British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stevehone

End of season fun

Even the end of season fun and games seems to have stopped in British speedway... was always a laugh having flour and egg fights, mechanic races etc.... what happened to fun in the sport?

• Like 1

A sad fact, the fun does seem to have gone as we remember it, it all seems commercially orientated these days, but then I think that is true of all sport now, its money first enjoyment second.

Even the end of season fun and games seems to have stopped in British speedway... was always a laugh having flour and egg fights, mechanic races etc.... what happened to fun in the sport?

For me the fun turned to horror @ Canterbury end of season .... when some clever person decided to rather than throw flour went into the garage out the back of the main stand and grab handful of powder (which was used for lining the gate) and throw it in my Uncles' face... result was he ended up in Kent & Canterbury Hospital and had to walk around like Roy Orbison for weeks on end not knowing whether his eyes would ever be right again. Fortunately his eyesight was fine after a while. Other than that the end of season "Frolics" were always fun.

Hi All

Hey Steve,you mentioned about going across the road to Sainsburys to ring the track. I can remember the swimming pool, is that where Sainsburys is now??

At the time when I new Jonnie & being young I never really new much about him. But as I got older & read more about him you realise how lucky you were to know him. Even found an old photo of him & me at a presintation night, that I didn`t know I had.

Cheers Mark

when some clever person decided to rather than throw flour went into the garage out the back of the main stand and grab handful of powder (which was used for lining the gate) and throw it in my Uncles' face... result was he ended up in Kent & Canterbury Hospital and had to walk around like Roy Orbison for weeks on end not knowing whether his eyes would ever be right again.

What year was that Shazz as I can remember either it happening or someone telling me about it? S'pose it was probably you telling me at end of season whilst threatening you with a handful of something

you mentioned about going across the road to Sainsburys to ring the track. I can remember the swimming pool, is that where Sainsburys is now??

No Marty, the swimming pool is next to Sainsburys.

Now you know why you got wet, every time you went shopping, Marty :shock:

Guest cheetahhawk
A sad fact, the fun does seem to have gone as we remember it, it all seems commercially orientated these days, but then I think that is true of all sport now, its money first enjoyment second.

So it's a good job that we have the forum so we can still have a bit of fun even if the powers that be disapprove :)

they still do the flour, egg, water bomb thing at workington, they even handcuffed Kake N and tipped a load of freezing cold water over his head last year! the speeches are pretty funny cause most of them are caked in allsorts!

What year was that Shazz as I can remember either it happening or someone telling me about it? S'pose it was probably you telling me at end of season whilst threatening you with a handful of something

The year you had your arms in plaster at the dinner/dance, you probably saw him walking around with his dark glasses on!

We had some "fun and frolics at the end of 2000 season at Rye, flour, water etc, riders being thrown into puddles, in 2001, i recall a "reverse race"...no i haven't spelt it wrong, but a race that was with all 14 riders from the meeting plus a few second halvers, raced the wrong way round the track, hence no real sliding coz the footrest was in the way!

and won by Peter Boast of Boston.

but i didn't see Mr Silver de-robed of his trousers like they used to at Hackney back in the eighties, but then thats probably a good thing!

The fun and frolics wasn't always reserved for the end of seasson only. I can remember a donkey race round Arlington, must have been 1969 or 1970, between Dave Lanning & Johnie Hoskins. Can't remember who won! :D

16 1/2 years on, and does anyone in British speedway still have the last night fun and games? In fact, does anyone still have fun at British speedway?