British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bazaar3

Famous Last Bend Victories

Famous last gasp victories - basically meaning a rider winning on the last bend on the last lap.

Only a few spring to mind although I am sure there are many others and the Poole testimonial victory by Ben Barker gave me the idea for the topic.

Chris Morton and Jem Doncaster on a 4-2 blow up when both on the last bend at Cradley in 86/7?? gifting a 5-1 to Gundersen and Jan O to Denmark vs England and I believe Chris Louis did the same in an ELRC leading to Sudden Sam gaining a victory.

Best one for me was probably that famous ride at Poole where an incredible young Pole shocked the crowd by diving between Hamill, Tacey and the fence to somehow pip them to the finish line.

best i have seen was bomber at cardiff. won me loads of money but then again i had greg hancock as well on a bet so cardiff was paid for

Famous last gasp victories - basically meaning a rider winning on the last bend on the last lap.

Best one for me was probably that famous ride at Poole where an incredible young Pole shocked the crowd by diving between Hamill, Tacey and the fence to somehow pip them to the finish line.

The one and only Krzyzstof Cegielski. Watch it here courtesy of SS.

Edited by pugwash

Harris @ Cardiff.

It has to be Harris at Cardiff. Otherwise its Ben Barkers triumphant win in the Prestigious New Year Classic.

Lynn V Coventry 1993....Simon Wigg and Hans Nielsen were on a 5-1 for three and three quarter laps, which would have secured a 54-54 draw. Up steps that man Henka, who had been nowhere for two laps, but then swarmed all over the two Bees (no pun intended!) before barging up the inside of Hans on the last bend to secure the match winning second place. Saddlebow Road goes mental!

Great memories :approve:

Edited by Bagpuss

Lynn V Coventry 1993....Simon Wigg and Hans Nielsen were on a 5-1 for three and three quarter laps, which would have secured a 54-54 draw. Up steps that man Henka, who had been nowhere for two laps, but then swarmed all over the two Bees (no pun intended!) before barging up the inside of Hans on the last bend to secure the match winning second place. Saddlebow Road goes mental!

Great memories :approve:

One of the best overtakes I have ever seen, just for the drama alone. How I miss Henka.

something happened in the 1985 best pairs final at hackney but i cant remember what!!anyone?The only thing i can remember is tht samantha fox was there!!!!

Only a few spring to mind although I am sure there are many others and the Poole testimonial victory by Ben Barker gave me the idea for the topic.

Chris Morton and Jem Doncaster on a 4-2 blow up when both on the last bend at Cradley in 86/7?? gifting a 5-1 to Gundersen and Jan O to Denmark vs England and I believe Chris Louis did the same in an ELRC leading to Sudden Sam gaining a victory.

Not so sure you can class the Sam Ermolenko victory over Chris Louis as a "Famous Last Bend Victory". Louis actually had engine failure on the back straight of the final lap, which gifted the Championship (PLRC as it was that year with it being one combined year) to Ermolenko

Have to agree that the Gollob manoevure (sp) over Jimmy Nilsen in that Grand Prix still makes me smile ever time I watch it. I remember watching it live on Sky and could not believe that he had pulled it off - a master of his sport, showing that he has more skill than many of his counterparts.

not so much a last bend but last lap stuff from Chris Morton for the Lions in the 1981 world team cup :approve:

Edited by M.D

Ben Howe chasing down Mike Faria at Ipswich some years back now. Ben was nowhere

for 3 and 3 1/4 laps, but had been working the ouside line all that time, Faria was

obviously expecting the swoop, but around the outside, Ben did the classic switch

back up the inside and won on the line. The whole place was on it feet applauding

that move. a throwback to when it was a regular racing feature for a lot of past

riders.

I just remembered, it was when the leagues were amalgamated in one big

League.... variety of teams and some cracking racing too.

Probably witnessed one of the greatest last bend victories in all the meetings I have seen at monmore last season with two heat 15s, the first running almost as god as the rerun.

Sensational stuff from Pedersen and Holder over Howe and Iversen, then Howe on his own.

Also when Nicholls rode for Poole and we went to Ipswich at the end of the season and he beat Gollob from the back in a 6 lap final heat ( can't remember the year) Great stuff.