British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yesterdaysman

Riders Who Went Into Transport Industry.

Just something I was thinking about! I mean who operated Companies or Owner Drivers, not ex riders who went Truck driving. There seemed to be a similar discipline I think.

Here are a few to start: Jimmy Squibb (Southhampton) Bob Kilby (Swindon) Johnny Reason (Cov.) Ron Mason, Ray Wilson (Leics.) Oliver Hart, Ron Clarke, Jack Kitchen (Yorks.) Wayne Briggs (Edinburgh) Dave Parry (Coaches) (West Mids.) George Major (West mids.) Ashley Pullen (Oxford) Oh and Ove Fundin, somewhere in Sweden!!..... Any more? ....... :unsure:

Just something I was thinking about! I mean who operated Companies or Owner Drivers, not ex riders who went Truck driving. There seemed to be a similar discipline I think.

Here are a few to start: Jimmy Squibb (Southhampton) Bob Kilby (Swindon) Johnny Reason (Cov.) Ron Mason, Ray Wilson (Leics.) Oliver Hart, Ron Clarke, Jack Kitchen (Yorks.) Wayne Briggs (Edinburgh) Dave Parry (Coaches) (West Mids.) George Major (West mids.) Ashley Pullen (Oxford) Oh and Ove Fundin, somewhere in Sweden!!..... Any more? ....... :unsure:

Jack Parker ran the family stone haulage company in Alperton simultaneously with riding speedway.

Before taking up speedway in its pioneer days he was a works rider for BSA. His employers sent him to High Beech to survey the sport and report back so that they could decide whether it was worth their becoming involved. History does not tell us what report Parker gave (if any). Suffice to say that Jack immediately switched from trials to speedway.

I am one of thousands who rejoiced in his decision.

Ove had a business transporting oil around Sweden but had to pack that in as he came to be a Norwich Star. He was also involved in the fur trade as well

Ex Norwich, Wombwell and Leicester rider Harwood Pike had a transport business and "Flyer" Wyer, from Sheffield, was one of his drivers

Ex Stars rider Derek Strutt was also a lorry driver and would change en-route to be ready for a match, he was often seen driving whjlst wearing his helmet.

Edited by star ghost

The Shears family run the sucessful coach company Chalfont Coaches, plenty of happy days on them going to Racers away matches! :wink:

Armando Castagna was a coach driver-didnt he take over behind the wheel when the normal driver got tired ,on the legendry Chalfont/Racers northern tours-bikes in the back,riders and hangers-on in the front !!

Don't want to be picky but the original post was : Riders who went into the transport industry as operators or owner drivers! Not sure if the Shears family were ever riders! or if George Hunter and Armando Castagna were ever owner drivers, :unsure: But someone may know differently!! :wink::lol:

Don't want to be picky but the original post was : Riders who went into the transport industry as operators or owner drivers! Not sure if the Shears family were ever riders! or if George Hunter and Armando Castagna were ever owner drivers, :unsure: But someone may know differently!! :wink::lol:

Sorry to completely ruin your thread-i apologise profusely.

Sorry to completely ruin your thread-i apologise profusely.

Not at all old chap, it's all just a bit of fun. _squee__by_Synfull.gif Oh, by the way in your post re- Riders and hangers on in the front, were you refering to the seven man team! Lol_by_phillyzero.gif:wink:

Not at all old chap, it's all just a bit of fun. _squee__by_Synfull.gif Oh, by the way in your post re- Riders and hangers on in the front, were you refering to the seven man team! Lol_by_phillyzero.gif:wink:

No in those days we did have a team ! Spannerboy knows all about the hangers-on ! !

Tom Owen was definitely into plant hire as he used to deal with my husbands company. One year, at Christmas, instead of the usual bottles of booze being offered, Tom rolled up with a trailer full of carrots.