British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

London History Site

These are the London area tracks featured on the London Speedways discussion site. Debate is both historical from 1928 onwards to the present time.

ARENA ESSEX/LAKESIDE HAMMERS

BARNET.

CATFORD.

CLAPTON/ALSO KNOWN AS LEA BRIDGE

CRAYFORD.

CRYSTAL PALACE.

DAGENHAM.

ELSTREE.

GREENFORD.

HACKNEY/LONDON LIONS (1996).

HARRINGAY.

HIGH BEECH.

LEA BRIDGE/ALSO KNOWN AS CLAPTON.

LONDON LIONS/HACKNEY.

LONDON WHITE CITY.

NEW CROSS.

ROMFORD.

RYE HOUSE.

STAINES.

STAMFORD BRIDGE.

WALTHAMSTOW

WEMBLEY

WIMBLEDON.

Go to http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi

Should the late 1950s training track at Chiswick be added as a former London speedway?

Should the late 1950s training track at Chiswick be added as a former London speedway?

Well I'd say Chiswick's as much 'London' as Barnet, Staines, Rye House (Hoddesdon), Elstree, Greenford and High Beech... So yes.... :rolleyes:

Well I'd say Chiswick's as much 'London' as Barnet, Staines, Rye House (Hoddesdon), Elstree, Greenford and High Beech... So yes.... :rolleyes:

And Crayford... :wink:

And Crayford... :wink:

Well, Crayford (disregarding its alleged '30s incarnation - as a grass speedway track I believe.. :unsure: ), as a League track was ALWAYS in a London Borough (LB Bexley...) as opposed to an UDC of Kent...

High Beech and Hoddesdon are not and never have been in London Boroughs.. Barnet & Staines are now..: but not sure if there were when Speedway was there; and fairly certain the same would've applied to Elstree and certainly Greenford...

And Thurrock (where Arena Essex is...) has also never been in a London Borough :shock:

So, yes, actually Crayford is far more of a London track than any of those other ones...!!! :approve:

Well, Crayford (disregarding its alleged '30s incarnation - as a grass speedway track I believe.. :unsure: ), as a League track was ALWAYS in a London Borough (LB Bexley...) as opposed to an UDC of Kent...

High Beech and Hoddesdon are not and never have been in London Boroughs.. Barnet & Staines are now..: but not sure if there were when Speedway was there; and fairly certain the same would've applied to Elstree and certainly Greenford...

And Thurrock (where Arena Essex is...) has also never been in a London Borough :shock:

So, yes, actually Crayford is far more of a London track than any of those other ones...!!! :approve:

Fully agree. Perhaps someone will point this out on the site eventully? :wink:

I'd certainly be interested in hearing more about the Chiswick Track, especially as my father was captain of the homeless Chiswick "Nomads" circa 1957.

I remember him telling me that the Promoter was the ex-Aldershot boss Ted Payne (father of Steve, who himself rode in the 80's for Milton Keynes).

I'd certainly be interested in hearing more about the Chiswick Track, especially as my father was captain of the homeless Chiswick "Nomads" circa 1957.

I remember him telling me that the Promoter was the ex-Aldershot boss Ted Payne (father of Steve, who himself rode in the 80's for Milton Keynes).

There is a mention about Roy Pickering on the site.

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi

Edited by speedyguy

Barnet and Staines were not in London when there was speedway there. Clapton (Lea Bridge) was never in London when it was operating as a speedway either. West Ham and Wembley were not in London until their respective revivals in 1964 and 1970.

Barnet and Staines were not in London when there was speedway there. Clapton (Lea Bridge) was never in London when it was operating as a speedway either. West Ham and Wembley were not in London until their respective revivals in 1964 and 1970.

I will have to check with my copy of 'Speedway in London' to verify all this new data. :rolleyes: It has also raised concerns as to whether Crystal Palace (Penge and Anerley UDC) and Wimbledon were also bona-fide London tracks. More importantly, it also gives doubt as to the validity of both the London Riders Championship and London Cup in the sport's early days.

If the culling of clubs advocated for the London Speedways was to be followed, I can only see these as genuine London tracks - Catford, Harringay, Hackney, New Cross and Stamford Bridge...and the Chiswick training circuit.

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi

Edited by speedyguy

It has also raised concerns as to whether Crystal Palace (Penge and Anerley UDC) and Wimbledon were also bona-fide London tracks. More importantly, it also gives doubt as to the validity of both the London Riders Championship and London Cup in the sport's early days.

If the culling of clubs advocated for the London Speedways was to be followed, I can only see these as genuine London tracks - Catford, Harringay, Hackney, New Cross and Stamford Bridge...and the Chiswick training circuit.

Surely NOT Chiswick!!??? :shock:

Wimbledon was always a London post-code was it not..? As I'd have said was Clapton (Lea Bridge)..??

And you've forgotten White City, s-g.. No doubt, surely, that Shepherds Bush is 'London'..!! :blink:

Having a London postcode didn't mean places were in London. The Clapton track was in Leyton in the beautiful county of Essex.

Edited by norbold

Having a London postcode didn't mean places were in London. The Clapton track was in Leyton in the beautiful county of Essex.

How did they decide eligibility for the London Cup and London Riders Championship in the 'good old days' then?

I don't suppose they had any hard and fast rules. Clapton, West Ham and Wembley were all near enough I suppose.

Incidentally, West Ham, Clapton and High Beech used to take part in the Essex Cup as well.

Edited by norbold