Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rearing to go

Speedway From America

20:00 tommorow (sunday 22nd) on motors tv

USA National Speedway 2008

Spring Classic.

A small oval, 4 bikes, no brakes and some 20 heats to fight before the winner is eventually decided, Speedway is one of the most exciting 2 wheel series, and we show the very best racing from the 2008 season :wink:

Spring Classic.

A small oval, 4 bikes, no brakes and some 20 heats to fight before the winner is eventually decided, Speedway is one of the most exciting 2 wheel series, and we show the very best racing from the 2008 season :wink:

thanks for info - will have it recorded

Spring Classic.

Thanks for that. Sounds interesting enough to record. Senior Management is in possession of the TV at that time! :wink::shock:

Senior Management is in possession of the TV at that time! :wink::shock:

Yes I know what normally starts on the satellite channels at that time aswell Ron :P

Don't know what Motors TV are playing at. Tuned in to watch Sunday's speedway but they had quads on instead. Have they ditched the oval sport already. I am surprised that nobody has had a whinge before me.

Don't know what Motors TV are playing at. Tuned in to watch Sunday's speedway but they had quads on instead. Have they ditched the oval sport already. I am surprised that nobody has had a whinge before me.

Same here, I've set the V+ box to record every showing but all last week they were still showing the Costa Mesa meeting and the last 2 progs have both been quad racing!

WTF is gooin' on?? :blink::blink:

Same here, I've set the V+ box to record every showing but all last week they were still showing the Costa Mesa meeting and the last 2 progs have both been quad racing!

WTF is gooin' on?? :blink::blink:

The second meeting, the 40th Anniversary Meeting, was shown tonight at 6pm. I'm sure you'll be able to catch one of the repeats.

Well, they got round to showing the Season Opener tonight @ 6:00.

In some respects it's improved - a bit (or were there simply less cameras at the meeting?), but mostly it's reassuringly just as appalling.

Either it was recorded in betamax (remember that?) or there's a total lack of ability to convert NTSC to PAL.

The editing (for want of a better expression) is err... "innovative", with s-l-o-w cross fades between the cameras, monotone commentary, either overpowering or non-existent live audio, 1980's home-movie graphics, etc. etc.

From the amount of footage that features only the heads & occasionally the torsos of those racing it's evidently been recorded in 4:3 and cropped to fit 16:9 widescreen without the footage actually being LOOKED at. Christ even the sponsors logo is stretched!

Totally amateurish "production" that we should be pleased is being aired - because there isn't enough of a rag tag & bobtail image for speedway :rolleyes:

Still, I guess if they have to air 12 month old, second rate footage that is an embarrassment to the sport, at least they got their sponsorship right :unsure:

Edited by Backless

Dear Backless,

Thank you for your comments. I won't be responding to everything everyone posts on any forum, as obviously time would not be on my side, but I can say that everything written on this forum is read both by myself and the team at American Speedway Online who film the footage and complete the in-race edits.

I feel the need to post simply to clarify what I feel are a couple of innacuracies in your post.

Firstly I would like to take the opportunity to point out that the image quality is four times that of a standard DVD, so to compare it to Betamax is obviously somewhat off the mark.

My second point is regarding the graphical work. I am not sure what "home movie graphics" you were using in the 1980s, but I would like to show you what graphics were being used in the 1980s and 1990s by well-respected television companies.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/993/80sand9...edwaygraphi.png

The top image comes from ITV (1984), the second and third from Screensports (1987), the fourth from ITV (early 1990s) and the botttom two from Sky Sports (mid-1990s).

Please compare with:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7015/usan...peedway2008.png

Thank you for your interest in the series, and I hope that future programmes will capture your imagination,

Regards,

Alex Raby

I see this got the second highest ratings on Motors TV for the week ending 12 April:

Motors TV w/e 12 Apr 2009

2. USA NATIONAL SPEEDWAY 2008 (Fri 23:02) 16,000

Wow, they actually showed meeting 3 from Costa Mesa on Sunday (at last) so I guess that one will be doing the rounds for a week or two.

I tried sky+ to record the repeats due to having a full listing on days run first time. So far I have not had the speedway on once. Not sure what MotorsTV are doing but usually end up with motox instead. I want to see the meetings but until MotorsTv get their scheduling correct I will be giving it a miss.

For those who have not yet seen the AMA Nationals (one of the most exciting events of the season's programming), the remaining broadcasts are:

Friday 8th May at 11:25pm (after FIM World Ice Racing, so a double dose of two wheels!)

Saturday 9th May at 11am

Next week's programming features the 2008 Kid's Night, and will be broadcast on:

Sunday 10th May at 8:10pm

Monday 11th May at 3pm

Tuesday 12th May at 6pm

Wednesday 13th May at 2pm

Friday 15th May at 11pm

Saturday 16th May at 11am

This week's Speedway on Motors TV from the world famous Costa Mesa Speedway features 'Speedway and Sidecars' night:

Sunday 17th May at 9:15pm

Monday 18th May 2009 at 3pm

Tuesday 19th May 2009 at 6pm

Wednesday 20th May 2009 at 2pm

Friday 22nd May 2009 at 11:25pm

Saturday 23rd May 2009 at 11am

Video Preview:

Meeting Scorechart:

http://webjam-upload.s3.amazonaws.com/prog...d569__113__.pdf