British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

'3rd. Division' All-time Appearances

Malcolm if you'd have seen him trust me you wouldnt even ask - it was hideous :lol:

I have obtained that picture, maybe on the Fen Tigers forum one day :lol:

I have obtained that picture, maybe on the Fen Tigers forum one day :lol:

Nothing to do with me . . . :unsure::blink:

I am almost certain that the honour falls to Dean Felton.

I am currently about to reach the point in preparation for my new book which will contain detrails of all appearances in the Third Tier since 1994 where the Table of this information with CMA's etc will be complete. Then I can speak with authority.

Dean Garrod held the record once but he had dropped to fourth by the end of 2007 headed by Felton, Thompson and Burnett. David Mason was 7th and Matt Wright eighth!

The highest point scorer at the end of 2007 was David Mason with a total of 2249 (including bonus).

Malolm Vasey

Times have moved on since this helpful posting back in '09..

Deano's had two full seasons so am guessing he heads the appearance list still..

But surely Barrie Evans must be right up there too.. :unsure:

And points-wise, am guessing maybe 'Good' Evans (congrats on Bazza's wedding this weekend btw :approve: ) must also be near the top... :unsure:

Any update oh great 'PP' pplease!!? :wink:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone know who might hold the record for appearances all-time in the 'third tier' (known mainly as the CL over the years; now the NL..)??<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am currently about to reach the point in preparation for my new book which will contain detrails of all appearances in the Third Tier since 1994 where the Table of this information with CMA's etc will be complete. Then I can speak with authority.

Dean Garrod held the record once but he had dropped to fourth by the end of 2007 headed by Felton, Thompson and Burnett. David Mason was 7th and Matt Wright eighth! I expect my book which covers the whole of 2008 and many all time stats to be available in about 2-3 weeks.

The highest point scorer at the end of 2007 was David Mason with a total of 2249 (including bonus).

Malolm Vasey

Malcolm May i ask what you feel about such a record given that the third tier of racing was in effect a development league. With the inception of this tier was it ever believed that there would be riders who more or less spent whole careers in this standard of racing. Personally i think it's great when you see riders like Dean carrying on doing what they love doing but has it been a distraction from what the league was designed to do?

I don't have thoughts other way as my choice of speedway watching is generally PL but as a Rye Supporter of course I have watched quite a bit of the Raiders Cobras and love a trip to mildenhall as well

Good luck with the Book

Harry Ward

I think there's nothing wrong with the odd older rider in the third tier, as long as there are enough youngsters around them.

As for whether Dean Felton holds the appearance record, it depends if anyone from the 1947-1953 period surpasses him (the third tier was called Division 3 from 1947 to 1951 and then the Southern League in 1952 & 1953). But unfortunately we don't have the same kind of detailed information on this period.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

At the start of the 2011 season l make it that Dean Felton is still in number 1 place with 290 Apperances.

Followed by Tom Brown 248 Barrie Evans 239 and Luke Priest 231.

Points wise Barrie Evans is in 1st place with 2681 Followed by David Mason 2504 Tom Brown 2368 and Dean Felton 2324.

At the start of the 2011 season l make it that Dean Felton is still in number 1 place with 290 Apperances.

Followed by Tom Brown 248 Barrie Evans 239 and Luke Priest 231.

Points wise Barrie Evans is in 1st place with 2681 Followed by David Mason 2504 Tom Brown 2368 and Dean Felton 2324.

Many thanx.

Have to say that Tom Brown came up on the rails there... Didn't have him on my radar!! :shock:

And Luke more appearances than David Mason...? That would surprise me too....

Mark Thompson was high on the appearance list too but I suppose the past two years have seen Thommo overhauled...

Many thanx.

Have to say that Tom Brown came up on the rails there... Didn't have him on my radar!! :shock:

And Luke more appearances than David Mason...? That would surprise me too....

Mark Thompson was high on the appearance list too but I suppose the past two years have seen Thommo overhauled...

