British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 28

Issue 28 is out now, including:

MAIN MAN: FINN THOMSEN

He was one of Denmark¹s leading riders, but few who saw him doubt that Finn Thomsen could have achieved even more than three World Team Cup and two World Pairs medals to his name.

In our new in-depth, six-page exclusive interview with the former Wolverhampton and Hackney favourite, he candidly admits: "My downfall, and it was always my problem as a rider, is that I never had the ambition or desire in me to become World Champion. There was always a little something missing."

Tony Mac caught up with Finn, who also had BLK spells with Poole and Swindon before retiring in 1986, in Spain, where he reflects on what might have been.

As forthright as ever, our lead columnist JOHN BERRY also runs the rule over Thomsen¹s career and he admits: "We were never bosom pals and would not have made a natural mix."

ANDY SMITH

Three times British Champion and twice a World Finalist before going on to become one of England¹s original GP stars, ever-spectacular England star Andy Smith invited Martin Neal into his Stoke home to look back on the early part of his career for Belle Vue and Bradford. Andy told Backtrack: "I took out a Polish licence because I had no choice. I had to work. Sometimes I felt like quitting and I think most people in my position would have - but I still had ambition and I still wanted to race."

BLRCs of the 70s

We look back over the decade of the 70s at the 10 stagings of the British League Riders' Championship at Belle Vue, recalling the major incidents, spills and thrills of this annual individual classic that regularly attracted 20,000-plus crowds to the famous Manchester track. Barry Briggs, Ivan Mauger, Peter Collins, hat-trick hero Ole Olsen and John Louis all added their name to this prestigious title during the period under review.

PAT BLISS

As Reading leave their home after 23 years, Bob Radford recalls old times with Pat Bliss, who had the longest period of those involved in the Racers' management in the Smallmead era. Pat, who is now retired, says: "I've missed the day-to-day running of the Racers and the people, but not the politics of the sport."

RUDY MUTS

Following his chat with Henny Kroeze in our previous issue, Vitek Formanek caught up with Rudy Muts, another one-time leading Dutchman of the 70s, who had a lengthy spell in the British League with Wimbledon before a broken neck curtailed his track career. Looking back, Rudy admits: "Some people told me I was too nice to be a speedway rider. I think I was fair and didn't do anything bad to anyone. Maybe, if I had my time again, I would try to be a bit tougher."

ROBBIE GARDNER

A feature on the Northern scene in the early 70s, Robbie Gardner tells Richard Bott that it was the tragic death of a Newcastle team-mate that made him decide to end his own once promising racing career.

FELTON

There are precious few learning opportunities for would-be riders in Britain today but there was once a thriving training facility in the North-East of England. Martin Neal talks to Ken Marshall about how he, partner Will Hunter and other far-sighted enthusiasts helped to make some dreams come true at Felton.

Plus...Rod Haynes' column, Ipswich in Pictures, Q&As with Sean Courtney and announcer Laurence Rogers, your letters and, of course, another huge helping of speedway nostalgia from the 70s and 80s.

You can order this issue, or subscribe, online now direct from us at Retro Speedway

http://www.retro-speedway.com

Great pic. of Andy Smith, Reg Wilson & Sean Wilson!

Great pic. of Andy Smith, Reg Wilson & Sean Wilson!

I found an old Speedway Mail with that pic in, not long after Sean Wilson started out with the Tigers. Actually, it is quite an achievement that both Andy and Sean turned out to be competent riders I think. :)

Haven't got around to reading the whole of the mag yet, but I'm sure it will be up to its usual nostalgiafest standard :approve:

Edited by Tigerblade