British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 29

The great Barry Briggs will be our Main Man for Issue 29 of Backtrack and also in the next edition (No. 3) of Classic Speedway.

We'll be intervewing Briggo face-to-face next week, so does anybody have any specific questions you would like us to put to the four times world champion, about his career and all the many other things he has been involved in since he stopped riding in the BL in 1976?

The obvious question is ..........

Bernie Persson, Wembley, 1972.....his thoughts. Probably already well documented.............

Also, as a Robins fan :

His thoughts on leaving Swindon........

Returning to Swindon as a Wimbledon rider in 1974........

His relationship with Martin Ashby......(early doors, a bit rocky apparently)

His thoughts on son Tony's career........

How the Golden Greats series came about. I remember going to the first of these at Coventry in 1988 and it was a hugely enjoyable day. Also the subsequent Hall Of Fame at Donnington.

All the best

Rob

His relationship with Ivan Mauger....was it just a healthy rivalry, or did it go deeper than that?

His involvement with the dirt deflectors....how did they come about and does he think they've been successful?

His blueprint for the future of the sport in the UK..........

Edited by KevH

How the Golden Greats series came about. I remember going to the first of these at Coventry in 1988 and it was a hugely enjoyable day. Also the subsequent Hall Of Fame at Donnington.

All the best

Rob

Any chance of another 'Golden Greats' meeting?

OK, here's a few more:

* What does he make of the GP series?

* Did he knock off Ove Fundin in the run-off for the 1957 World Championship?

* Would did he think about representing Great Britain in the World Team Cup - would he preferred to be riding for New Zealand?

* Would he carried out his threat to quit British racing had handicap racing not been abolished in mid-1964?

* Did he think fellow New Zealander Ronnie Moore was too much of a gentleman on the track?

* Does Briggo think he was robbed of the 1964 BBC Sports Personality Of The Year award?

* His comeback in New Zealand in 1984 at the age of 49 onboard a "revolutionary" bike created a fair splash of publicity. Why does he think speedway gets so few column inches in the press these days?

All the best

Rob

I like to ask Briggo what period in his speedway career did he enjoy riding in the most, the 50s, 60s or 70s.

Also I remember his brilliant piece of action at Wimbledon, on the 19th August 1976, when Mike Curoso fell in front of him going round the 1st & 2nd bends, in the second half, and somehow Briggo managed to not only lay his bike down, but also lift his front wheel over Mike's crash helmet at the same time, thus avoiding a more serious accident. It said in the following week Wimbledon programme, that Mike Curoso helmet had tyre marks on, I dread to think what might had happened if Briggo never managed to lift his front wheel in time. The best bit of speedway riding skill I've ever seen.

Briggo is a true Wimbledon and speedway legend.

Edited by Robbie B