British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 29

Issue 29 highlights....

MAIN MAN: BARRY BRIGGS

WHEN Barry Briggs beat big rival Ivan Mauger in his first race of the 1972 World Final, it seemed a fourth world title was within his grasp. Just minutes later, Briggo’s title dreams lie in tatters . . . a serious crash at Wembley saw him on his way to hospital requiring emergency surgery and the amputation of a finger.

For the first time since his ordeal 36 years ago, the four times World Champion talks candidly and in great depth about the incident that he believes robbed him of a fifth crown. BB has never forgiven Bernt Persson, the Swede he accuses of knocking him off on the first bend, but with the refreshing honest that runs throughout our exclusive interview, he admits: “When I look back at the TV replay of the incident, I can see that I wasn’t smart. I left Persson too much room.”

As well as taking a closer look back at that ’72 drama, Briggo explains why age didn’t deter him from making a comeback with Wimbledon in 1974, at the age of 39, and going on to enjoy a few more seasons for the Dons and, finally, Hull in 1976.

He talks about his rivalry and friendship with Ivan Mauger, on and off the track . . . how he couldn’t cope when his former idol Ronnie Moore nearly died at a World Champions Series meeting that was promoted by him and Mauger...how the Kiwis conned the Poles at Exeter...helping Swindon team,-mate Martin Ashby to second place in the BLRC and why ‘Crash’ couldn’t repeat his performance that night at Belle Vue in 1972...in his role as mentor and advisor in the 80s, Barry explains why he thinks Kelvin Tatum never fulfilled his potential...and the difficulty he had trying to help Kelly Moran win the World Final...why his Golden Greats idea led to the invention of the dirt deflector – and the frustrations that followed...he names the two things that have done British speedway most damage (and it’s not the GP!)...what Briggo is up to these days, his latest invention and why hip replacement surgery and dodgy knee can’t keep him off a bike for long!

To complement our major, eight-page interview with the biggest personality speedway has ever known, our top columnist JOHN BERRY also takes a close look at the massive impact Briggs made on the sport. JB recalls the time Briggo revealed how he had pumped oxygen pumped into his blood to help keep him fit and feeling younger than ever.

JOHN TITMAN

We catch up with the former Australian star at home in Brisbane, where he recently made a one-off comeback at the Ekka track where it all began for him back in 1968. John looks back on his BL career with Halifax, Exeter, Leicester, Hackney and Wimbledon, plus his two World Final appearances and what riding for Australia meant to him.

He pays tribute to a few of the promoters he rode for and explains why leaving Leicester in 1983 proved a good move for all concerned.

A reputable engine tuner, John admits that perhaps doing all the work on his bikes backfired on him and stopped him achieving greater success.

IAN TURNER

One of the smallest and most spectacular riders throughout the 70s, ‘Tiddler’ explains why just riding for his beloved King’s Lynn was a dream come true and that he never had any aspirations to become World Champion. The little man with the big heart recalls team-mates such as Terry Betts, Michael Lee and the people who helped him to become an unsung hero at Saddlebow Road.

RICK FRANCE

After 12 years with Coventry, the early 70s heralded a fresh start for Rick, who enjoyed his later years in Yorkshire with firstly Sheffield and then Halifax. The 1967 World Finalist and former England international quit at the end of 1975 and he explains why – plagued by persistent problems with his shoulder - he had no thoughts of dropping into Division Two.

READING HEROES

So just who did Bob Radford include in his Top 20 of people who made the most significant contribution to Reading Racers from 1970 to 1990 inclusive? Anders Michanek and Jan Andersson are certainly in there, of course, but who else joins them in our colourful four-page tribute . . . and who didn’t make it? Definitely cause for debate among former Tilehurst and Smallmead devotees...

BLRCs of the 80s

Following on from our look at British League Riders’ Championships of the 70s in our last issue, we fast-forward to the 80s decade and review the Belle Vue biggie that saw Englishmen and Danes dominate this annual classic before it passed into American hands. Read how Collins, Carter, Gundersen, Nielsen, Pedersen and Moran took the main honours.

Plus Q&A's with Stuart Cope & announcer Peter Morrish, your letters and more..

http://www.retro-speedway.com

Excellent piece on Reading and the End-of-an-Era stuff.

I enjoyed reading that article, but was surprised that Dag Lovaas didn't get a mention as a Reading Great. I know he was only there a relatively short time (3 seasons?), but I thought he would have warranted a mention at the very least. Amongst those "also considered" were Pierre Brannefors and Peter Glanz and without wishing to belittle their achievements in the winged wheel I reckon Dag's contribution to the 1973 Championship was worthy of some mention.