British Speedway Forum
Trevor

The End Of Halifax

I've been looking through the new publication by Speedaway on the Dukes, and there was a comment, that the Calderdale Council evicted the Dukes, in the 80's. As I had moved away from the area by that time, I do not know the story behind them going to Bradford. Could anyone tell me more on why they left the Shay?

I've been looking through the new publication by Speedaway on the Dukes, and there was a comment, that the Calderdale Council evicted the Dukes, in the 80's. As I had moved away from the area by that time, I do not know the story behind them going to Bradford. Could anyone tell me more on why they left the Shay?

By the end of 1985 the Shay did not comply with new regulations re the 2 mtr exclusion zone around the track. The cost of the alterations (floodlights etc) was the crux of the problem and with a ready made replacement stadium ony 5 or 6 miles away the dukes left the Shay and moved lock stock and barrel into Odsal

Not only that, the wooden stadium had to be rebuilt because of fire regulations. That regulation effectively put paid to Hyde Road because Stuart Bamforth could not afford to revamp the wooden stands.

Not only that, the wooden stadium had to be rebuilt because of fire regulations. That regulation effectively put paid to Hyde Road because Stuart Bamforth could not afford to revamp the wooden stands.

The Valley Parade disaster only happened in May of that year Andy. I don't think the implications of the Popplewell Enquiry were known before the move to Odsal was announced.

The Shay continued in it's same state for a number of years as home to Halifax FC

It was the new SCB regulations that spelled the end of racing at the Shay

I think the wooden stand theory is a cop out for Belle Vue. Halifaxs old wooden stand existed for a fair few years after speedway left and Ipswichs main stand thats still used today is indeed wooden. King's Lynn only got rid of their wooden stand next to the pits 3-4 years ago!

I think if alterations were made to wooden stands with exits and ensuring that nothing could drop underneath them then they could be allowed in some circumstances!

The reason Halifax speedway left the Shay and moved to Odsal was a rental issue. - Halifax football club who owned the Shay at the time asked for a massive ridiculous increase in rent from the speedway after the 1985 season and yet Odsal was rent free so the move was made!

Shame because the Shay was a brilliant unique speedway venue and in recent times the football club has fallen upon hard times which may of been avoided if they had ensured speedway stayed at the Shay back in 1985!

Halifax apparently averaged 3000 a week at the Shay in 1985 but at Bradford the next season only averaged 1000 according to their great promotor and former rider Eric Boothroyd!

I think the wooden stand theory is a cop out for Belle Vue. Halifaxs old wooden stand existed for a fair few years after speedway left and Ipswichs main stand thats still used today is indeed wooden. King's Lynn only got rid of their wooden stand next to the pits 3-4 years ago!

I think if alterations were made to wooden stands with exits and ensuring that nothing could drop underneath them then they could be allowed in some circumstances!

The reason Halifax speedway left the Shay and moved to Odsal was a rental issue. - Halifax football club who owned the Shay at the time asked for a massive ridiculous increase in rent from the speedway after the 1985 season and yet Odsal was rent free so the move was made!

Shame because the Shay was a brilliant unique speedway venue and in recent times the football club has fallen upon hard times which may of been avoided if they had ensured speedway stayed at the Shay back in 1985!

Halifax apparently averaged 3000 a week at the Shay in 1985 but at Bradford the next season only averaged 1000 according to their great promotor and former rider Eric Boothroyd!

By 1985 Halifax's crowds had gone well under a 2000 average.

The wooden stands were not a factor in the move in any way, it was purely a cost thing

The extra costs were to pay for the necessary track alterations and as you say Odsal was a better option at the time.

Crowds at Odsal dropped alarmingly when they lost Carter which would have happened even if they had been at the Shay.

I think everyone is making a little too much of looking for any reason that caused the promotion to leave Halifax.

Reg Fearman hold sold out his share the previous year to the Ham Brothers (and Chris Dunkley) who are Bradford people through and through. The lease on The Shay was up for renewal. Odsal were offering a ridiculously good deal to have a league team using the newly refurbished stadium regularly. And every one really beleived that there could be a real upsurge in support at a new venue.

It was simply a no brainer on the part of the promotion.

To come up with any reasons beyond this is using speculative hindsight that is pretty unrewarding as it just tends to re-write history.

