British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Speedway Star Writers Of The Sixties

Bet you've never seen them together. They are the same person :wink:

And so were many others... :unsure:

I remember there being quite a few dual (or maybe even triple) identities for these journalists. Another example was the Star's Jock Andersen, who in real life was the Evening News' John Gibson.

What was the reason for this? I can see how Speedway Star could be made to look like a larger enterprise than it actually was by having a handful of guys trying to look like a cast of thousands, but why local reporters who weren't on the staff use pen-names?

I remember there being quite a few dual (or maybe even triple) identities for these journalists. Another example was the Star's Jock Andersen, who in real life was the Evening News' John Gibson.

What was the reason for this? I can see how Speedway Star could be made to look like a larger enterprise than it actually was by having a handful of guys trying to look like a cast of thousands, but why local reporters who weren't on the staff use pen-names?

Probably because they were 'moon-lighting' - their full-time employers probably didn't approve of them writing elsewhere. Especially if they were submitting a re-hash of their full-time job's story which they had been commissioned to do! :rolleyes:

The crazy rules exist to this day!

Have you seen some of the ridiculous names the Speedway Star scribes have?

I think the Star lacks the quality of the previous era due to the apparant fear factor in publishing any sort of opinion which might appear to be critical of the promoters.

Whether that is because they are too matey with them or they fear that the magazine will be banned from sale at certain tracks I don't know.

One example was the pathetic attempt at a survey about the tactical double rule. The Star promised the fans a voice then worded the question with the phrase '... in it's current form' at the end.

The vote was 90 odd percent in favour of a change but the promoters just amended the rule slightly, stated that they had complied with the fan's wishes and nothing more was heard on the subject.

Barry Wallace, say no more.

Why's Barry Wallace mentioned? That's his real name...? :unsure:

Edited by speedyguy

I think the Star lacks the quality of the previous era due to the apparant fear factor in publishing any sort of opinion which might appear to be critical of the promoters.

Whether that is because they are too matey with them or they fear that the magazine will be banned from sale at certain tracks I don't know.

One example was the pathetic attempt at a survey about the tactical double rule. The Star promised the fans a voice then worded the question with the phrase '... in it's current form' at the end.

The vote was 90 odd percent in favour of a change but the promoters just amended the rule slightly, stated that they had complied with the fan's wishes and nothing more was heard on the subject.

A bit off topic for 'Speedway Star Writers Of The Sixties'? :unsure:

Edited by speedyguy

Back on topic-remember other local reporters like Frank Drake(Exeter reports), Peter Morrish(Midlands) Howard Jacobi(Midlands)-were these people all real-??also I think there was a real Dave Stevens but what about Danny Carter(Gossip 'n Gas)-??also I always liked the way they would put obviously made up comments as being spoken by the riders-Dave Lanning often did this, also the way Swedish riders were quoted in a sort of pidgin English.(Probably other "alsos" also!!!!!!!!!!)

Back on topic-remember other local reporters like Frank Drake(Exeter reports), Peter Morrish(Midlands) Howard Jacobi(Midlands)-were these people all real-??also I think there was a real Dave Stevens but what about Danny Carter(Gossip 'n Gas)-??also I always liked the way they would put obviously made up comments as being spoken by the riders-Dave Lanning often did this, also the way Swedish riders were quoted in a sort of pidgin English.(Probably other "alsos" also!!!!!!!!!!)

I think Peter Morrish and Howard Jacobi were real enough, but a thinly-disguised Sir Francis Drake in Devon? Highly unlikely!

Danny Carter was yet another of Eric Linden's pen names.

I think Peter Morrish and Howard Jacobi were real enough, but a thinly-disguised Sir Francis Drake in Devon? Highly unlikely!

I think he was related to Jack Brodie and James Oldfield, if not then it was Bernie Randall and Bob Charles. Fairly positive on that! :rolleyes:

My favourite 'Speedway Star' writer of the late 1950s was the one-and-only Basil Storey.

I agree with you Speedway Guy , Basil Storey was the daddy of them all, my all time hero.

when you think that he single handed produced the Speedway Gazette with a circulation of 100,000 weekly while also holding down a job is incredible. Also he was based in the north east with an office in London and never drove a car!!. latter day hacks could not hold a candle to Baz.

Tony

I agree with you Speedway Guy , Basil Storey was the daddy of them all, my all time hero.

when you think that he single handed produced the Speedway Gazette with a circulation of 100,000 weekly while also holding down a job is incredible. Also he was based in the north east with an office in London and never drove a car!!. latter day hacks could not hold a candle to Baz.

Tony

I've never found a weekly speedway journal to come anywhere near equaling the overall quality of the Speedway Gazette. If only I could get my eyes on a copy or two I'd be in my personal cinders heaven!