British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Speedway Star Writers Of The Sixties

Hey Ron, what years was the Gazette published-I have read old copies of the News before it merged with the Star and that was written in an extremely literate way-contained words of more than one syllable even-today's Star sems like junk to me and I can't read it yecch!! It seems to be aimed at the semi literate-perhaps a comment on modern British education!!

I've never found a weekly speedway journal to come anywhere near equaling the overall quality of the Speedway Gazette. If only I could get my eyes on a copy or two I'd be in my personal cinders heaven!

Yes it was wonderful reading about Zena Lamb!

Hey Ron, what years was the Gazette published-I have read old copies of the News before it merged with the Star and that was written in an extremely literate way-contained words of more than one syllable even-today's Star sems like junk to me and I can't read it yecch!! It seems to be aimed at the semi literate-perhaps a comment on modern British education!!

Advancing years having dulled the memory somewhat I can't remember when the Gazette ceased publication, Bobbath. It was around in the 50s/early 60s I think.

Following the death of my friend Tink Maynard in a track crash in the 60s I lost interest in speedway for some years. When I returned to the sport the Gazette had ceased publication.

I agree to some extent with your final comment. However, having a head teacher and primary school teacher in my extended family, I'm of the opinion that there is a strong element of the old adage about not being able to make the horse drink involved.

Regards,

Ron.

The Speedway Gazette ceased publication in 1955.

It's last editor was Cyril J Hart. The Gazette was then owned by Doug Falby, business assistant in the late 1930s to pre-war promoter and rider Arthur 'Westy' Westwood. I wonder if anyone can remember who some of its contributors were - one was Frank Stein who had some "family" links to the 'Speedway Star' writers Jack Brodie, Bernie Randall and James Oldfield (among others!!!). :wink:

Reviewing all these posts which are v. interesting-I still have to ask what are Philip Rising and Paul Parish up to-I am sure they really existed(unlike me)

Reviewing all these posts which are v. interesting-I still have to ask what are Philip Rising and Paul Parish up to-I am sure they really existed(unlike me)

As far as I know Bob (and I'm sure you'll soon get some replies from some who still get the magazine), Philip Rising is the current editor of the SS. Don't know about Paul Parish...

Steve

Phil Rising is 'the guv'nor' at 'Speedway Star' and its managing editor. Paul Parrish moved into TV journalism.

The owner of the Speedway Star in the 1950s and early 1960s was Bob Bolle. He sold his interests I think mid-1960s. In the early 1970s he returned to speedway publishing and launched the Speedway Mail which survived into the mid-1980s.

Just over 10 years. Is that the record for the longest gap between two consecutive posts on the same thread?

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2019 at 1:07 PM, norbold said:

Just over 10 years. Is that the record for the longest gap between two consecutive posts on the same thread?

Wwith Caxton speedway not too far behind...

On 9/28/2019 at 6:07 PM, norbold said:

With respect norbold this is a speedway history thread. Often questions posed a long time ago have never been fully answered.

As a consequence, at least IMO, research is therefore ongoing. Perhaps that is why after much time has passed a topic resurfaces?

1 minute ago, gustix said:

With respect norbold this is a speedway history thread. Often questions posed a long time ago have never been fully answered.

As a consequence, at least IMO, research is therefore ongoing. Perhaps that is why after much time has passed a topic resurfaces?

I wasn't criticising, merely making an observation and asking a question.

Anyway, your record has now been broken by Chunky!

Just now, norbold said:

I wasn't criticising, merely making an observation and asking a question.

Anyway, your record has now been broken by Chunky!

Yes, but no. Not for longest gap between consecutive posts it ain’t:rofl:

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Yes, but no. Not for longest gap between consecutive posts it ain’t:rofl:

They're not consecutive. The first was from speedyguy, the next was from gustix. :P