Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Speedway Star Writers Of The Sixties

Speaking of standards of literacy-Paul Parish's report of the U.K. Final of 1964 in the Speedway Star(4 Sept 1964) was very good -I just dug it out-I had remembered after all these years him starting off his article"The Beatles record of 'Things we said today'................." and how he was able to recreate the atmosphere for your imagination. I think you had to use your imagination more in those days-only black and white photos etc.

No, but there used to be a writer called John Hyam :lol:

Just dug two of the three editions of the annual 'Speedway Digest' from1961 and 1962. Both edited by 'a writer called John Hyam.' :lol:

These were both recognised at the time as excellent successors to the by then defunct 'Stenners' annuals. What a man!

met robin martakies at the weymouth training school in the early seventies, i believe he lives in the lake district and was behind the scenes at chris roynons abborted attempt at national league at barrow in 1985.

Just dug two of the three editions of the annual 'Speedway Digest' from1961 and 1962. Both edited by 'a writer called John Hyam.' :lol:

These were both recognised at the time as excellent successors to the by then defunct 'Stenners' annuals. What a man!

Touchy, touchy! :lol: Haven't Raynes Park Vale got a game tonight?

I can't follow this stuff-is speedyguy really John Hyam-enlighten the rest of us guys.

Speaking of standards of literacy-Paul Parish's report of the U.K. Final of 1964 in the Speedway Star(4 Sept 1964) was very good -I just dug it out-I had remembered after all these years him starting off his article"The Beatles record of 'Things we said today'................." and how he was able to recreate the atmosphere for your imagination. I think you had to use your imagination more in those days-only black and white photos etc.

That was a brilliant report, BOBBATH. I still remember it as being one of the outstanding pieces of journalism in the speedway press.

I can't follow this stuff-is speedyguy really John Hyam-enlighten the rest of us guys.

I have a vague recollection this is so and he used to report on the Southern Area League some 50+ years ago

I have a vague recollection this is so and he used to report on the Southern Area League some 50+ years ago

John Hyam also tried his hand on a bike - a "protege"!! of both Al Holliday and Jim Chalkley - among others... There's even a photo of him in the Johnnie O'Connor Photo Album on oldtimespeedway!!! :rolleyes:

OK speedyguy as an SAL guy of 50+ years -do you(or anyone) know what happened to Ernie Lessiter-who just beat out Alby Golden(RIP) for the SAL Riders Championship in -was it 1953??I know Ernie later went on to ride for Swindon.

OK speedyguy as an SAL guy of 50+ years -do you(or anyone) know what happened to Ernie Lessiter-who just beat out Alby Golden(RIP) for the SAL Riders Championship in -was it 1953??I know Ernie later went on to ride for Swindon.

It was 1954 in a final at Rye House. Didn't Ernie also have a spell with Oxford? He was a very good rider and excellent to watch in action. I'll check my records as to what happened to him.

Edited by speedyguy

Robin (or Ross -never sure which) Martakies.

Robin and Ross Martakies were brothers, both wrote about speedway.

Ernie lived in Oxford but don't think he ever rode for them, prefering the bigger Swindon track. He did try a spell in the Provincial League with Wolverhampton but by then had started his own building firm so retired to concentrate on that. In later years I believe he took the position of Building Inspector with Oxford City Council, but kept an interest in Speedway attending meeting at Cowley regularly. Sadly passed away now but I can't remember the exact year off hand.

Yes Ernie rode for Swindon-Alby Golden always spoke very highly of him and often referred to the night he got beat out as SAL Riders Champion by Ernie-those were the days.!!

Robin and Ross Martakies were brothers, both wrote about speedway.

Bet you've never seen them together. They are the same person :wink:

Bet you've never seen them together. They are the same person :wink:

And so were many others... :unsure: