British Speedway Forum
Bryn

Andy Galvin

This entire forum has gone to Hell In a Handcart in recent months and its

starting to become a big joke worldwide.

Good point i had a mate who was on holiday in the Caribbean and he saw two locals shakeing there heads and looking unhappy when he asks them what the matter was they said "You know that British speedway forum it's really got downhill of late "

until proven guilty minds should remain open

More pathetic postings on here.

Its public knowledge now that hes been put in prison on remand. It was published in magazine for god sake!

Vega is actually right but some people don't like to know the truth.

Thanks wanna. I was gutted when I heard about the trouble Andy had got into he was my favourite speedway rider in the mid to late 80s and early 90s and I was delighted when he made a comeback in 2001. I seem to remember taking a lot of flak on here defending him when he came back.

Lets wait to see what happens it will come out in the speedway press anyway.

According to the Lakeside forum Andy has apparently got 2 years jail time for being caught with £62,500 of Cocaine concealed in a loaf of bread. Doesn't seem to have any links to newspaper reports, but nobody seems to be disputing the story.

I'm sure it was the first time he did anything like that, of course. :rolleyes:

Make of it what you will....

According to the Lakeside forum Andy has apparently got 2 years jail time for being caught with £62,500 of Cocaine concealed in a loaf of bread. Doesn't seem to have any links to newspaper reports, but nobody seems to be disputing the story.

I'm sure it was the first time he did anything like that, of course. :rolleyes:

Make of it what you will....

If these reports are true then it is a very sad day for speedway.

If these reports are true then it is a very sad day for speedway.

Don't really agree, it's a sad day for Andy's family (though I have little sympathy for the man himself). Speedway moved on from Andy Galvin many years ago.

FROM THE SOUTH LONDON PRESS, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2010:

A DRUG courier who collected cocaine worth £62,500 hidden in a hollowed loaf of bread has been jailed for two years.

Former speedway rider Andrew Galvin was caught as he left a property being watched by police.

The 44-year-old said he was set to be paid £250 for job to help him with “money worries”.

Jonathan McGarry, prosecuting, told Inner London Crown Court he was seen going into the address in Wordsworth Road, Walworth, on the evening of November 4, last year.

The barrister said: “He had gone to an address being kept under observation by police.

“Twenty minutes later he left with a Tesco bag which he had not been carrying when he arrived in an L-Reg Mercedes.

“Officers found £1,254 cash in his car and they were not satisfied with his explanation for it.

“They seized the Tesco bag and found the loaf of bread had been hollowed out and filled with 249g of cocaine at 67 per cent purity.”

Mark Stevens, defending, said Galvin’s greatest concern about his “terrible crime” was the “turmoil he has caused his family”.

The court heard Galvin stopped racing after an horrific accident and now has “absolutely no assets”.

Judge Duncan Matheson said he had received a series of “quite touching references” from family and friends.

Passing sentence on Friday the judge said: “It is a serious offence which carries a very long sentence at higher levels, but this is not at that level.

“I have no alternative but to impose a custodial sentence, not least as a deterrent.”

Galvin, of Deborah Close, Whitstable, Kent, admitted possessing cocaine with intent to supply.

Edited by speedyguy

A DRUG courier who collected cocaine worth £62,500 hidden in a hollowed loaf of bread has been jailed for two years.

That was a slice of misfortune...

Don't really agree, it's a sad day for Andy's family (though I have little sympathy for the man himself). Speedway moved on from Andy Galvin many years ago.

Well I don't agree with the "moved on " comment.

Andy was one of the most popular riders ever in the part of the world I'm from...: back from his early days at Crayford in the very early '80s through to his swan-song at Arena Essex in 2001...

One of a rare breed of riders IMHO who it was worth the admission money alone to go and see... :approve:

Sadly though, at the end of the day that admission money didn't find its way sufficiently to Andy (or didn't stay there) and the awful accident he suffered which halted his top class career is clearly a major factor in that...

I'm glad at least that Andy got a relatively light custodial sentence as clearly he wasn't a major player in a cruel trade which exploits many not least vulnerable and desperate people like him, prepared to risk much as a 'mule'..

It's not the Daily Mail approach I'm sure, but my sympathy and best wishes go out to Andy and his family. I know he knows he's done wrong but there's a whole life-time left to go Andy and I hope your friends throughout Speedway will rally around you after you've done your time...

Well I don't agree with the "moved on " comment.

Andy was one of the most popular riders ever in the part of the world I'm from...: back from his early days at Crayford in the very early '80s through to his swan-song at Arena Essex in 2001...

One of a rare breed of riders IMHO who it was worth the admission money alone to go and see... :approve:

Sadly though, at the end of the day that admission money didn't find its way sufficiently to Andy (or didn't stay there) and the awful accident he suffered which halted his top class career is clearly a major factor in that...

I'm glad at least that Andy got a relatively light custodial sentence as clearly he wasn't a major player in a cruel trade which exploits many not least vulnerable and desperate people like him, prepared to risk much as a 'mule'..

It's not the Daily Mail approach I'm sure, but my sympathy and best wishes go out to Andy and his family. I know he knows he's done wrong but there's a whole life-time left to go Andy and I hope your friends throughout Speedway will rally around you after you've done your time...

I see what you're saying and like you, I remember Andy at his best - a very very good rider in the second tier.

What I meant is that there are many fans on this forum who will not ever have seen Andy Galvin, or if they have they will remember his as a shadow of his former self. Even some of the 'older' fans who do remember him, will probably know little about him if they are top league snobs (e.g. Steve Shovlar and his ilk).

If the facts are that he was only getting £250 for this little job (and that's his side of the story), it makes it even sadder. I'm not sure the sentence is that lenient, if you put it in that light.

A really sad story.....

Andy was what I would call 'a proper speedway rider'. He always gave 100% and when he was in a meeting, you knew he was there. I enjoyed watching him race and it's such a shame how things have turned out for him.

Whilst I cannot condone what Andy has done, I must agree that it is a really sad story. It is typical of the big players in the drugs scene to use people who are down on their luck and a bit desperate to do the dirty work for them and it seems that Andy fell into that trap.

I presume he'll only do a half of the sentence if he keeps his head down and the time he spent on remand will be knocked off as well. So, hopefully, he'll be back out in society only a little bit older but a lot wiser.

No one knows the circumstances that led up to Andy taking this foolish decision so I don't think its fair to judge him ourselves, he's been punished and that should be the end of it.

I hope Andy is OK and all the best to his family in this difficult time.

Good point i had a mate who was on holiday in the Caribbean and he saw two locals shakeing there heads and looking unhappy when he asks them what the matter was they said "You know that British speedway forum it's really got downhill of late "

The skiing forum has gone down hill too! :wink:

Surprised Shazza hasnt been on yet moaning at people for talking about the court case. I knew the outcome on Friday night through my contacts at Brixton but kept quiet.

Good luck Andy keep yer head down and hope to see you at Purfleet when you come out.

I see what you're saying and like you, I remember Andy at his best - a very very good rider in the second tier.

What I meant is that there are many fans on this forum who will not ever have seen Andy Galvin, or if they have they will remember his as a shadow of his former self. Even some of the 'older' fans who do remember him, will probably know little about him if they are top league snobs (e.g. Steve Shovlar and his ilk).

If the facts are that he was only getting £250 for this little job (and that's his side of the story), it makes it even sadder. I'm not sure the sentence is that lenient, if you put it in that light.

A really sad story.....

When Andy Galvin was at his peak riding for Hackney etc in the old National League, Poole Speedway were also a National League team.

Wimbledon, Arena, Hackney, Eastbourne, Poole, all were NL, Reading also I think.

Swindon were at the time still British League but I think they succumbed and dropped to NL later.

I watched Andy at Crayford and Hackney he was a golden haired (bleached probably) :lol: boy intent on winning races and helping his team win, a bit flash maybe but he had the talent so deserved to be a bit.

Anyway sad to hear his present circumstances, but I for one will remember the Speedway Rider, not the convict.