British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wild Man Vic

New Years Honours

Freddie Williams. Every National World Champion should be recognised, and he was twice World Individual Speedway Champion. He was also President of the Veteran Speedway Riders Association, and still to this day, well into his eighties, supports just about everything asked of him speedway related. If ever there was a more deserving candidate...............

Absolutely 100% agree with that. :approve:

I would go with several already mentioned on here, Colin Pratt, Nigel Boocock, Freddie Williams and how about Graham Snooks, currently clerk of the course at Brandon, he has been there in some capacity for about two hundred years I reckon! ;)

Im going to go with Mike Patrick for all his great photography spanning many years.

Im going to go with Mike Patrick for all his great photography spanning many years.

Speaking of photographers, what about Alf Weedon?

I would also say

Gary Havelock & Mark Loram they have won just about everything in the sport

BUT every world champion should be honoured. Especially our own

I would also say

Gary Havelock & Mark Loram they have won just about everything in the sport

They won one World Title each, which was a great achievement, but when you look at someone like Ivan Mauger or Hans Nielsen, they're the guys who won just about everything going.

Ivan Mauger 6 Speedway, 3 Longtrack, 2 World Pairs, 4 World (Team) Cup = 15 World Titles

Hans Nielsen 4 Speedway, 7 World Pairs, 11 World (Team) Cup = 22 World Titles

They won one World Title each, which was a great achievement, but when you look at someone like Ivan Mauger or Hans Nielsen, they're the guys who won just about everything going.

Ivan Mauger 6 Speedway, 3 Longtrack, 2 World Pairs, 4 World (Team) Cup = 15 World Titles

Hans Nielsen 4 Speedway, 7 World Pairs, 11 World (Team) Cup = 22 World Titles

IF you read my post properly it stated "especially our own"

Havvy & Wham Bam won everything that could have been won in Briitish Speedway and therefore deserve an OBE

Mauger & Nielsen deserve knighthoods

John Louis

Neil Street

Hi Jeff,

Without doubt I agree, Neil Street was the first person I thought of when I saw the title of this thread. For me, these awards should primarily be for exceptional contributions to society not just for achieving something. The contribution Neil has, and hopefully continues to give our sport, especially the time he is prepared to offer young riders, is incalculable. Everyone at Newport feels like they are the cat that got the cream at the moment, but the news that Neil will hopefully be involved next year is the icing on the cake for me. Aside from the fact that he has forgotten more than most of us will ever know about Speedway, he is an absolute gentleman and ambassador for the sport.

There would be a nice way to honour Neil though, and I guess you know where I am going with this, as we have discussed it before…It would be fantastic to get his life story down in print so that we can all share some of the wisdom.

…and what better wordsmith to put it together than yourself!!

It would need to be a hefty volume to do him justice, and you would have to write fast once he starts talking!! From the quality and eloquence of your writing to date though, I have no doubt you are the best man for the job.

Looking forward to your next volume…”Neil Street…Speedway Sage” ??????

I can dream.

Take care

Mark

There would be a nice way to honour Neil though, and I guess you know where I am going with this, as we have discussed it before…It would be fantastic to get his life story down in print so that we can all share some of the wisdom.

…and what better wordsmith to put it together than yourself!!

Agreed. Someone has to do it. I'd be so easy too, Neil will willingly tell a story to anyone who chats to him. Someone has to write the book. I'm sure you could get no end of people to tell stories about his life too

Also agree about a honour for the man.

A nicer, more friendly, down to earth man you could not meet. I asked him for a photo this year at Cardiff and he could not believe that someone would want their photo taken with him.

Agreed. Someone has to do it. I'd be so easy too, Neil will willingly tell a story to anyone who chats to him. Someone has to write the book. I'm sure you could get no end of people to tell stories about his life too

Also agree about a honour for the man.

A nicer, more friendly, down to earth man you could not meet. I asked him for a photo this year at Cardiff and he could not believe that someone would want their photo taken with him.

Have you ever been in the Paddock Bar at Swindon Shawn?

When Neil and his old mechanic Fred get together,it`s quite amusing listening to them talking,they are both deaf as a post :lol:

But they are very good company :approve: