British Speedway Forum
barneys barnstormers

Closed Tracks (where)

Reading's Tilehurst site is now Stadium Way Industrial Estate. Click

Swindon's first track - from 1928 to 1930 - was at The Autodrome, behind the Duke of Edingburgh pub in Gorse Hill. I assume that would be the piece of grassland in this picture. Click

Bristol Knowle Stadium is now houses, as in this picture. Not the defunct track shape a bit lower down but the actual site of the houses. Petherton Road and Ravenhead Drive are built on the former site. Click

Edited by Grachan

Not really flats...: mainly houses...

Yes, but at least the roads are named after former West Ham riders plus Johnnie Hoskins. Has this happened anywhere else?

Harringay is now a Sainsbury's as indeed is Crayford...

As is Rayleigh.

High Beach.

Although on Multimap they spell it High Beech! The outline of the arena is very visible,just look for the horseshoe shaped trees.

They spell it High Beach! The spelling has long been a bone of contention in the area. The word beech could refer to the beech trees in the area which would make more sense as High Bee(a)ch is nowhere near the sea, but there is also an archaic meaning of the word beach which means an escarpment and it could refer to this. When I lived in the area in the 60s and 70s both spellings were used but recently it has become normal to refer to it as High Beach.You hardly ever see High Beech except in speedway circles!

There are some photographs of how the area looks now on John Skinner's Defunct Tracks website (I should know, I took them!): http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/High%20Beech.htm

Yes, but at least the roads are named after former West Ham riders plus Johnnie Hoskins. Has this happened anywhere else?

I think some of the roads on the Stadium site at Blackbird Rd. in Leicester are named after former Lions' riders are they not.... :unsure:

I struggle to like this idea... Half of me thinks, what a good way of remembering what was there formally. The other half of me thinks, the council has the gall to accept the planning application and in some cases possibly reject the speedway going anywhere else in the borough then call roads after the speedway. For example one of the roads on the Cradley site is called stadium drive. It almost feels like they are laughing at us. Just my opinion of course.

I struggle to like this idea... Half of me thinks, what a good way of remembering what was there formally. The other half of me thinks, the council has the gall to accept the planning application and in some cases possibly reject the speedway going anywhere else in the borough then call roads after the speedway. For example one of the roads on the Cradley site is called stadium drive. It almost feels like they are laughing at us. Just my opinion of course.

Yes, I know what you mean, Deano. But I suppose it's better to have some reminder than none at all.

Talking of housing estates, of course, the Firs at Norwich is now a housing estate as well.

I agree with you.

It makes my blood boil when I see 'Stadium Drives' and 'Stadium Roads' all over the country where there's now some poxy industrial estate or housing and no stadium.. :mad:

Places I've seen this include St. Austell (I saw a Stadium Rd. near to the holiday camp I stayed a few years back...: was this the original home of the Gulls..?? :unsure: ) and local to me in Ilford where a once-proud non-league football club had its impressive home...

A similar thing happened in Barking, where the lovely '30s built cinema was bulldozed and replaced by a rubbish looking block of flats that they had to cheek to call, The Odeon...!! :angry:

Very much so, my feeling is the councils look at us and say.. "OK guys, look to be honest with you we hate your sport. We've waited so long to see the back of it and now we've got our chance so, sorry your stadium is going to be bull dozed, flatened, blown up. As a good will gesture though, in light of the many years and money you've spent at this venue we'll call the main road after your favourite rider. Hopefully you'll prefer this to actually going to watch speedway here."

Substitute the words speedway, sport and rider to :

Cinema

Sports field

School

Large company factory

Copice of trees

Green belt field

Railway station

etc etc etc

I think some of the roads on the Stadium site at Blackbird Rd. in Leicester are named after former Lions' riders are they not.... :unsure:

Not sure about that but I think there is a Hunters Walk or Hunters Rise named after the speedway team. I can't check because I've unfortunately just found out that my Leicester street guide must be over 25 years old. I really must get a new one. :lol:

Not sure about that but I think there is a Hunters Walk or Hunters Rise named after the speedway team. I can't check because I've unfortunately just found out that my Leicester street guide must be over 25 years old. I really must get a new one. :lol:

Sadly, I don't believe that Tiptree Close, Peldon Close, Galleywood Drive and Danbury Drive reflect any of the history of Leicester Speedway

Not aware of any "Hunters" streetnames

:unsure::unsure: As you are all aware over the past decades several of our tracks have closed for various reasons . canterbury, crayford all london clubs to name just a few. I would be very much interested to know all the names of the clubs that have shut and what is standing in the stadiums place now.

i will start with: BOSTON (new hammond beck rd) tesco in its place now.

Not quite right. Tesco's was built before the Stadium was demolished.

The Stadium was on the land now occupied by B and Q. If you go on the grass next to the store and look carefully you may see some remains of the old track.

Very much so, my feeling is the councils look at us and say.. "OK guys, look to be honest with you we hate your sport. We've waited so long to see the back of it and now we've got our chance so, sorry your stadium is going to be bull dozed, flatened, blown up. As a good will gesture though, in light of the many years and money you've spent at this venue we'll call the main road after your favourite rider. Hopefully you'll prefer this to actually going to watch speedway here."

Substitute the words speedway, sport and rider to :

Cinema

Sports field

School

Large company factory

Copice of trees

Green belt field

Railway station

etc etc etc

Actually that reminds me. Lea Bridge stadium became the Speedway Industrial Estate, though I don't think it is still called that.

Edited by norbold

Aren't one or two of the roads where Southampton's Bannister Court was named after former riders?

The Coventry track at Lythall's Lane where The Bees we're originally is also now housing, known as Stadium Estate.