British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

London History Site

I think you'll find there's plenty of area names still in use in East London (and every other part of London) but the main thing that effected my area was the arrival of the railway first, and then the Palace.

DKRA - I know East London VERY well and South London too, and I can assure you that I'd estimate there are four times (perhaps more..) as many place names in a 15 mile radius south of the river as there are east of the City!!! :shock:

But, despite your extensive knowledge, you don't know where Southend is............

Ah, I was saying my extensive knowledge is of EAST London!!! :wink: My Dad was the Sarff London expert...!!

'Southend' I'd say must've been in the Lewisham/New Cross vicinity...??!! :unsure:

Ten points, a gold star and a 'tick VG' to anyone that can name what Southend is called now

The one in London? Do you mean that little area just opposite the little boating lake at Southend Lane, and in between Bellingham & Downham in SE6, including Whitefoot Lane, just off the Bromley Road? Not sure what its called now though - it comes under Bromley, (Greater London) I think but everywhere around it seems to come under Lewisham or Beckenham. :unsure:

My wife lived all her single life just off Anerley Park close to the back entrance to the park. Her dad use to go up the 'Palace' for what he referred to as 'Cinder' racing. Any chance DKRA that you get get some scans off those old aerial pictures you mention and post them? They would be very interesting.

The one in London? Do you mean that little area just opposite the little boating lake at Southend Lane, and in between Bellingham & Downham in SE6, including Whitefoot Lane, just off the Bromley Road? Not sure what its called now though - it comes under Bromley, (Greater London) I think but everywhere around it seems to come under Lewisham or Beckenham. :unsure:

My wife lived all her single life just off Anerley Park close to the back entrance to the park. Her dad use to go up the 'Palace' for what he referred to as 'Cinder' racing. Any chance DKRA that you get get some scans off those old aerial pictures you mention and post them? They would be very interesting.

That's near enough Jim, it's actually been 'absorbed' into Downham now, but you still occasionally hear people refering to Southend village.

I'm not sure what the form is with the pictures; I haven't asked permission, but they are watermarked with copyright details, if it's a problem with the mods, I'll disable the link.

You can see them here

They aren't specifically of the speedway track, more an overview of the site, but the track is pretty clear. Also, the date's a bit vague, definitely post war and 1950 is a 'best guess'.

That's near enough Jim, it's actually been 'absorbed' into Downham now, but you still occasionally hear people refering to Southend village.

I'm not sure what the form is with the pictures; I haven't asked permission, but they are watermarked with copyright details, if it's a problem with the mods, I'll disable the link.

You can see them here

They aren't specifically of the speedway track, more an overview of the site, but the track is pretty clear. Also, the date's a bit vague, definitely post war and 1950 is a 'best guess'.

Well its too late now DKRA as I have down loaded them. :wink: I owe you an apology as in the past when this subject was raised, I was given family advice that the speedway track was actually further north of the park but its almost on the site of the new athletics track and very close to what was known as the Anerley ramp, on the road race track where the sleepers on the outside were a familiar place for my brother to end the day in. :rolleyes:

So apologises again to you - and thanks for letting us see them, fascinating stuff. :approve:

Well its too late now DKRA as I have down loaded them. :wink: I owe you an apology as in the past when this subject was raised, I was given family advice that the speedway track was actually further north of the park but its almost on the site of the new athletics track and very close to what was known as the Anerley ramp, on the road race track where the sleepers on the outside were a familiar place for my brother to end the day in. :rolleyes:

So apologises again to you - and thanks for letting us see them, fascinating stuff. :approve:

No apologies needed Jim, before I ever saw any pictures I found it difficult to work out where it was, there's so much conflicting information around, mostly from misplaced memories; I've had someone tell me recently, (from his personal recall) that the road race circuit was the home of the British GP for many years, both pre and post war, despite the fact it's a matter of recorded fact that Crystal Palace never held the British GP in it's history!

Still, I suppose it was a long time ago now, I guess if you're old enough to have seen the CP speedway team in action, just waking up everyday is a bonus, nevermind being able to remember it in detail!!!

If my memory is right Jim....it was me that you disagreed with on the spot the track was in.....but no need to apologise..it is one of those things....you always disagree with me :lol:

I still have my 25,000 word history of Crystal Palace Speedway waiting to find a home....

If my memory is right Jim....it was me that you disagreed with on the spot the track was in.....but no need to apologise..it is one of those things....you always disagree with me :lol:

I still have my 25,000 word history of Crystal Palace Speedway waiting to find a home....

:rolleyes: Well, Doug I am sure your memory will be better than mine - so if that is the case; I apologise :P:D

Is there no possibility Norman that you cannot do a sort of self publication with all that material on Crystal Palace Speedway as did Grachan and also Arnieg I believe. Whom both I am sure would be able to advise you how to go about it…

Seems such a waste if it does not see the light of day. It could be marketed on all the forums, based on mail order sales and also sold via the museum. I could help with a web site (for a free copy -signed of course) for it etc. What do you think?

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Years ago - at least 20 - I met Nat Gould at the Crystal Palace. He rode speedway there in the 1930s - the open meetings. He said that the layout of the athletics track was virtually the same as the old speedway. He based his comments on the landscape of the area, especially what outside properties could be seen, and also in regard to where trees were positioned in the park.

There's also some comments on the Crystal Palace speedway history to be found on

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi

Is there no possibility Norman that you cannot do a sort of self publication with all that material on Crystal Palace Speedway as did Grachan and also Arnieg I believe. Whom both I am sure would be able to advise you how to go about it…

Seems such a waste if it does not see the light of day. It could be marketed on all the forums, based on mail order sales and also sold via the museum. I could help with a web site (for a free copy -signed of course) for it etc. What do you think?

Self publish!? After 21 books being published by bona fide publishers and another two currently under contract. It goes against the grain a bit, Jim! :P

Also, I'm really not sure it would sell that well to cover costs. I'm thinking up other avenues at the moment.

When debate takes place in regard to speedway films, it usually involves 'Once A Jolly Swagman.' In 1951, there was another speedway film 'There Is Another Sun' featuring Maxwell Reed and Laurence Harvey. The topic is currently underway on

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi

The main thrust of the debate is 'were the action shots taken at Walthamstow'?