British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jonesy

Blrc Summaries In Issue 28.

On reading Issue 28 I was surprised to see how relatively poor Ivan Mauger's performances were in the BLRC's in the second half of the 1970's. Was this a random series of off-nights or was it a sign of gradual deterioration in his ability level? Albeit his previous standards were exceptionally high. I would be interested to know his seasonal averages for his spells at Exeter and Hull.

On reading Issue 28 I was surprised to see how relatively poor Ivan Mauger's performances were in the BLRC's in the second half of the 1970's. Was this a random series of off-nights or was it a sign of gradual deterioration in his ability level? Albeit his previous standards were exceptionally high. I would be interested to know his seasonal averages for his spells at Exeter and Hull.

since it usually rained for the BLRC, mebbe he just didnt like racin in the mud. :lol: (not sure if it was ever rained off. a fella usually has only a limited number of tear offs. I dont imagine the old Hyde Road circuit was much fun to race on when ya cant see. ) :blink:

Edited by sandman

Albeit his previous standards were exceptionally high. I would be interested to know his seasonal averages for his spells at Exeter and Hull.

Exeter wise-

1973 11.29 ,1974 10.88,In 1975, Ivan went on to finish on an 11.52 average and in 1976 it was 10.86 from 33 matches. In 1977, he went on to record 10.5 from 32 before his decision to move on and he was to switch to Hull in a reported deal worth £15,000. Considering Exeter City football club sold Tony Kellow to Blackpool for £65,000 in 1980 I reckon Hull got Ivan a tad on the cheap side-no disrespect to Tony mind you.

1984 8.08 (23 home meetings only!!)--Remember that well and what a stir it caused at the time.-Special dispensation took on a totally new meaning.

Average facts taken from Chris Byles excellent site.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speedwayyears/mauger.html

Edited by Nevs