Mark Thompson is 5th on 224 and David Mason 6th on 218

Malcolm May i ask what you feel about such a record given that the third tier of racing was in effect a development league. With the inception of this tier was it ever believed that there would be riders who more or less spent whole careers in this standard of racing. Personally i think it's great when you see riders like Dean carrying on doing what they love doing but has it been a distraction from what the league was designed to do?

I don't have thoughts other way as my choice of speedway watching is generally PL but as a Rye Supporter of course I have watched quite a bit of the Raiders Cobras and love a trip to mildenhall as well

Good luck with the Book

Harry Ward

i have a couple of views about the NL/3RD division , first i dont think me or buzz or any of the older riders has ever stopped a young rider getting a place in the league , if they couldnt get a place it was more down to their ability than anything else , and imo calling the 3rd division a development/training or whatever you want to call it league is holding the league back , yes it is a league for young riders to learn and start out in the sport but speedway at all levels is a form of entertainment and the public are the wage payers, im speaking as a fan now when i say if i watch speedway i want to see great races not a trainng school ,i want to see the best that division can offer , i dont care if the riders are 70 or 15 years old , i just want to see great racing , i think their are some great stylish young riders in the NL but their are also some older riders that give good entertainment and surely thats what speedway is about , i know many promoters lost sight of the aspect of entertainment years ago but speedway needs them to get it back at all levels , calling it the national development league just says amature and dosent make me want to watch it ,so why would any new supporters

i have a couple of views about the NL/3RD division , first i dont think me or buzz or any of the older riders has ever stopped a young rider getting a place in the league , if they couldnt get a place it was more down to their ability than anything else , and imo calling the 3rd division a development/training or whatever you want to call it league is holding the league back , yes it is a league for young riders to learn and start out in the sport but speedway at all levels is a form of entertainment and the public are the wage payers, im speaking as a fan now when i say if i watch speedway i want to see great races not a trainng school ,i want to see the best that division can offer , i dont care if the riders are 70 or 15 years old , i just want to see great racing , i think their are some great stylish young riders in the NL but their are also some older riders that give good entertainment and surely thats what speedway is about , i know many promoters lost sight of the aspect of entertainment years ago but speedway needs them to get it back at all levels , calling it the national development league just says amature and dosent make me want to watch it ,so why would any new supporters

I agree 100%. And of course it ISN'T called the National Development League: this is just a strange line hidden away in the Rule book which certain individuals on here latch onto to make their 'point'. :rolleyes:

In all branding and other official documentation (like the fixtures!) it's called the National League!! :approve:

Well Said,there has to be entertaiment value to attract the fans and surely for the young guys their sights are set on beating the old hands to gauge their progession.Promoters always seem to want the best of both worlds these days regarding 3rd tier racing.Should not pay over the odds but there has to be a balance of youth and experiance.

i have often wondered if there is some sort of goverment/lottery grant if they call it development cause i cant see any other reason why they would want to call it that , the way speedway is run that wouldnt supprise me :wink:

i Deano have you retired hope not Buxton can fitt you in wy not give em a ring you are a legend up there :D

Edited by bw double

i Deano have you retired hope not Buxton can fitt you in wy not give em a ring you are a legend up there :D

Just found out we cant sign Dean Felton he is over 30 that is ageisum gone cookoo.I am getting pissed off with speedway jack lee : :mad:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone know who might hold the record for appearances all-time in the 'third tier' (known mainly as the CL over the years; now the NL..)??<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dean Garrod held the record once but he had dropped to fourth by the end of 2007 headed by Felton, Thompson and Burnett. David Mason was 7th and Matt Wright eighth! I expect my book which covers the whole of 2008 and many all time stats to be available in about 2-3 weeks.

Malolm Vasey

Hi Malcolm,

Can we expect an addition to the already impressive collection that makes up the history of the AL/CL/NL? Holds breath ...