British Speedway Forum

OK Steve, with all the inside knowledge that you have, perhaps you could advise why the Poole promotion decided to dedicate the meeting to Tim (Newport Promoter) as an after thought and not right from the outset when they were granted the meeting, and it would be nice to think that your response would be the words of the Poole promotion rather than just yours

I don't speak for the Poole promotion. Personally I would have called it anything but NYC and left any memorial to Newport speedway.

Perhaps Matt rad these pages and thought he was doing the right thing by changing its name and doing a memorial? I have no idea.

Perhaps you could find out then ? The fact that you consider he is doing the "right thing" bears the question the right thing for WHO, he has no reason to want to stage a meeting in Poole in memory of Tim Stone - or has he ?

Maybe he has decided that because the Champion of Champions Meeting was not a feasible meeting due to the "x" numbers of reasons that it would be very fitting to have a complete change of heart and dedicate the meeting to the memory of a passed promoter who would have staged the NYC at Newport next year and he is intending to follow his heart felt sympathy all the way through and dedicate some of the proceeds of this meeting to Newport.

What a commendable gesture this would be - what a gentleman

Edited by newportspeedwayhh

Perhaps you could find out then ? The fact that you consider he is doing the "right thing" bears the question the right thing for WHO, he has no reason to want to stage a meeting in Poole in memory of Tim Stone - or has he ?

Maybe he has decided that because the Champion of Champions Meeting was not a feasible meeting due to the "x" numbers of reasons that it would be very fitting to have a complete change of heart and dedicate the meeting to the memory of a passed promoter who would have staged the NYC at Newport next year and he is intending to follow his heart felt sympathy all the way through and dedicate some of the proceeds of this meeting to Newport.

What a commendable gesture this would be - what a gentleman

May you should ask matt yourself, that way you'll get it straight from the horses mouth.

I didn't say he was doing the right thing. I said, "perhaps Matt thinks he is dong the right thing."

If you want to ask him yourself, phone the Poole speedway office in the week. The phone is normally manned. Or come down on Wednesday for the fans night and ask him face to face.

I didn't say he was doing the right thing. I said, "perhaps Matt thinks he is dong the right thing."

Sorry if I have mis understood your postings but I was given to believe that you would have the answer to my question and you appear to have alot of knowledge about other matters.

If you want to ask him yourself, phone the Poole speedway office in the week. The phone is normally manned. Or come down on Wednesday for the fans night and ask him face to face.

thank your for your guidance - I might just do that this week and thanks for your kind invitation but unfortunately I will be at our supporters group committee meeting on wednesday night.

Is there actually going to be a speedway meeting, or just lots of fans stood around bickering?

Is there actually going to be a speedway meeting, or just lots of fans stood around bickering?

Don't think there will be one without the other! :shock::wink:

Riders announced so far:

Daniel King, Lewis Bridger, Olly Allen, Stuart Robson, Eddie Kennett, David Howe and Emil Krammer.

Come on, 6 out of 7 brits is pretty good for us!!

Edited by lisa-colette

Renumeration?

Why don't you ask them?

Jesus! :rolleyes:

Edited by Steve Shovlar

And their pledge for riding in memory of TIM STONE is ............. ????

Give it a bleedin' rest. :rolleyes:

And their pledge for riding in memory of TIM STONE is ............. ????

For crying out loud...

Up until about a fortnight ago, me and by the sound of it 95% of the speedway attending public thought Newport speedway was finished. So, other teams, namely Poole have made their own plans for the forth coming year.

Suddenly Newport are back, although, with all due respect to those involved I'll believe it when I see it, and you expect all the plans made by other teams should be thrown out the window to accommodate the new Newport. Come off it.

As for the name, well Poole are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they call it New Year Classic then half the people will moan that it encroaches on the memory of what Newport have achieved and if they don't then half the people will moan that they are insensitive to the memory of Time Stone.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing a speedway meeting. I've been to the last two NYCs at Newport and yes, it's a shame there won't be one in 2009, but as I said, up until a fortnight ago from what I've read and heard on heree I thought there would never be Newport speedway ever again.

As a Newport fan, I'm afraid I have to agree with the most recent sentiments expressed in this thread.

The way things stand is that we are yet to be 100% confirmed as saved (Steve Mallett's words in last week's Star) and it will be another couple of weeks (12th December according to Mr Mallett) before he believes everything will be done and he gets the keys to the stadium.

Under those circumstances, we couldn't arrange to run the NYC even if we wanted to at such short notice and to expect other clubs to make their plans as necessary and then to drop them and break contracts with riders is extraordinary.

Maybe things could have been handled more sensitively, maybe the timing of some matters was unfortunate, maybe the naming of the event isn't quite right but professional sport is a hard business with financial and commercial matters uppermost in its continued existence and Newport fans do themselves and their club no favours by continuously bleating about this, that and the other.

Personally, I have a sneaking admiration for the way Poole go about their business. Professional speedway is not a charitable collective, it is a hard business and any club that forgets that faces extinction. If more promotors strived for the best for their clubs maybe we would all be in better shape.

Robbo riding is enough to get me there. Added with Olly too. :approve: Decent crop of EL boys there, and in all honesty it's already looking better than recent Newport line-ups for this event :)

I know a few of my fellow Poolites aren't overly impressed at the moment, but so far there's a good smattering of young, exciting Brits who ride Poole well. As long as the standard remains equal with this lot, it has the potential to be an entertaining afternoon.