Being around the town at the time I don't honestly believe that there are any realistic chances of Speedway contuning at The Shay under any cicumstances come the end of 1985, whether track changes had been necessary or not, they were going to Odsal, no matter what!

This is not really a true reflection of what happened at the time, though.

Whilst it's true that Belle Vue Hyde Road would have fallen foul of Health and Safety regarding wooden stands, eventually, it hadn't at the time when Bammy sold out for BCA's millions.

I don't think it was a case of Bamforth looking into costings for a revamp, and was put off by a high quote, before taking the thirty pieces of silver, at all.

I don't believe he ever even considered for a moment any changes to the stands at all. He just got a big offer and took it!

It was only in the years afterwards that it became apparant just how difficult it would have been to keep the Stadium going without major rebuilding.

By 1985 Halifax's crowds had gone well under a 2000 average.

The wooden stands were not a factor in the move in any way, it was purely a cost thing

The extra costs were to pay for the necessary track alterations and as you say Odsal was a better option at the time.

Crowds at Odsal dropped alarmingly when they lost Carter which would have happened even if they had been at the Shay.

Perhaps. I guess the switch from the Shay to Odsal and Kenny Carter's death all came at a time when speedway throughout the UK seemed to take a really noticeable dip in popularity. But as a visiting supporter, I certainly much preferred trips to the Shay than Odsal. Odsal had its moments, when it was packed out for World Finals. But by and large, a speedway crowd for a league meeting was a little lost in that vast bowl. For me, it seriously lacked the cracking atmosphere of the Shay. I'm sure WATigerman won't mind me using his great pictures as an example from another thread, which nicely capture a Saturday night at the Shay. I only wish these pics were scratch and sniff! ;)

Edited by falcace

Perhaps. I guess the switch from the Shay to Odsal and Kenny Carter's death all came at a time when speedway throughout the UK seemed to take a really noticeable dip in popularity. But as a visiting supporter, I certainly much preferred trips to the Shay than Odsal. Odsal had its moments, when it was packed out for World Finals. But by and large, a speedway crowd for a league meeting was a little lost in that vast bowl. For me, it seriously lacked the cracking atmosphere of the Shay. I'm sure WATigerman won't mind me using his great pictures as an example from another thread, which nicely capture a Saturday night at the Shay. I only wish these pics were scratch and sniff! ;)

I don't mind at all falcace - thank you for your kind words and I echo your sentiments about the Shay. There was something unique about a Saturday night at the Shay that somehow seemed to embody all that was good about speedway. Great racing, great atmosphere, yet the irony was the facilities were.....well...let's just say capable of being improved. Yet for a night's entertainment it was brilliant and I for one used to love going there.

Edited by WATigerman

I agree entirely whilst Bradford had its moments the atmosphere at the shay was unique, along with hyde road it was my favourite place to visit. With regards to Belle Vue it was a shame that the bspa couldnt step in and purchase it and make it the home of british speedway, it was never replaced and never will be, maybe in the boom years of speedway more should have been done to secure the future of places like hyde road and the shay.

I agree also that more should of been done to ensure places like the Shay. Hyde Road and most definately the Firs wern't lost!

Although Hyde Road was a great venue, Kirkmulshulme Lane is also a good racing track even though its totally different to Hyde Road. Better than having no track!

I'm sure if Halifax ever resuface like hopefully old favourites Exeter and Leicester are trying to do eventually then the new venues will not have the same atmospheres but it'll still be great to see these names back in the sport!

I agree also that more should of been done to ensure places like the Shay. Hyde Road and most definately the Firs wern't lost!

Although Hyde Road was a great venue, Kirkmulshulme Lane is also a good racing track even though its totally different to Hyde Road. Better than having no track!

I'm sure if Halifax ever resuface like hopefully old favourites Exeter and Leicester are trying to do eventually then the new venues will not have the same atmospheres but it'll still be great to see these names back in the sport!

I am sure that the speedway fratenity did everything possible at the time to preserve the future of speedway racing at these venues. It is unfair to say more could have been done!

The cold hard facts are that the speedway promotions were often only tenants. therefore the decisions were made in the corporate boardrooms purely on a cold financial basis. the emotional input from speedway enthusiasts would have fallen on deaf ears.

Very few promtions own their own stadium with the possible exception of Rye House and Mildenhall, and are therefore in control of their own destiny.

Tony