British Speedway Forum
johnb

Riders Who Never Made It?

At still only 18 years of age a bit premature to be featuring him in this kind of thread.

Beat me to it there Spin!

Magnus Karlsson was named here. I feel that is harsh. He suffered from high expectations due to the success of his older brothers. A solid PL man I think. Another name:

Ben Shields

Charlie won the Internationale at Wimbledon in 65 , and in that class of field ,usually better than a world Final, that makes him World Class

Maybe so . But for whatever reason , Charlie never rode in a World Final . A fact i find incredible as he was a high class rider .

Just thought of another rider, who in my opinion never lived up to expectations (well at BV anyway!!). Andy Campbell, pretty sure he cost Bamford a few quid as well. Looking at a few of the previous posts, i feel people have mistaken riders who never made it? With riders who never fulfilled there potential? There is a difference, for example Kelly Moran probably didnt fulfil his true potential, but to say he never made it is riddiculous, considering he rode in a few world finals, and won two world team cups. I consider any rider who has ridden in a world final, as having made it.

Maybe so . But for whatever reason , Charlie never rode in a World Final . A fact i find incredible as he was a high class rider .

I think Charlie's problem was that his career was too short. Also, I don't think he was a spring chicken when he first appeared in the UK.

Rusty Harrison for me could of went a lot higher in his career than he did. So much talent on a bike 

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2009 at 11:59 PM, mervjankefanclub said:

Phil Collins, the most naturally gifted of all the Collins', according to his brothers.

that depends on what you read and where you read it i suppose . i've definitely seen peter quoted as saying stephen was the most natural on a bike out of all of them.

some of the riders being named a little unfairly as big injuries to some of them clearly took it's toll . don't have the history or the memory of most of you but the two that stick out for me are eddie kennett and lewis bridger .  i believe kennett came to newport with the rockets and the raiders in a double header and scored a max in both meetings and lewis was nearly unbeatable home or away for weymouth in his first year . as a certain comentator probably said at the time  "future world champions". 

37 minutes ago, gee jay said:

some of the riders being named a little unfairly as big injuries to some of them clearly took it's toll . don't have the history or the memory of most of you but the two that stick out for me are eddie kennett and lewis bridger .  i believe kennett came to newport with the rockets and the raiders in a double header and scored a max in both meetings and lewis was nearly unbeatable home or away for weymouth in his first year . as a certain comentator probably said at the time  "future world champions". 

There have been a good few "future world champions" in the GB ranks over the years hasn't there?:rolleyes:

One rider who I felt had a chance of going quite far was Richard Musson. I used to watch him at BV and think he had a good chance to make it as he seemed to be not much behind the level of Screen and Stonehewer..

I stopped going around 94 ish so lost track of how he did..

2 hours ago, gee jay said:

agree regarding Bridger ,total waste of talent.

There's some strange suggestions in here - Phil Collins I would say definitely made it - caps for England, and reached a World Final, Eddie Kennett has also done fairly well.  It is fair to say with him, Josh Auty etc. that they haven't done as well as was first thought, but IMO this category is the likes of Richard Musson, Adrian Stevens, Chris Cobby, etc. 

Mel Taylor rode League speedway from 1977 through to 1992, only stopping when Mildenhall closed mid season and he turned down a move to top flight Coventry!

He rode a number of seasons in the top flight, made a couple of British finals in the days when their was 3 times as many more quality British riders than present times and was for most of his time in the 2nd tier a heatleader. While he promised more, to say he didn't make is a little bit harsh!

Phil Collins like the above poster says rode in a World Final and was a top flight heatleader who no doubt made a decent living. Again while he promised more he done more than OK!

Ed Kennett's been a decent League rider but lacks the focus to fully utilise his talents.

Lewis Bridger was very talented but fell into the trap of being that talented he took it for granted and maybe over enjoyed his talent by riding like a bucking bronco instead of being steady!

Richard Musson didn't go nowhere near as far as his talent could have taken him. didn't he meet an unfortunate end?

Adrian Stevens had potential but didn't go far.

Cobby could ride as well but probably didn't have the focus.

Every rider only goes as far as their mindset and circumstances allow. How many 16 year old riders have we seen that have been labelled as future World Champions and get nowhere near?