British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jonesy

Doncaster Stallions/dragons

George Devonport represented Doncaster in 1969, but failed to score, and Gordon McGregor rode in the 1970 event scoring one point.

Hec Hasslinger(Aussie Austrian) lives here in Perth. He rode for the team in 69 or 70 or both. I will ask him if I see him at his garage tomorrow!!

Hec Hasslinger(Aussie Austrian) lives here in Perth. He rode for the team in 69 or 70 or both. I will ask him if I see him at his garage tomorrow!!

He was known as Gunter in Speeday circles..........rode for Doncaster in 1970, and then moved over to Birmingham the following year.......any chance of finding out his date/place of birth please?

Edited by KevH

rode in 1970.no doncaster riders rode both seasons,very rare occurrence in succesive seasons.

He was known as Gunter in Speeday circles..........rode for Doncaster in 1970, and then moved over to Birmingham the following year.......any chance of finding out his date/place of birth please?

Hi Kev H

Gunter (Hec) Hasslinger was born on 27th February 1942 in Salzburg, Austria. He is happy to be included in any statistics. He is a really nice person, friendly etc. He rides his BMW to his own Garage business every day which he runs with his Son.

He emigrated to Perth in the 70,s and says hi to all speedway followers!

George Devonport represented Doncaster in 1969, but failed to score, and Gordon McGregor rode in the 1970 event scoring one point.

Thanks for the info. It must have been a bad night for Gordon in 1970 because despite riding for a struggling Doncaster team and coming to the end of his career he was still one of the better riders in the Division.

Hi Kev H

Gunter (Hec) Hasslinger was born on 27th February 1942 in Salzburg, Austria. He is happy to be included in any statistics. He is a really nice person, friendly etc. He rides his BMW to his own Garage business every day which he runs with his Son.

Thanks for the update. Good to know that Hec is keeping well. Has anyone got a season-by-season breakdown of his stats in British Speedway?

He wasn't the most prolific points scorer but he always gave it everything which is what fans appreciate above all else.

Has anyone got a season-by-season breakdown of his stats in British Speedway?

It was pretty brief, but according to "The Complete History of the British League", this is it:

.................................M.......R.......P.......CMA

1970 Doncaster.......31....125....156.....4.99

1971 Birmingham.....31....107....118.....4.41

Steve

Edited by chunky

Hi Kev H

Thanks very much asturmer.........very much appreciated.

It was pretty brief, but according to "The Complete History of the British League", this is it:

.................................M.......R.......P.......CMA

1970 Doncaster.......31....125....156.....4.99

1971 Birmingham.....31....107....118.....4.41

Steve

Thanks for the stats Steve.

On 12/11/2008 at 10:00 PM, KevH said:

Thanks very much asturmer.........very much appreciated.

Hi. I grew up at the stadium as it was owned by my family. I was a course Marshall for both the Stallions & Dragons seasons  I remember Gunther well as he used to keep his bike at the stadium. I also remember his wife and daughter (Sharon?). Not sure I recall his son being born then?

If you see Gunther then please pass on my very best regards to him and his family from me, Rod Bint.

Also, I have loads of programmes and memorabilia from the era, so I’ll have to look it out and share a few memories.

RodB

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 7:38 PM, RodB said:

Hi. I grew up at the stadium as it was owned by my family. I was a course Marshall for both the Stallions & Dragons seasons  I remember Gunther well as he used to keep his bike at the stadium. I also remember his wife and daughter (Sharon?). Not sure I recall his son being born then?

If you see Gunther then please pass on my very best regards to him and his family from me, Rod Bint.

Also, I have loads of programmes and memorabilia from the era, so I’ll have to look it out and share a few memories.

RodB

Hi Rod my friend knows a man Called Jack Lee who told him he rode some meetings for Doncaster in 1970,i wonder if you have any pictures of him riding  we would like to see them for poof he rode  thanke Bill

But was he as good as Josh Auty? ;)

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
Correction of fat finger syndrome