British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dublin duke

Kenny Carter

Originally from Halifax - regular Dukes attender late 60's early 70's (with my Dad). Then moved away and lost touch. Re-born speedway fanatic following visit to ELRC in Bradford 1996.

I am aware of Kenny Carter through fleeting mentions in articles etc. but don't know much about him. Without wishing to be insensitive or macabre, I would be grateful if someone could give an overview of KC's life and career.

There hasn't been much response to this, Dublin Duke, probably because there was a big Kenny Carter discussion on the old forum fairly recently. I understand the old forum is to be archived as read-only so you should be able to read that in the future.

There were a few unsavoury comments about Kenny as well as some very positive ones... mostly positive thankfully.

If he had been alive he would have been included in the World Champions Nostalgia Night on merit I am sure

Kenny's first meeting for Newcastle was when Chris Prime died.

However great he became I think this always played on his mind.

Kenny was a great rider whose life was cut short through personal problems. He was outspoken and not afraid to make enemies but he was proud to be English and always rode his heart out. He was a rider you either loved or hated, nothing in between and his death was a great loss to Speedway. He would have surely been World Champ in different circumstances.

On the old forum thread re this subject there was one comment which was, however true, very badly put.

The fact remains whatever else he did as a rider he did something which was & is unforgiveable.

whilst people post on here eulogising what a great rider he was, nobody should forget what he did,

my personal opinion on thts topic is it should not even be running, the less said about ikenny carter & his actions the better.

To decribe his life being cut short "through personal problems" as it is above is pretty crass to say the least.

On the old forum thread re this subject there was one comment which was, however true, very badly put.

The fact remains whatever else he did as a rider he did something which was & is unforgiveable.

whilst people post on here eulogising what a great rider he was, nobody should forget what he did,  

my personal opinion on thts topic is it should not even be running, the less said about ikenny carter & his actions the better.  

To decribe his life being cut short "through personal problems" as it is above is pretty crass to say the least.

I have not forgotten what he did and certainly do not condone it but I was trying to put it nicely. Noone will know for certain what drove him to do it and what effect it has had on his children and his wife's family and friends and it is certainly not for me to say but obviously he must have had 'problems' to resort to these tragic actions. I was not intending to be crass or offend anyone but he must have been a very desperate man.

Here we go again. :roll:

Just like years ago, Kenny Carter always provokes a reaction.

It does seem to be very difficult in some cases to remember its a speedway list...

Having stopped watching in 1971, I seem to have missed out here and thankfully, judging by some of the posts! :?

I think i'll aviod this thread! :-o

As Falcace says, Kenny Carter always provokes a reaction, and that being the case I don't see why people should avoid discussions about him. Sure, it's a speedway board, but, whatever he did, Kenny Carter was a speedway rider and his life and death had a big impact on anyone who was around at the time.

In all my time as a speedway supporter I can think of only 3 occasions when the sport has made the front page of the national newspapers. One was Peter Collins winning the World Championship, another was a bizarre race fixing 'scandal' reported in the Sunday People (eg, did you know the Bruce Penhall only won the 1981 World Championship because Jiri Stancl let him beat him in his final race?). The third time was the Kenny Carter incident. It was a big story and I see no reason to avoid it.

At the end of the day this is a 'SPEEDWAY FORUM' so why not just talk about KC's speedway career and not his private life which should be left alone.