British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

London History Site

On a slight diversion away from the demise of speedway in London. In the years following the end of WW2 in 1945 cycle speedway became extremely popular. I read on a skid-kid forum that there had probably been in excess of 230 tracks/teams at one time. Now there is just one track which is situated near the old West Ham speedway. 

"The other" track/stadium sport stock car racing has also lost the five various tracks where it staged meetings since its UK start in 1954. The five all had speedway connections - Walthamstow, Harringay, West Ham, Wimbledon and New Cross.

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, HertsRacer said:

Being a Charlton Athletic supporter, I remember the greyhound stadium very well. Was on the corner of Woolwich Road and Anchor and Hope Lane which is now a Makro's store. Never went inside, but from the outside it appeared a pretty large stadium. I do have a photo of it somewhere, will try and find it. I also remember getting excited that as well as a football team, I was going to have a speedway team to support as well. Sadly the owners changed their mind at the last minute, ans sold the stadium for redevelopment.

Charlton used to be owned by London Stadiums Ltd, who also owned Park Royal and Wandsworth dog tracks. My mum worked in the racing office at Wandsworth. I think Charlton eventually ended up in the hands of the dreaded GRA, and like West Ham the writing was on the wall.

Also add Brixton Stadium among others and it is hard to think of another city in the world that had so many sports stadiums with all the many proper football,rugby and cricket stadiums

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brixton_Greyhound_Stadium

Edited by iris123

21 hours ago, iris123 said:

Also add Brixton Stadium among others and it is hard to think of another city in the world that had so many sports stadiums with all the many proper football,rugby and cricket stadiums

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brixton_Greyhound_Stadium

In South London besides the professional football club grounds Crystal Palace, Charlton, Millwall, Wimbledon, and lesser clubs Tooting & Mitcham and Dulwich Hamlet, add New Cross Stadium, Wimbledon Stadium and Herne Hill Velodrome plus the ice rinks at Streatham and Brixton. And for cricket there is The Oval. How many sports venues have there been/are there London-wide over the years?

And speedways that I can recall are West Ham, Crystal Palace, Stamford Bridge, Lea Bridge, Harringay, High Beech, Hackney, Wembley, Wimbledon, New Cross, Walthamstow, White City, Crayford, Romford.

Edited by Guest
spelling error.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:08 PM, gustix said:

On a slight diversion away from the demise of speedway in London. In the years following the end of WW2 in 1945 cycle speedway became extremely popular. I read on a skid-kid forum that there had probably been in excess of 230 tracks/teams at one time. Now there is just one track which is situated near the old West Ham speedway. 

"The other" track/stadium sport stock car racing has also lost the five various tracks where it staged meetings since its UK start in 1954. The five all had speedway connections - Walthamstow, Harringay, West Ham, Wimbledon and New Cross.

Just for London cycle speedway followers, here's a basic list of teams in the capital since the early Post WW2 years:

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/thread/824/london-teams-1946-present

On 3/9/2009 at 10:02 AM, norbold said:

I don't suppose they had any hard and fast rules. Clapton, West Ham and Wembley were all near enough I suppose.Incidentally, West Ham, Clapton and High Beech used to take part in the Essex Cup as well.

Does any member have more data on the Essex Cup please? It is new name in competitions to me. Thank you.

Edited by Guest
spelling error.

2 hours ago, gustix said:

Does any member have more data on the Essex Cup please? It is new name in competitions to me. Thank you.

In 1930 the "Essex County Championship" was decided by total points scored, and was won by West Ham.
Match results were :
West Ham 31, High Beech 22
West Ham 34, Lea Bridge 20
Lea Bridge 30, High Beech 18
Lea Bridge 30, West Ham 18
High Beech 24, West Ham 30
High Beech 32, Lea Bridge 22

Steve

Edited by chunky

4 hours ago, gustix said:

1 hour ago, chunky said:

In 1930 the "Essex County Championship" was decided by total points scored, and was won by West Ham.
Match results were :
West Ham 31, High Beech 22
West Ham 34, Lea Bridge 20
Lea Bridge 30, High Beech 18
Lea Bridge 30, West Ham 18
High Beech 24, West Ham 30
High Beech 32, Lea Bridge 22

Steve

Knowing my bad luck on the BSF I have probably got this wrong as well, but I make the team aggregates as:

West Ham 95
Lea Bridge 72
High Beech 64

3 hours ago, gustix said:

Knowing my bad luck on the BSF I have probably got this wrong as well, but I make the team aggregates as:

West Ham 95
Lea Bridge 72
High Beech 64

NOT EVEN CLOSE! :blink: I don't think you can claim "bad luck" either; bad addition, bad eyesight etc... 

:rolleyes:

Or are you seeking attention/pity by being that far off?  :nono:

The totals are:

West Ham 113, Lea Bridge 102, High Beech 96.

Steve

33 minutes ago, chunky said:

NOT EVEN CLOSE! :blink: I don't think you can claim "bad luck" either; bad addition, bad eyesight etc... 

:rolleyes:

Or are you seeking attention/pity by being that far off?  :nono:

The totals are:

West Ham 113, Lea Bridge 102, High Beech 96.

Steve

You really detest me don't you? I can accept that I made an error - I wrongly calculated on three matches. I now see each team had FOUR scores to take into consideration. Your response could have been to correct me in a polite manner - you chose otherwise Sobeit!

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, gustix said:

You really detest me don't you? I can accept that I made an error - I wrongly calculated on three matches. I now see each team had FOUR scores to take into consideration. Your response could have been to correct me in a polite manner - you chose otherwise Sobeit!

I do not detest you. I have often defended you, and I have given you friendly advice. I don't believe you are stupid - I have often said that - but to be that far off when you are adding FOUR simple numbers, does seem bizarre. And you did that for all three teams...

The reason I wondered if you were seeking attention - and I do apologize if that truly wasn't your intention - was that "knowing my bad luck on the BSF" comment.  Your problems on the forum have nothing to do with "bad luck", and the crazy totals you came up with here have nothing to do with bad luck. Your decision to even contemplate making an unnecessary (and seemingly pity-seeking) comment like that was exceedingly ill-founded.

Steve

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chunky said:

I do not detest you. I have often defended you, and I have given you friendly advice. I don't believe you are stupid - I have often said that - but to be that far off when you are adding FOUR simple numbers, does seem bizarre. And you did that for all three teams...

The reason I wondered if you were seeking attention - and I do apologize if that truly wasn't your intention - was that "knowing my bad luck on the BSF" comment.  Your problems on the forum have nothing to do with "bad luck", and the crazy totals you came up with here have nothing to do with bad luck. Your decision to even contemplate making an unnecessary (and seemingly pity-seeking) comment like that was exceedingly ill-founded.

Steve

I made the comment in jest  - very wrongly as it now transpires - because I presumed my calculations for the overall totals were correct. I have no idea how I managed to miss out the complete details from my overall totals.

The tenure of your previous comment also suggested that bad calculation was not a happening on my part when as it happens such was the case - sheer carelessness by me.

I am especially offended by the remark in regard to my eyesight. Perhaps the staff at Moorfield will be interested in your diagnosis for me? I have been attending this much respected hospital for more than two years.

A basic guide in regard to a response to my forum comment which  you apparently disagree with is "...criticise the Post and NOT THE POSTER..."

Edited by Guest