Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bazaar3

Gp And Individual Formats

Over the years, the GP format has changed for the better for sure and I can remember in the late 9os when riders were going home after 2 rides in a GP.

But I would like to see a small change in both formats which not only do I think would be fairer for rider but also better for the paying customer who gets the extra race and I am sure both ideas have been done but I have no idea why they were scrapped.

Firstly, the individual and a perfect scenario would have to been last night's BF. I feel the top 2 scorers going straight into the final is not a good rule and this is why.

Richardson last night eased through in H18 into the final whilst his slightly lower scoring rivals managed to have 2 before he got back out and on an ever changing track like all of them do towards the end of the meeting, I feel it slips more into the hands of the riders in the playoffs then the top 2 who could of even had there last race in H17 meaning another 5 heats of wait.

Why not go back to the old format of 2 man semi finals with obviously 4 in each heat and once again this would I feel have improved racing by taking last night's scenario and throwing King and Bridger into the mix who were both on the gas but unlucky not to get into the final.

Secondly, I would prefer to see the consolation final in the GP brought back. No idea why it was scrapped. One it's an extra race and two I believe a better scoring system could come out of it because I think this format of a GP winner scoring less points than a rider in a meeting is a little amateurish although it seems fair, it looks totally stupid when comparing it to ther sports.

So rule makers....bring back the 2 semis in individual meetings and a consolation final in the GP, please. :approve:

Over the years, the GP format has changed for the better for sure and I can remember in the late 9os when riders were going home after 2 rides in a GP.

But I would like to see a small change in both formats which not only do I think would be fairer for rider but also better for the paying customer who gets the extra race and I am sure both ideas have been done but I have no idea why they were scrapped.

Firstly, the individual and a perfect scenario would have to been last night's BF. I feel the top 2 scorers going straight into the final is not a good rule and this is why.

Richardson last night eased through in H18 into the final whilst his slightly lower scoring rivals managed to have 2 before he got back out and on an ever changing track like all of them do towards the end of the meeting, I feel it slips more into the hands of the riders in the playoffs then the top 2 who could of even had there last race in H17 meaning another 5 heats of wait.

Why not go back to the old format of 2 man semi finals with obviously 4 in each heat and once again this would I feel have improved racing by taking last night's scenario and throwing King and Bridger into the mix who were both on the gas but unlucky not to get into the final.

Secondly, I would prefer to see the consolation final in the GP brought back. No idea why it was scrapped. One it's an extra race and two I believe a better scoring system could come out of it because I think this format of a GP winner scoring less points than a rider in a meeting is a little amateurish although it seems fair, it looks totally stupid when comparing it to ther sports.

So rule makers....bring back the 2 semis in individual meetings and a consolation final in the GP, please. :approve:

Thank you Bazaar 3 for sharing with us your own personal thoughts and wishes for the restructuring of the formats. I was going to suggest that the GP's adopt the same qualifying format used in last night's British Final because IMO the top 2 points scorers deserve to be placed straight into the final where there should be some guaranteed extra points to contest. I feel that whilst it is OK to reward the first 3 in a GP final with double points, the poor guy finishing fourth, who could have won all of his 5 races gets double zero. I take your point though about track conditions changing etc but I feel IMO the best 2 qualifiers deserve to be rewarded. I used to like the old GP format but as you say it was not fair that some riders were elimimated after just 2 rides. Do you remember how the GP's were run originally? i.e D Final, C Final, B Final, A Final. The points could be D (4,3,2,1) C (8,7,6,5) B (12,11,10,9) A (16,15,14,13)