Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Main Man

Under 15 Round 3 --weymouth . Sat 13th June

The winner was Ashley Morris (my stepson) and it was great to win one at last after the first 2 rounds were he was one if not the best riders, he was over the moon to come first out of 5

The winner was Ashley Morris (my stepson) and it was great to win one at last after the first 2 rounds were he was one if not the best riders, he was over the moon to come first out of 5

Winning is great and i pleased for Ashley but jumping up and down because your kid comes 4th out of 5 is hardly exciting :lol: :lol:

Jolly roger? :rolleyes: you dont sound very jolly to me? I'm the father of young Adam Kirby and if i want to get excited about my son reaching the final then i will do.

I dont know you or if you have ever riden a speedway bike before, but this is adams first year of competitive racing and after what happened to adam in his first heat when he totally flipped his bike on the start line, then i would have understood if adam went out in his remaining races and just pottered round. He didnt do this to his credit and he won his semi-final to reach the final.

Yes ok he came 4th in the final but he still had to ride his bike to do this and seeing as he had 3 rides without much of a break (heat 18,semi-final then final) then i hope even someone like you can understand why i was so pleased for him and what he achieved?

If thats not enough for you just have a look at the standings after the newport round and you will see that adam was down in =7th place so reaching the final at weymouth would have been a massive confidence booster for him so i would rather not have idiots coming on here and knockin him down again? One other thing you should think about and that is adam is only just 14 and rides on average once a fortnite because of my work comitments where some other youngsters, and i'm not having a moan about it, are riding sometimes riding twice/three times a week?.

As always Great Central your almost uniquely held serious concern about the lack of youngsters is correct and it would seem that this has aroused the attention of the powers that be and I quote below an important announcement copied from the BSPA official website which needs maximum publicity.

There are far too many foregners in the sport at present and this seems to be seeping into the National League which must be protected from the over use of anyone who will not be eligible or willing to race for Great Britain if required.

I hope that this scheme is successful and I am pleased that it is taking place. I hope that it is the forerunner of many more opportunities from cities as far apart as Glasgow and Plymouth.

For the longer term I intend to do all that I can to help the cause of younger riders in the National League as and where this is practicable at National League Administrative Meetings/AGM's etc and we must all try and improve the opportunities available for new riders. Without a massive influx of youngsters we will not have growth and that is essential to also grow our public support generally. At Buxton yesterday I was looking at the number of people who were at Stoke the previous evening, We must get more people and give them even better entertainment. The rush of some to get home on match amazes me I would be happy to reman at Scunthorpe until midnight after a match to gain a new rider.

Malcolm Vasey

Malcolm,

You have indeed made me feel quite honoured that my concern about my lack of British youngsters even warrants a comment from the great man himself. Only joking Malcolm. You know my views fully, and you and I do share that passion to see youngsters develop, with you actually being able to do more about it than me.

This latest initiative has to be welcomed but it really is only half the story. There has to be a concerted effort by all promoters to run an organised programmed second half which runs every week with the exception of accidents/bad weather. I can only speak from experience, so apologies to any promoters that I don't mention due to lack of knowledege only, but Boston/Kings Lynn, Rye House and Scunthorpe fall into the category of running a full session come what may. Scunthorpe have shown that you can run 30 heats in under 3 hours so there is no excuse for any promoter not to run a second half even with curfews. That will generate more interest from youngsters and the latest initiatives about free admission for children is most welcome. Now get them to stop behind and see their mates, older kids riding and we may pull in a few more potential riders.

I note that Neil 777 commented that Dan Greenwood retired for personal reasons and he may know more of his circumstances than me but I know one of the complaints that his Dad had was driving to second halfs only to be told that they had run out of time, or just running one race. Malcolm, you were and still are appreciative of the time and money spent by parents, friends etc driving for second halfs and the least you could offer was proper racing. If only more thought like you.

I'm rambling and people will think I am a member of your fan club, but going back to the initiative from the BSPA, it has to be followed up by on going support. It is not easy for a rider to get organised for two or three meetings per week, and even more so if they have a job or are at school, but what about the parents, helpers friends juggling this with a full time job. What do the riders need to do to get fit, keep fit, keep the machinery up to scratch and keep motivated on the long drives between meetings. How do they get their form back when the going gets tough - who is there to help them? How many meetings should they do to avoid being burnt out at 15 or sixteen.

This is the type of help that is needed to halt the drop out rate that has existed but let's not knock the latest offering from the BSPA.

Finally, to anyone wishing to read this, please do not take any comments I make about the lack of British youngsters as criticism of the riders on display at the U15, STR, Dragons meetings or second halfs since they all deserve praise and support. There are some good riders coming through but my point is that there should be more than there are.

Martin Widman

I just fail to see how any Dad can get excited about his Son finishing 4th out of 5

It's a shame really that you can't understand how a dad can be proud of a son who shows such commitment to a sport he loves, but I bet every parent who was there on Saturday can, regardless of when their meeting ended.

Adam gets very little practice racing but has given his all at Newport and Weymouth even when racing against people who are regularly riding in the National League. He had a terrifying start in heat 2 when he flipped his bike and narrowly avoided being involved in the crash in heat 5.

All sports people have to start somewhere, generally at the bottom and it is the pride and support their friends and family give that help them become stars. Comments like yours will not help resolve the problems speedway is having attracting youngsters to the sport. A very wise woman instilled into me a very apt phrase "If you can't say something nice, say nothing".

Thank you to 771Neil and HalifaxTiger for the positive comments.

Moosetash64, everyone one is allowed to celebrate every little milestone in speedway, to flip a bike at the start of a race and to then carry on with the thought in the back of your mind that it could happen again at every start you do takes courage (or as one ex-rider told us "your brains left in your toolbox") All the lads out there have a lot more courage than most people on here slaging them off. I take my hat off to each and everyone of them. One day one of these socalled "wobblers" ( I hate that term with a passion as all riders had to learn) could be our next greatest speedway hope. I hope that yourself and Adam don't let it get you down enjoy your latest achievement, I know we did. Also hope that Kyle and Daryl have recovered from their accident.

You will find below a Quote from a Letter sent by # Name Removed # to all U15 competitors:-

Far be it for me to give you words of advice as far as riding a bike is concerned, but some words of wisdom I would like to share with you are these - "The minute you stop trying to succeed, is the minute you will start to fail."

You all have a great talent, for it is not an easy thing to ride Speedway. and however good or bad, you might think you are at the moment, there will be room for improvement.

For some it will take a lot longer than others, but you all have the capability, the ambition and the courage to race, so don't give up.

We all want to see more British World Champions lift that most sought after prize in the sport, and, who knows, it could well be one of you guys one day.

Well done on your achievements so far, and the best of luck in the rest of the competition.

# Name Removed #.

David is a man that we have spoken to and understands the commitment (monetary and time wise in the hope that things go right for your son or daughter for an amazing career/life to develop) by parents and families, a great man who is full of praise for any rider "however good or bad".

Keep it up all the U15 riders it's been a great series with good racing, we're really enjoying our time involved in it. :lol::lol:

I would also like to say there may have only been 7 riders at the start and 5 at the finish, but all 7 riders rode their hearts out regardless of where they came, as did the riders of the 250's. All the people that turned up to give their support to the lads wouldn't have gone home disappointed? I believe this by the applause all the riders got at the end of each and every race!

I must also add that it was a delight to see how supportive each rider was towards each other by way of praising and congratulating them after thier races.

Good luck to all riders in both the 250 & 500 classes in the remaining rounds and dont let people who leave negative comments get to you!!!!

Hope both kyle and daryl make a speedy recovery?.

Well done to one and all. Wish I could have been in two places at the same time but with the Wasps on a northern tour had to miss out on the 3rd round on Saturday.

Congratulations to Ashley on his win in the 500's and Robert in the 250's ==== but well done to one and all who took part and it is a great pity not all the lads completed the meeting. I spoke to Daryl Ritchings dad tonight and he is battered and bruised but after a short rest will be back on his bike and giving it his all.

I cannot believe someone has had a go at Adam Kirby's dad , Paul, for being proud and celebrating Adam's riding . I know them well and gave Adam his first rides at Mildenhall last year and he progressed so much in a short space of time ...well done Adam.

I heard that they were all ready and waiting to get out on track for each race ---well trained these lads are already!! :wink:

I have tried to run second halves at most Newport meetings this year and will continue to do so and the 250 lads and under 15's will always be welcome to take part ----they all need track time and as many laps as possible along with help, guidance and encouragement and like Malcolm says even if we are still there at midnight bringing on young British talent it is worth it.

