British Speedway Forum
chunky

Poles And British Speedway

Having witnessed how our "World Finals" thread developed into a discussion about Jerzy Szczakiel (notice the spelling, Derek... :wink: ), plus a few Poles who rode in the UK, I thought it would be fun to start something more specific.

There were some interesting points made and questions asked, but I often wonder what would have happened to Polish speedway if more Poles had ridden in the UK in the '50's and '60's, and more importantly, they had stayed for longer. Of course, I suspect that the Polish authorities may have been responsible for the latter, but that's just me being cynical.

The first of the top Poles to ride in the UK was Marian Kaiser, who replaced the late Gerry Hussey in the 1959 Leicester team. Tadeusz Teodorowicz first appeared for Swindon in the same year, but as he had already "defected", and went on to become a naturalised Briton before his tragic death, I don't think that his case can be discussed in the same manner. Obviously, had he lived, things may have been very different...

Kaiser was an immediate success, but was in turn replaced by Stefan Kwoczala for the 1960 season. Also in 1960, Coventry signed Henryk Zyto, who had a seemingly satisfactory season. However, both only lasted for a year before being replaced by Pawel Waloszek and Kazimierz Bentke for 1961. Waloszek ended the year as Leicester's top scorer, but his fellow countryman never quite got the hang of British speedway. By 1962, they had both gone too, leaving just "Teo", and if I am remembering correctly, we had to wait over 10 years for Antoni Woryna (1973) to appear.

What if Kaiser, Kwoczala, Waloszek, and Zyto, had been able to enjoy and extended spell in British racing? Would they have really emerged as true World-class riders? Sure, they were always very capable, but were never able to master the western European tracks like they did those in the Eastern bloc. Like Zenon Plech, they were young enough, certainly, unlike Woryna and Edward Jancarz, who were both very much the elder statesmen when they received their opportunities. The same applies to Henryk Glucklich. What impact though, would their success have had on Polish speedway as a whole?

Had Szczakiel been able to ride in the BL, we don't know how that would have affected his career, but I do feel that he was a much better rider than most westerners would have you believe. Of the Poles to start filtering through in the late '60's, I am certain that Andrzej Wyglenda could have been a great asset to British speedway. Very highly-rated on the continent, Wyglenda was never able to reproduce his known form on the international stage, yet few would disagree that overall, he was a far better rider - for a far longer period of time - than the much-maligned Szczakiel!

I look forward to reading some of your posts...

Steve

Edited by chunky

Hi Steve-good stuff on other thread on this topic-I agree re Wyglenda and should have added him-but don't forget Woryna's acvievement in 1966-BTW hope you are surviving this horrendous winter down there in St. Louis-we should have emigrated to Queensland-I'm freezing my ass off up here!!

Hi Steve-good stuff on other thread on this topic-I agree re Wyglenda and should have added him-but don't forget Woryna's acvievement in 1966-BTW hope you are surviving this horrendous winter down there in St. Louis-we should have emigrated to Queensland-I'm freezing my ass off up here!!

Bob, at the moment in Queensland we could do with some cool relief 32 and hot and sticky!

But to the Poles, I got to know Zenon, Roman Jankowski, Fast Eddie and Andy Huszcza very well as they visited my workshop for spares regulary when they were at hackney.

I think that if Zenon had had a consistent run in the British league he would have made World champion. He also had the charisma and was looked up to by the other Poles as a leader for advice.

Kind regards Tony

Bob, at the moment in Queensland we could do with some cool relief 32 and hot and sticky!

But to the Poles, I got to know Zenon, Roman Jankowski, Fast Eddie and Andy Huszcza very well as they visited my workshop for spares regulary when they were at hackney.

I think that if Zenon had had a consistent run in the British league he would have made World champion. He also had the charisma and was looked up to by the other Poles as a leader for advice.

Kind regards Tony

Hi Tony,

I unfortunately missed out on the Zenon Plech, Roman Jankowski days at Hackney! I once heard that when Zenon broke an ankle at Hackney, he refused medical attention on the friday night, chosing instead to return to Poland for treatment, by car!! On tv he was always spectacular!

Its the hottest start to the year for many years here in Perth with daytime temperatures never below 35degrees for the past 2 weeks,normally February weather in these parts!!

I saw most of the Poles ride back then and remember them well. the problem they faced if they had longer UK careers would have been trying to win the World Championship against the likes of Fundin, Moore, Craven, Briggs etc who were so very dominant.

Well it certainly is hotter in Australia the past week or so than it was 10 years ago. Who say’s global warming is not happening ?

People who live on the Canadian Prairies!!

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 10:16 AM, iris123 said:

Well it certainly is hotter in Australia the past week or so than it was 10 years ago. Who say’s global warming is not happening ?

On 12/26/2019 at 3:17 PM, BOBBATH said:

People who live on the Canadian Prairies!!

Did these postings fall out of the Twilight Zone? :blink:

On 12/26/2019 at 3:08 AM, Celticman said:

I saw most of the Poles ride back then and remember them well. the problem they faced if they had longer UK careers would have been trying to win the World Championship against the likes of Fundin, Moore, Craven, Briggs etc who were so very dominant.

I remember Zenon Plech in 1973. He was young and talented; a dangerous combination. In fact he was supposed to be the next great Pole, even tipped to be the WC that year, the final being at Katowice  (or Chorzów if you wish). Being a relatively new fan and having seen only one final (Wembley 1972) I and a friend decided to go to that final by Interail. A pole did win that year as we all know, just the wrong one. And I was an Ivan Mauger fan :(

• Thanks 1

Just thought it interesting that 10 years ago 35 degrees was hot, but they are having temps of 40 degrees and massive bush fires at roughly the same time of the year !!!

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2009 at 2:53 AM, chunky said:

What if Kaiser, Kwoczala, Waloszek, and Zyto, had been able to enjoy and extended spell in British racing? Would they have really emerged as true World-class riders? Sure, they were always very capable, but were never able to master the western European tracks like they did those in the Eastern bloc. Like Zenon Plech, they were young enough, certainly, unlike Woryna and Edward Jancarz, who were both very much the elder statesmen when they received their opportunities. The same applies to Henryk Glucklich. What impact though, would their success have had on Polish speedway as a whole?

Kwoczala's seventh place in the 1960 world final at Wembley would suggest that he had no problem mastering the western European tracks. I had the pleasure of seeing him ride in Britain and he certainly looked like a world class rider to me. Sadly his promising career was cut short after suffering a fractured skull in a crash at Kraków in 1961.

2 hours ago, False dawn said:

Did these postings fall out of the Twilight Zone? :blink:

I remember Zenon Plech in 1973. He was young and talented; a dangerous combination. In fact he was supposed to be the next great Pole, even tipped to be the WC that year, the final being at Katowice  (or Chorzów if you wish). Being a relatively new fan and having seen only one final (Wembley 1972) I and a friend decided to go to that final by Interail. A pole did win that year as we all know, just the wrong one. And I was an Ivan Mauger fan :(

Yup, my whole friggin' life has been spent in the Twilight Zone (I like it better there!!)

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, iris123 said:

Just thought it interesting that 10 years ago 35 degrees was hot, but they are having temps of 40 degrees and massive bush fires at roughly the same time of the year !!!

Would that be too hot or too dangerous for Polish Speedway riders?