British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oleoleole

When Is "the Time"?

So no management accountability whatsoever then? :rolleyes: I guess that the next time my office lift falls down its shaft, I should simply blame the technician then? :wink:

Lifts do not drop down the lift shaft unless its on tv. There is more chance of the lift running up out of control if its a traction lift and made before 1998. Any accident is investigated by the hse and if the engineer is at fault he will have the book thrown at him. The company will also recieve a large fine and maybe have there notified body approval removed.

So there is no hiding for us iam afaid.

Served my time in the Lift Industry (Wadswoths, Bolton). Started on the shop floor greasing chain blocks.

Served my time in the Lift Industry (Wadswoths, Bolton). Started on the shop floor greasing chain blocks.

They were a good british company. pity none really left now.

No, it's like everything else we have to keep supporting/buying british to keep it going ................

You're comparing apples and oranges again. A World Final was an annual one-off event, staged in Britain once every few years. By contrast, Olsen prepares 11 tracks (even more if you include the SWC) every season, so has far less excuse for stuffing up than Len Silver.

Nonsense, at that time Wembley was still used at least annually with World Finals, Inter Continental, European and Worl Team Cup Finals, not to mention the Daily Mirror Series Final.

Wembley was not temporary in the truest sense of the word, in the main it was just hidden beneath the turf making the job much simpler than Gelsenkirchen.

Len Silver was preparing the track for all those meetings, not to memtion preparing Hackney on a weekly basis.

Why then were there not the cries for him to resign after the Fiasco in 1975, why no witch hunt trying to discredit the whole World Final system.

Quite simply it was accepted as a mistake, albeit one of monumental proportions, and lessons learned from it, none of this current trend of a frenzy of internet fuelled hype demanding a resignation, although that seems to be the way of the world these days.

What did Len do to the track at Wembley in 75, I've never heard the story ..............

What did Len do to the track at Wembley in 75, I've never heard the story ..............

You don't remember the fan who jumped the fence grabbing the hose in an attempt to be able to see some of the racing

Ask Peter Collins, I am sure he remembers it!!!

Ironically the man to benefit from that farce was none other than Ole Olsen, although to be fair he was a more than worth winner anyway.

What has the 1975 World Final got to do with the price of eggs - it was bloody ages ago. :rolleyes:

We are talking about Gelsenkirchen this year - not some World Final in the year dot. And, in any case, I don't believe a single World Final from 1936 to 1994 was called off for ANY reason.

Someone has to be held responsible for what happened in Gelsenkirchen. And where does the buck stop? In terms of track prep, it's the GP Race Director. That is Ole Olsen. And that's who should be given the boot.

All the best

Rob

What has the 1975 World Final got to do with the price of eggs - it was bloody ages ago. :rolleyes:

We are talking about Gelsenkirchen this year - not some World Final in the year dot. And, in any case, I don't believe a single World Final from 1936 to 1994 was called off for ANY reason.

Someone has to be held responsible for what happened in Gelsenkirchen. And where does the buck stop? In terms of track prep, it's the GP Race Director. That is Ole Olsen. And that's who should be given the boot.

All the best

Rob

Someone is responsible, that someone is obviously Ole Olsen. You suggest discarding years of experience in lieu of 1 cock up! Strange man.

1939 was called off with just 1 week to go. I think the FIM instigated the war so that the didn't have to run that Final. They knew the public were against the bonus point system in operation at the time and feared no one would turn up. There were no repeats scheduled on Pathe News either, what more proof do you need

Someone is responsible, that someone is obviously Ole Olsen. You suggest discarding years of experience in lieu of 1 cock up! Strange man.

1939 was called off with just 1 week to go. I think the FIM instigated the war so that the didn't have to run that Final. They knew the public were against the bonus point system in operation at the time and feared no one would turn up. There were no repeats scheduled on Pathe News either, what more proof do you need

One cock up? ONE? How about the 2003 Scandinavian GP? How about the dangerous tracks for this year's Swedish and British GPs? How about the fact that good tracks such as Bydgoszcz and Krsko are stripped of their shale and the tracks are ruined. Olsen is a menace and he should go.

As for the 1939 World Final, well maybe Adolf Hitler should be sacked as well, I suggest you find a spirit guide and contact him to tell him. :rolleyes::P

All the best

Rob

Someone is responsible, that someone is obviously Ole Olsen. You suggest discarding years of experience in lieu of 1 cock up!

He may well have been complicit in the decision to call off the GP, but I don't for one minute think this was simply because of another Olsen track cock-up. I think that was just used as an excuse. All the more believeable is that they simply hadn't sold enough tickets for the 'show-piece' and wanted to dump the whole thing because it would have been a fiasco had they gone ahead with it!

Lifts do not drop down the lift shaft unless its on tv.

I did actually know that lifts have safety mechanisms to prevent this, but you take my point. :wink: However, the real point is how much longer do the IMG/BSI management give Olsen, given the crap tracks he continually produces, and that he's seemingly responsible for unimaginative wildcard choices? :unsure:

[i will be fair and concede that it may simply not be possible to produce decent temporary tracks in the timescales available, but for the permanent circuits there's much less excuse.]

Quite simply it was accepted as a mistake, albeit one of monumental proportions, and lessons learned from it

How many mistakes has Olsen now made then, and how many lessons has he learned from them... ? :rolleyes:

How many mistakes has Olsen now made then, and how many lessons has he learned from them... ? :rolleyes:

Surely the only lesson learnt is a simple one: Don't employ Ole Olsen :wink:

All the best

Rob

Nonsense, at that time Wembley was still used at least annually with World Finals, Inter Continental, European and Worl Team Cup Finals, not to mention the Daily Mirror Series Final.

Wembley was not temporary in the truest sense of the word, in the main it was just hidden beneath the turf making the job much simpler than Gelsenkirchen.

Len Silver was preparing the track for all those meetings, not to memtion preparing Hackney on a weekly basis.

Why then were there not the cries for him to resign after the Fiasco in 1975, why no witch hunt trying to discredit the whole World Final system.

Quite simply it was accepted as a mistake, albeit one of monumental proportions, and lessons learned from it, none of this current trend of a frenzy of internet fuelled hype demanding a resignation, although that seems to be the way of the world these days.

I think your facts are wrong on this.

To the best of my knowledge Len Silver had absolutely nothing to do with preparation of the 1975 World Final track ... nor, as far as I know did he prepare any Wembley tracks before this date either.

That was the whole point as to why the track was crap.

Up until the 75 World Final the track was the responsibility of the ACU/SCB, which in those days were very seperate indeed from the BSPA, and they employed numpties who had no idea (shades of BSI).

I think you will find that Uncle Len was actually brought in to sort out the tracks after the 1975 debacle .... I think apologies may be in order.

Edited by speedwayondisc