British Speedway Forum

Or King Cinder, a children's televison serial in the 70's which was filmed at Rye House?

I remember that! Wasn't it Peter Duncan from Blue Peter fame who was the "star". :unsure:

Anyone remember John Noakes and Peter Purves being trained for a race by Len Silver at Hackney, and they did a second half race at Waterden Road?

George Barclay told me about this one...: it was his son Terry who was one of the riders filmed in the practice...

Not sure if Andrew Silver was involved...: he'd have been a bit young wouldn't he..??!! :unsure:

BTW, Rob, still tiling going on in the fabled WC..: this time it's floor tiling...!!!!!! :wink:

Anyone remember the BBC series Making out from the late 80’s early 90’s. It was about girls working in a local electronics factory with Keith Allen and Margi Clarke and a New Order soundtrack.

One episode, one of the wives thought hubby was having an affair as he was sneaking about with a change of clothes with him. Turns out he was a closet Belle Vue fan (it was shot in Manchester) and would leave the house and change into his speedway anorak.

Another one was when Dave Jessup showed David Ike what was what in speedway down at Plough Lane for Saturday Superstore. I’ve got it on video somewhere.

The strangest on was on Tales of the unexpected where Elaine Strich was the wife of an overbearing scientist husband. When he developed a way of keeping his brain alive after death in a tank with eye ball attached she purposely smoked drank and played loud music as he couldn’t stop her. She also had the t.v. on loud and it was showing a speedway meeting.

There was of course Gary Havelock in the Lucosade (is that how it's spelt?) True Grit advert which were mostly on bus stop shelters so were massive. I'm sure I read somewhere that Nevsy had one but the less said about that the better I think or I'll set him off again. :lol:

Dare I admit I've got a copy of this?

He may have had the micky taken but I remember Troy riding at Newport with the name RICKY emblazoned across his backside, maybe Kevlars part of the deal

With all due respect to Troy, all he was doing was "riding"........he most definately was not racing.

Pootling about at the back is what comes to mind which for a decent rider like Troy was an absolute disgrace!!

With all due respect to Troy, all he was doing was "riding"........he most definately was not racing.

Pootling about at the back is what comes to mind which for a decent rider like Troy was an absolute disgrace!!

thats why I said riding

Back to TV topic didn't Crossroads Motel have speedway riders staying there, I never used to watch it but my mum did and i'm sure she mentioned speedway to me ?

Robson Green in that tv show on ITV with that Geordie actor from the bank adverts. He was being kept hostage in a caravan and said "ill never get to ride a speedway bike" poor robson a poor geordie in a posh mans body.

The strangest on was on Tales of the unexpected where Elaine Strich was the wife of an overbearing scientist husband. When he developed a way of keeping his brain alive after death in a tank with eye ball attached she purposely smoked drank and played loud music as he couldn’t stop her. She also had the t.v. on loud and it was showing a speedway meeting.

Ladies and gentlemen - we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :approve:

Yes - it's official: the "silly season" is upon us..

You know, when a Stoke Speedway sticker in Corrie's Roy Cropper's Morris Minor constitutes a worthy claim for a thread.. :wink:

Well, have just been watching an episode of that '70s fav of mine, 'Man About The House' (on Paramount Comedy, 'natch..!) and there was this scene in the Ropers' rented kitchen!!

Jo (the blonde played by Railway Child sex-pot Sally Thomsett) is burning the fry-up and asks Robin and Chrissie if they want a sausage.

To which the fantastic Chrissie (Paula Wilcox...: one of my first real sex symbols..) replies,

"You could lay a Speedway track with your sausages".

To much (canned) laughter...! Which shows that in a 1974 sit-com the writer was fully confident that the audience would understand the allusion, even if it was a rather weak punch-line...

So come on, try and beat THAT for an obscure Speedway TV reference...!!?? :rolleyes:

When I first read this I'm afraid my blood ran cold because I thought how sad and nerdy I was as I actually remember that exact gag in the programmme from when it was first transmitted ... word for word!

But then I realised that I was only nine years old at the time, so I was easily impressed, and that 'Man About the House' was being watched by 12Million-plus people on one of only three channels avalable, so it was quite an 'advert' at the time.

What really makes you shivver in amazement is that so many of us, now very grown up people, seem to be getting so excited about it's rerun on a down martket satellite channel a generation later!

What is it they say about little things and little minds?

There was an episode of Byker Grove when they went down to check out the action at Brough Park.

I remember it was a guy with long hair - and they showed some good track shots

There was also a kids show that included footage from the training track at Lintlithgow - all i can remember in main was the music they used was Block Rockin Beats by the Chemical Bros, lol - but it fit perfectly to what they showed

Dare I admit I've got a copy of this?

Yes, but how big is it? :lol: Nevsy had a full size one (well that's what he said but you know how some men exaggerate the size of things.) :wink:

The one I've got, although heaven knows where it is, is just a small poster that Lucosade sent me.

Gareth in the Ricky Gervais programme The Office said that he'd had a go at speedway once when trying to get one up on on Tim.

I read somewhere that Nevsy had one but the less said about that the better I think or I'll set him off again. :lol:

Thanks for the PM Janet :P

I did indeed--very nice man at Adshel bus shelters let me have one,must be 15 or so years ago,Was at the top of the stairs for a couple of years on the wall then the wife ditched it whilst I was out one day. :angry: last time this subject was brought up I emailed Lucozade asking if they still had any in their vaults and didnt even receive a reply :cry:

Id love to get me hands on a full version again and stick it back at the top of the stairs one day when she is at work--I dont see what the problem is having a 6 foot lucozade poster at the top of the stairs featuring a speedway rider..Women......... :angry:

Edited by Nevs