British Speedway Forum
lazylover

Eastbourn Eagles - Looking For More Info

Hiya

I'm new to the board and to the whole topic of speedway.

I'm doing some family research for my boyfriend and his great uncle was a speedway rider. We've only got one picture of him on his bike. The postcard is from Liverpool but the vest / badge is (we think) for the Eastbourne Eagles so we think he was up there for a race.

I'd like to put some meat on the bones of this one and find out about his career (we believe that he was only "part time" speedway racer as he wasn't a good enough rider to go "pro". I just don't know where to start so any thoughts / suggestions / pushes in the right direction are very much needed and would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

LazyLover

Hiya

I'm doing some family research for my boyfriend and his great uncle was a speedway rider. We've only got one picture of him on his bike. The postcard is from Liverpool but the vest / badge is (we think) for the Eastbourne Eagles so we think he was up there for a race.

I'd like to put some meat on the bones of this one and find out about his career (we believe that he was only "part time" speedway racer as he wasn't a good enough rider to go "pro". I just don't know where to start so any thoughts / suggestions / pushes in the right direction are very much needed and would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

LazyLover

Whats his name or surname and can you email me and any others who request it, the photo?

Whats his name or surname and can you email me and any others who request it, the photo?

Hiya,

Sorry I'll have to scan the photo in so will get it to you as soon as I can (hopefully tomorrow)

His name was known as Erne Steers and he was born in 1920 in Croydon. His full name was Ernest William Steers.

Hiya, welcome to the board.

According to my records, Ernie Steers rode for Liverpool and Oxford in 1949, Long Eaton in 1950 and Wolverhampton in 1951.

This is only according to information I have found and I stand to be corrected.

Hope it is of some use.

Hiya, welcome to the board.

According to my records, Ernie Steers rode for Liverpool and Oxford in 1949, Long Eaton in 1950 and Wolverhampton in 1951.

This is only according to information I have found and I stand to be corrected.

Hope it is of some use.

Thank you, yes any information on him is useful :D. Next (possibly stupid) question - where can I find out if there are any pictures / reports etc.

Thank you, yes any information on him is useful :D. Next (possibly stupid) question - where can I find out if there are any pictures / reports etc.

Try speedwayresearcher.org.uk.

Good luck.

Hiya

Thanks in advance

LazyLover

Not a name that springs to mind regarding Eastbourne (who didnt race from 1949-53) and only had a couple of meets in 1948 and one in 53? hoever it was a training track.

Not a name that springs to mind regarding Eastbourne (who didnt race from 1949-53) and only had a couple of meets in 1948 and one in 53? hoever it was a training track.

Hi Ken

The Eastbourne link was from family hearsay and from the replies above it looks like it was wrong - Liverpool, Oxford, Long Eaton and Wolverhampton appear to have been some that he rode with.

Ernie Steers rode, in the main, for Liverpool. I think his photo appeared in a Stenners Annual at one time and on a team photo of Liverpool in a book.

Edited by star ghost

According to the superb Complete A-Z of Post-War British League Riders CD-R, Ern's greatest moment came in 1950 when he had an emergency call-up by New Cross for the Spring Cup Final against West Ham - and ended up on the winning side.