British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 30 Out Now!

ISSUE 30 is out now and includes:

MAIN MAN: PREBEN ERIKSEN

Committed rider who never gave less than 100 per cent ¬ or a wild man who should have been committed? He was one of the most forceful riders of his era whose robust riding style divided opinion. Preben Eriksen talks about his ‘hard man’ tag and recalls some of the explosive incidents that brought the Danish World Team Cup winner unwelcome headlines during his eventful spells with Ipswich and Wolverhampton.

In this exclusive, Eriksen told Backtrack: “I was never a dirty rider. I never did anything to anyone deliberately. Sometimes I was a bit too ambitious and I tried a bit too hard, but I never went out to push someone out of the way.”

It was our lead columnist JOHN BERRY who introduced Preben to British speedway in 1979. Read what the former Ipswich boss thinks about one of his few overseas imports.

NEIL MIDDLEDITCH

As supporter, rider and now successful team manager, Neil Middleditch has virtually done the lot at Poole.

Backtrack ventured into deepest Dorset to talk to a candid Middlo about all aspects of his speedway life with Eastbourne, the Pirates and Arena-Essex ¬ his highs and the lows, how it all turned sour at Wimborne Road and the problems and heartache of managing Great Britain.

BARRY BRIGGS

Only a track legend as determined and passionate for his sport as Barry Briggs would even dare contemplate a racing comeback at the age of 49. But that¹s what Briggo did 25 years ago. Following part one of our in-depth exclusive interview with the mighty Kiwi in our last issue, we talk to Barry about other events that followed his retirement from British League speedway in 1976, including New Zealand¹s historic World Team Cup victory.

SHAWN McCONNELL

He may not have scaled the dizzy heights of his American contemporaries but just like vintage California wine, Shawn McConnell has matured into one of the finest products of the west coast scene. We catch up with the former Birmingham and Swindon rider.

ROCHDALE and ELLESMERE PORT

Speedway tracks come and go but mostly they go, never to return. Sadly, we have seen the last of two old northern venues, Rochdale and Ellesmere Port, where success on the track was not reflected at the turnstiles. Rochdale’s Athletic Grounds is now the site of a Morrisons Supermarket and Thornton Road Greyhound Stadium, Ellesmere Port, which has not staged speedway since 1985, is expected to be sold for housing this year. But both venues and their speedway history are inextricably linked because when Rochdale closed after only two seasons, in 1971, many of their riders moved to Ellesmere Port, near Merseyside, which opened the following year.

This article is really about why the two tracks opened in the first place and why they closed.

SWINDON HEROES

We name the Top 20 Robins heroes from the Backtrack era of 1970-90. Martin Ashby, Bob Kilby, Phil Crump and, of course, Barry Briggs are in there, but who else made it?

Plus . . . Tribute to the late Bob Kilby, Andrew Silver’s comeback bid, John Berry on junior second halves, Rod Haynes’ column, Q&As with former Wembley announcer Ed Stewart and Mark Crang, your letters and another huge helping of nostalgia from the 70s and 80s . . .

http://www.retro-speedway.com/

Got mine already cheers TMC

Oh and just finished reading Kenny Carter - Tragedy what an absolute tear jerker that was, fantastically put together :approve:

Ordered my copy of Backtrack today...... Ben Eriksen piece was the reason.

I used to wash his bikes when I was younger.... he lived right opposite me

when he rode for the Witches.... Those were the days.

Also ordered a copy of Tragedy too... seen so many postive reviews and

couldn't miss out on that one. I know its been out for ages, but money has

been tight...but had to have it.

My copy of Bcktrack arrived today... The Preben Eriksen copy....fantastic

stuff people, far far better than I had expected it to be.

I was there the night that Ben chopped his finger against the Brummies

in the KOC.

Good to read that Ben is doing well for himself too.

The Kenny Carter book... what a read that is, I honestly cant put the

thing down, its riveting to read. Thanks for that to..... as Arnie said a

few times... "I'll Be Back"...