Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

History made tonight, Brum's first major silverware for 34 years since the 1975 NNL title.

History made tonight, Brum's first major silverware for 34 years since the 1975 NNL title.

Fantastic, sadly we didnt have a team to support for 20 years, so this is such a special win also it will get us good coverage with our battle with planning permission, this is good for the city of birmingham the council should realise this. I cant wait till they parade the trophy next Wednesday.

Edited by Brummie Kev

I don't care much for Semi Finals and Finals, prefer the old system

But not to take anything away from Brum, well done Lads,...... Congratulations

The second tier pairs, in whatever guise, has always been decided by a semi final and final, team man.

I wasn't there but from the updates it sounded a poor meet , by that no passing. Hope Shane is Ok.

Birmingham won after a poor first round but didn't Pakistan do that in cricket world cup the other week. I suppose it happens in all sports. Well done to them.

The second tier pairs, in whatever guise, has always been decided by a semi final and final, team man.

Not true.

It used to involve seven teams in the classic pairs format.

I recall going to Newport in 1999 when it was run under that format.

James Grieves apart from a diabolical exclusion in his first heat went through the card.

Edinburgh came nowhere as Kevin Little was injured early on.

Birmingham won after a poor first round but didn't Pakistan do that in cricket world cup the other week. I suppose it happens in all sports. Well done to them.

At the end of the day, you have to do it when it counts and we did that today. I can understand why people think the system is unfair but as you say its like it in most sports and in the PL pairs in previous seasons.

Surely that wouldn't matter at the Mecca of overtaking?

As proved in the first Semi when he totally missed the start and rounded both Comets on the 3rd and 4th bend. Cool as you like.

I wasn't there but from the updates it sounded a poor meet , by that no passing. Hope Shane is Ok.

Don't be so inept, just because the texter hasn't sent through each pass for the updater to put on the updates site, doesn't mean it didn't happen. For someone to sit at home and say it was a poor meeting is beyond a joke. Admittedly it wasn't as good racing-wise as last season but it had a hell of a lot to live upto, but that doesn't take it away from being a decent meeting which if you was there, you might of been able to see for yourself.

Well done Brummies, they were awesome in their last 4 races.

At the end of the day, you have to do it when it counts and we did that today. I can understand why people think the system is unfair but as you say its like it in most sports and in the PL pairs in previous seasons.

Everyone knew the system at the start, and it's the same for everyone B)

Edited by Najjer

Not true.

It used to involve seven teams in the classic pairs format.

I recall going to Newport in 1999 when it was run under that format.

James Grieves apart from a diabolical exclusion in his first heat went through the card.

Edinburgh came nowhere as Kevin Little was injured early on.

I appologize, I cant remember that format, how many times was that used :unsure: From 75 to 94 (excluding 91 - 93) it was the semis and a final, and with the exception of 1994, it was 16 clubs who took part. Think the pairs was re-introduced in 1997, did they use the 21 heat format from then for a few seasons :unsure: Maybe a reintroduction of the 7 man/21 heat format could be used, that way you could have two qualifiers and all the clubs can have a crack at it.

Edited by mervjankefanclub

Did King Kramer bottle it in the final?

Yep and unlike Johno who was trying to overtake, just trailed in last

Not a bad meeting but nowhere near as good as 08.

Brummie surprise winners but Lyons rode brilliantly in his late rides and the Piszcz head rode well too.

Just got back from Somerset, what a great night, well of course I'm biased cause we won, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS WE DID IT.

Well done Jason and Tommy you fought hard for it!

How can someone who wasn't there critise the meeting? As far as I'm concerned it was a great nights racing by all riders some better than others but nonetheless a great nights racing with plenty of overtaking!

Nice one to the Somerset supporters who were shouting for the Brummies when we weren't racing against them, and i'll give the guy his due (Tiny Tim) he was the first to grab hold of me and give me a congratulatory hug when we won! Speedway at its best!!!

Just face it you lot when the chips were down, we won when it mattered most!

Shame about Shane Parker, we heard he was ok just as we were leaving can anyone confirm this?

Yep and unlike Johno who was trying to overtake, just trailed in last

What's that, like the first Semi Final? ;)

Don't be so inept, just because the texter hasn't sent through each pass for the updater to put on the updates site, doesn't mean it didn't happen. For someone to sit at home and say it was a poor meeting is beyond a joke. Admittedly it wasn't as good racing-wise as last season but it had a hell of a lot to live upto, but that doesn't take it away from being a decent meeting which if you was there, you might of been able to see for yourself.

Well done Brummies, they were awesome in their last 4 races.

Totally agree Najjer.

It's so easy to slag off the meeting, as it seems a few armchair followers and those with an agenda have here :angry:

But as a total neutral last night, although we were backing ex Fen Tiger Jason Lyons :wink: , I thought it was a very good evening's racing. Of course it was never going to match the 2008 running, as that was one of those meetings you are lucky enough to witness every few years. Like you say the texter choose not to comment on every pass, fair enough, but in 23 races there were geniune passes in 13, hardly say that makes a bad meeting!!

The weather also needs to be considered here. We travelled up after Thursday night's Bournemouth v Isle of Wight meeting

in torrential rain, only to be met by more the next morning. As we drove into Burnham about 2pm yesterday it poured again and rain was running down the street. But despite all this the track was in excellent condition and raced as fairly as ever. There was more than one line for riders and many used them.

I hate to think what many tracks would have been like after all that rain, ours included :blink:

As for next year, hopefully this meeting will remain at the Oak Tree Arena and for years to come, excellent set up, brilliant track, good supporters who last night were excellent in defeat and generous in their applause for the winners.

Workington were announced as the 3rd place pair, but no one said why, I can only imagine it was due to points scored overall or from their group, both scenarios would have left Worky 3rd :unsure:

Hope the news on Shane Parker is positive and he is back racing soon.