Roll on round 4 on July 25th at Buxton !! :approve:

I just fail to see how any Dad can get excited about his Son finishing 4th out of 5

And i bet your Dad is proud of you, picking on kids on an internet forum.

Your attitude is poor mate, you should take a good look at yourself if you take enjoyment from upsetting others. What can you possibly get from posting something like that where you know the kid and his family will read it? Keep your ignorant views to yourself.

I rode when i was Adam's age, i was never as good as these lads but me and my Dad enjoyed every second of it. He would regularly drive us to Long Eaton after work on a Wednesday night, sometimes just to get 4 laps, we didn't get home until the early hours and he was back at work at 6 am.

The parents of these lads put so much into it, they deserve to celebrate their achievements and don't need miserable sods like you spoiling it.

Keep going for it Adam, don't let anyone spoil your enjoyment.

Well said deanr1 and thanks jollyrodger after all the heart acre ashley has had at these meeting he finally wins one and you turn the posting into a slagging match instead of a positive thread as been said before hope your dads proud.

neil ,, you deserve some credit to m8 ,, you've passed on your experience ,, given your time & no doubt shed loads of cash for ash to follow his dreams ,,,, he's a good kid who just keeps getting better & better ,, just like the rest of the young lads we often see at scunny ripping it up ,,

if you want to see wobblers ,, come and watch me and my pal's in the support class at scunny :lol:

but i dont care what folk say about me ,, im big enough and ugly enough to left hook anyone brave enough to say it to my face ,,,, its my hobby & i love it ,,, it takes big balls to keep the throttle open for 4 laps ,,, luck for me i have another use for mine :wink: so i do wobble around ,, but at least im having a go & my money helps keep these clubs going

hope these young lads who get slagged off take no notice , its not worth the effort

keep up the good work neil

If all a person can do is come on the site and have a go at a joung lad having a go in a sport that would scare most people to even try, then he as a very sad life, i watch these young lads at the sba in Plymouth, i think they are brilliant, Ben Morley when he came down with Rye House, was a joy to watch, so dont knock any of them.

Edited by Roger MARTIN

Well done to all those who are taking part in the Under 15's Championship and I can't wait for the Isle of Wight leg. I am a reasonably new speedway fan and have started attending Swindon meetings (Kings Lynn when i'm visiting family) and there was no less excitement at Weymouth than there is at these meetings. If you get the chance to go to one of these Under 15's meetings I would recommend it.

Well done to Ashley and Robert on winning and everyone else for a great day out.

Just a passing thought. Was Darcy Ward's 3rd places for Belle Vue against Coventry nothing to be proud of? After all there were only 4 riders in his races, but I bet he was pleased and shockingly he 'only' achieved 4th in Heat 15. Shame on him, I think not :wink:

And i bet your Dad is proud of you, picking on kids on an internet forum.

Read my original post very slowly :rolleyes: i was not picking on any kid just commenting on a Dad who gets excited

because his Son comes 4th in the final.

I remember one Under 15 Champion who never collected any trophy other than the winners .

I wish all kids taking part in this event the very best of luck and stay safe but having seen many a Dad living his dream in junior speedway i find your comments really funny :shock:

Sadly my Dad passed away many years ago,but yes he was proud of me in my Football achievments

Yes we did read your comment carefully,you hit the nail on the head your dad was proud of you playing football,did you play for man utd,liverpool,newcastle no i think not but he was still proud of every kick you made. How many matches have been won by own goals should they have never celebrated a win.As far as you commenting on parents living there dreams through juniour speedway,most would disagree or be affended, i enjoyed doing stock car racing and gave adam the choice to do it ,but he wanted to do speedway so i gave it up. As a good parent you help them fullfill there own dreams and your proud of them whatever they achieve nomatter how small or big.Adam said himself his goal this year was to just reach the semis because there is so many good riders in the under 15s ,which he managed to do and all of them battled for the first place, so to actually make it to the finals was a great achievement .this is all the comments were going to make because your not worth it .We would like to take this opportunity to congratulate ashl and robert on winning there respective finals you both deserved it and ALL other riders who made it such a good day,and dont you think this is what we should be talking about.