British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PhilK

British U15 Championship 2009

as their lad clearly won that title on merit over the two rounds and then final double-points round of that year.

And you still haven't got it right. :rolleyes:

In 2007, there were three rounds - at Weymouth, Northside and Oxford. The riders best round score from either Weymouth OR Northside PLUS their points from Oxford (NOT double points) made up their final score.

The top three were:

Daniel Greenwood 15 + 17 = 32 (after run-off)

James Sarjaent 17+ 15 = 32

Brendan Johnson 17 +14 = 31

Got it now? :wink:

And I'm glad that you have now come around to everyone else's way of thinking, that Daniel Greenwood was a most worthy winner of the 2007 British Under-15 Championship. I really hope he is able to compete in the National League in 2009.

It was a pity you didn't check the facts before your initial post. :rolleyes:

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

I have got a bit confused with all the posts here :rolleyes:

Can someone just state the dates & venues for this years competition ?

I have got a bit confused with all the posts here

Can someone just state the dates & venues for this years competition ?

Can’t say I blame you for being confused HT… To date no posting here has actually given the full picture.. Neither does this one.. :blink: ; but my understanding is that there are to be six or seven rounds as follows:

2 May Scunthorpe

23 May Newport

13 June Weymouth

25 July Buxton

22 August Northside (??)

19 September Stoke (??)

Round Seven(or rather an additional round meaning they'll be seven in total..) may happen at a track currently not open but due – hopefully – to be opening very soon…!!! :neutral:

BTW, I stand to be corrected (just for a change... :oops: ) on any of the above!!!! :wink:

Round Seven(or rather an additional round meaning they'll be seven in total..) may happen at a track currently not open but due – hopefully – to be opening very soon…!!!

BTW, I stand to be corrected (just for a change...:oops: ) on any of the above!!!!

Indeed sadly I DO have to stand corrected..: as have tonite been informed that sadly, after great hopes, that the track which WAS to have returned to competitive (and training..) action is now to be tarmaced and turned into a car park... :cry::mad:

Been a winter of very bad news and now this latest blow. :cry: . Full details will be in the Star next week...

Indeed sadly I DO have to stand corrected..: as have tonite been informed that sadly, after great hopes, that the track which WAS to have returned to competitive (and training..) action is now to be tarmaced and turned into a car park... :cry::mad:

Been a winter of very bad news and now this latest blow. :cry: . Full details will be in the Star next week...

Not good news Derek :neutral:

Maybe Mildenhall could step in and offer a round of this Championship, maybe a word hey :wink:

Well only a month to the first round and not one rider has been asked if he wants to do the rounds, but its the bspa so don t know why i expected any different. I am struggling to see who is eligable to ride and I know that some of the ones that are able to ride have booked to ride elsewhere on may 2nd when scunny round is on. Do the bspa treat the u21 or the main title like this answer NO, do they think lads just hang round waiting for them to call answer. Just because there under 15 doesn t mean they don t fill there diary s with as many meeting as possible. Hope bspa sort it soon or they might struggle for riders.

Well only a month to the first round and not one rider has been asked if he wants to do the rounds, but its the bspa so don t know why i expected any different. I am struggling to see who is eligable to ride and I know that some of the ones that are able to ride have booked to ride elsewhere on may 2nd when scunny round is on. Do the bspa treat the u21 or the main title like this answer NO, do they think lads just hang round waiting for them to call answer. Just because there under 15 doesn t mean they don t fill there diary s with as many meeting as possible. Hope bspa sort it soon or they might struggle for riders.

What a shame it doesn't seem to be organised any better than previous years :cry: Personally I would have been phoning round eligible riders as soon as the dates were confirmed. Always one of my favourite meetings at Weymouth I just hope we have enough riders to make it competitive! If some of the lads who have been at our training schools are anything to go by there should be some fantastic racing as they were really getting to grips with the circuit, fingers crossed someone in charge pulls their finger out pdq.

