British Speedway Forum
IAN2

Eastbourne 'credit Crunch'

Sitting down at Speedway !!!!!! You're 'avin' a larf !!!! I don't even like having to sit down at Football or in a pub for God sake !!! Sitting down is for wimps and women.... :wink:

I take the wink smiley into account, but I'm going to bite......... :lol:

Then what do you suggest for my mother who is not wheelchair bound but does have a bit of walking difficulty and cannot stand for too long?

Sheffield do charge for the window tables in the Panorama Room, and you can pay for the season if you wish.

Sat in the grandstand for as long as I can remember but wont untill this charge is dropped. 18 Quid (admission+programme+carpark) is already too much for the EL as it is now so adding more charges is in my view taking the p...

Senior Management went shopping to Morrisons today for 'a few things'. She came back with a well-laden shopping trolley and two bulging carrier bags.

'Good heavens, woman' said I as she unpacked it all 'What about the credit crunch'

Came the rely 'O, they didn't have any, so I got Weetabix'

I man just can't win! :rolleyes:

Coventry used to do that too. Ryanair tactics!! :rolleyes:

It's common at non-league and grass roots football clubs.

As Rabbit said Speedway clubs missed the trick in charging and as Paulr sets the standard's been set, so Speedway will only lose from it.

Sitting down at Speedway !!!!!! You're 'avin' a larf !!!! I don't even like having to sit down at Football or in a pub for God sake !!! Sitting down is for wimps and women.... :wink:

Sit down on the banking at Lakeside and you'll have an ar$e covered in rabbit droppings

Just as well as at lakeside us fans dont have the lux of a seated grandstand!!!come to think of it im not toooooooooo sure on what we stand on!!!!!!!!

Probably standing on the unmarked "resting places" of the last people to cross the Russell brothers!

Just as well as at lakeside us fans dont have the lux of a seated grandstand!!!come to think of it im not toooooooooo sure on what we stand on!!!!!!!!

We stand on the threshold of greatness and on hallowed ground !! :lol::wink:

I take the wink smiley into account, but I'm going to bite......... :lol:

No need to bite, the smiley was there for a reason as you say...and I do understand the predicament of many others who cannot stand for any length of time....it'll probably be me in a few years time.

Sit down on the banking at Lakeside and you'll have an ar$e covered in rabbit droppings

Tut, tut, tut Shadders !! :lol::wink:

Strewth! How far are you going back? :unsure:

Good value at Coventry as there is no extra charge for seating in the grandstand, second half racing every week, brilliant music (courtesy of Superbart) to make the evening go with a swing and disco afterwards in the understand bar.

Oh......just remembered.... there is Peter York so we can't have it all. :lol:

It was a long time ago I know but there was a transfer charge to get through into the grandstand and I think the upstairs bar areas also, Its so long ago I can't remember what it was though!!! :rolleyes:

:blink: As for Yorkie, he is far less annoying in my opinion that that Porky character at Wolves, not only does he do the annoying commentary on the last lap, but I reckon if he said "super trouper super Swede"

once on Monday and Sunday he must have said it a hundred times, he drives me round the bloody twist! :mad:

Edited by Beeone

It was a long time ago I know but there was a transfer charge to get through into the grandstand and I think the upstairs bar areas also, Its so long ago I can't remember what it was though!!! :rolleyes:

Yes I remember that too. At least 15 years ago I would say.

Are you talking a while back Andy ? as Ive never seen an additional charge for seats at Brandon (including ELRC) in the last 6 or so years except for the World Cup (which was not under Coventry's control)

Yes, they did it for years though I can't remember when it stopped,but sure it's less than 15 yrs ago. Perhaps a Bees fan out there will know?

Edited by AndyM

You're right SussexBulldog, I used to be the chap on the door collecting the money in the upstairs bar, and going further back, I used to collect the money for the open "scaffold" stand before it got pulled down!!

Interesting point, after 20 years of car park duty I got unceromoniously "sacked" by e-mail on grounds of cost cutting!!, i.e., it cost the club money in lost income by letting track staff in for free in return for them spending 2/3 hours working.

Fair enough you say, but they have had to take on additional staff to steward both ends of the grandstand, and they now have additional staff collecting admission tickets once you have gone through the main turnstiles!!

Where's the "saving" on lost income by cutting back on track staff??

Problem is that once it has become free the precedent has been set - so to introduce such a charge now may be seen as profiteering. My guess is that if Coventry were to introduce the extra £1 to sit in the grandstand (and I use the term loosely !!) then they may lose some attendees, so its a risk methinks. Plus there is the additional cost of staff to collect payment and 'control' access to the seats - I thinks its 2 people they have at KL to manage what is quite a small seating area

Valid points, but at some stage I suppose promoter's have to take what are seen to be unpopular measures if it's to the long term financial benefit of the club. Thinking more on the scenario for my own club, an extra £1 to sit in the grandstand could achieve appprox £1000 a week - equivalent to an extra 60-70 full paying customers through the gate. Admittedly, there is the stewarding issue, but then there's a few of those around the stadium that might be a bit better employed than they are at the moment :unsure:

Edited by rabbit

It penalises those people who for one reason or another are not able to stand for long periods of time. Due to a medical problem I can't stand for long and usually take a seat or stool with me but at tracks where there is a seated area don't bother to take them. I can see I'll have to take them with me to each track in future.

Not amused by the extra £1 charged for sitting in the grandstand, not the way to go in these hard financial times and will not be going in the said stand again. One hopes Mr Dugard changes his mind on this or everybody votes with their feet.

Why do people want to sit down to watch speedway? Never ever understood this - the sport is made for jumping up and down and shouting your head off.