"Come on down" Steve?????? :unsure: Methinks you watch too much telly!!! :rolleyes:

I think i'm the one passing this time. :wink:

6 hours travelling for that, i think not.

OK Steve, with all the inside knowledge that you have, perhaps you could advise why the Poole promotion decided to dedicate the meeting to Tim (Newport Promoter) as an after thought and not right from the outset when they were granted the meeting, and it would be nice to think that your response would be the words of the Poole promotion rather than just yours