Jules

this should be a awesome competion ,, with the scunny young guns aka kyle , james & ashley ,, and the other wanna be's , i for one are looking forward to watching these young guns ripping it up ,, all the best to the scunny lads

this should be a awesome competion ,, with the scunny young guns aka kyle , james & ashley ,, and the other wanna be's , i for one are looking forward to watching these young guns ripping it up ,, all the best to the scunny lads

Hmm, I could be wrong (it has been known... :oops: ) but am not sure that James Sarjeant still qualifies for the U-15s championship does he..?? :unsure: Surely any riders able to take their place in a NL side at season's-start must by definition be too old for the U-15s..?? Which would suggest that Kyle's in the same boat.. :blink:

I suggested a few months back that it would make better sense to change to an Under 16s championship giving better chances to youngsters to get a NL team berth and still give their all to the national junior championship (rather than the conflict that can confuse or divide...) but - quelle surprise! - I don't think one single person commented on that idea..!! :rolleyes:

Hmm, I could be wrong (it has been known...:oops: ) but am not sure that James Sarjeant still qualifies for the U-15s championship does he..?? :unsure: Surely any riders able to take their place in a NL side at season's-start must by definition be too old for the U-15s..?? Which would suggest that Kyle's in the same boat.. :blink:

I suggested a few months back that it would make better sense to change to an Under 16s championship giving better chances to youngsters to get a NL team berth and still give their all to the national junior championship (rather than the conflict that can confuse or divide...) but - quelle surprise! - I don't think one single person commented on that idea..!! :rolleyes:

James doesn't qualify but Kyle does. James' birthday is November whilst Kyle's is February and for the U-15's the cut-off is 1st January whilst any rider can ride in the NL as soon as they turn 15.

With regards to your suggestion of being under-16 I must admit I didn't really understand it then nor now. How does extending the eligibility of riders prevent a conflict? Surely reducing the age would prevent a conflict.

Actually, Derek, I think U-15 is better than U-16 because it gives competition to riders not in the league whereas extending the age, in theory at least, might squeeze some of the younger ones out. The young league riders are more suited to the one-off U-18 meeting and the U-21 championship than a series of six meetings. That said any club who has riders eligible for the U-15 should do all they can to allow them to ride in the championship and the league should also encourage rearrangements where conflicts exist.

The greatest loss to the series was Peter Oakes and it was the BSPA that forced him out. IN my opinion there are only two people capable of running it succesfully. One being Laurence Rogers and the other Richard Hollingsworth. The BSPA aka # Name Removed # and Reeve rarely attend Junior meetings or Second Halves so have no idea who riders are and their abilities. They are happy to put expenses in to fly abroad and book hotels for the under 19's /21's but will not part with enough cash to run the under 15's here in the UK. All it takes is £1000 per round to put on at any track.

A classic quote I can give was in March 2008 when Oakes had packed in and I rang Reeve to ask about the series and any dates. I offered my services to help and to supply names of eligable riders. He said its ok we are writing to the 8 riders who currently have licences and have some dates i the pipeline.

He then questioned as to who I was and then said Does your son ride !!. Yes I said, have you not heard of him. No came the reply.

If the Chairman of the BSPA and also a match referee at the time had never heard of the 2007 under 15's Champion then what hope is there.

The under 16 debate has been discussed and will never work without conflict. What could happen is that riders who are aged 15 and 16 that are new to the sport could be allowed to take part. A good example of a riders who has missed out on this years competition is Connor Dwyer who has done a year on a 250 and is just getting onto a 500. He is too old to enter the Under 15's but would benefit from the racing it produces. I believe he cannot ride regularily with that age/ability group at second halves either because of his licence. However if a team wanted him to, he can ride in the National League.

Phil

Edited by morganbike

James doesn't qualify but Kyle does. James' birthday is November whilst Kyle's is February and for the U-15's the cut-off is 1st January whilst any rider can ride in the NL as soon as they turn 15.

With regards to your suggestion of being under-16 I must admit I didn't really understand it then nor now. How does extending the eligibility of riders prevent a conflict? Surely reducing the age would prevent a conflict.

Actually, Derek, I think U-15 is better than U-16 because it gives competition to riders not in the league whereas extending the age, in theory at least, might squeeze some of the younger ones out. The young league riders are more suited to the one-off U-18 meeting and the U-21 championship than a series of six meetings. That said any club who has riders eligible for the U-15 should do all they can to allow them to ride in the championship and the league should also encourage rearrangements where conflicts exist.

The point I was making is how things have changed now that one can't ride 500cc until one gets to 14: a fundamental change from the days that the likes of Josh could compete for two or three years. Josh of course won it twice...

If one has a birthday like young Kyle in Feb it's fine; but if - and the example I'll give is Marc Owen - one's birthday is August then this has an effect,I'd say..

Take last year, the Championship starts and Marc's only 13 so is restricted to 250cc. He actually leads that championship but come August when he's allowed to ride 500cc he - quite understandably IMO, for it's at 500cc he will need to ride to progress ASAP into the CL/NL and beyond... - moves up to the higher class. He actually wins his first round at that higher level but in the end it's inevitable he falls between two stools and essentially 2008 it was not possible for him to win the championship...

2009 is split in a way similarly for him. For in August he'll turn 15 and I'm not sure how many U-15 500cc rounds he'll have got through by then..; but clearly in August they'll be a big scramble among NL clubs to sign him up; one team will be lucky and then that'll be his priority: settling int this higher level of racing not being conducive to remaining focused on the U-15 rounds plus there being a chance of missing rounds due to clashing commitments....

So, essentially that may well adversely affect his chances of the championship..

Because of the decreased size of the 'window' for riders with birthdays mid-season since the new rules came in, my argument is make it an U-16s event and this gives a better chance for the best riders of each 'generation' to compete on a more level playing field for the title they deserve.

Now I'm only using Marc as an example and I know that actually he and his family are far more concentrated on his long term development and progress than the transitory matter of winning this title; but I do believe that the way it is currently constituted is now a tad unfair on those with mid-season birthdays and I just feel that the simple change to Under 16s (with the 250cc class remaining for essentially the 14 year olds...) would improve matters... :neutral:

Parsloes as always you have a way of applying spin to your arguments and your attempts to justify your statements that are often biased.

For instance

If one has a birthday like young Kyle in Feb it's fine; but if - and the example I'll give is Marc Owen - one's birthday is August then this has an effect,I'd say..

2009 is split in a way similarly for him. For in August he'll turn 15 and I'm not sure how many U-15 500cc rounds he'll have got through by then..; but clearly in August they'll be a big scramble among NL clubs to sign him up; one team will be lucky and then that'll be his priority: settling int this higher level of racing not being conducive to remaining focused on the U-15 rounds plus there being a chance of missing rounds due to clashing commitments....

So, essentially that may well adversely affect his chances of the championship..

The second piece above is your second point following the umbrella remark in qoutes listed first.

Now I would say that by having until August to concentrate on the Under 15's compared to February Marc Owen has an advantage over Kyle Howarth who is absolutely committed and proud to ride for Scunthorpe and makes his debut next week against the League Champions. He will be doing the U 15 Cahmpionship but has reached the disadvantage point you mention for Marc already.

I am not trying to score points for or against Marc Owen or Kyle Howarth and wish both of them the very best of luck. I am merely illustrating that for a scribe with your experience your spin is akin to that used by Alistair Campbell. You devalue your comments in every situation due to being blinded by your support for perceived various good causes which is why I call you a supporter. You are unable to look objectively at anything it would seem.

I think you would do far better to read the excellent post by Morganbike and fight that cause and also the problems clearly specified by 771Neil. Get your spin to work on those matters for the benefit of all of the riders.

Malcolm Vasey

Parsloes as always you have a way of applying spin to your arguments and your attempts to justify your statements that are often biased.

Very harsh words Malcolm. I know both you & I are old Stalinists, but really you're taking your thought-police doctrines a bit far here... :rolleyes:

Richard asked for the logic behind my theory about expanding the championships to U-16 and so I explained it. You're welcome to disagree but to do so in such a way seems like you're not interested in any alternative arguments or theories being suggested. :cry:

The ONLY reason I've suggested this change is because of the change relating to under 14 years olds having to ride 250cc. I won't explain again as you appear to think that I'm expressing some "biased" view. My only question: exactly WHAT is it you think I'm being biased for..??!! :unsure: