British Speedway Forum
johnb

Riders Who Never Made It?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

Mel Taylor rode League speedway from 1977 through to 1992, only stopping when Mildenhall closed mid season and he turned down a move to top flight Coventry!

He rode a number of seasons in the top flight, made a couple of British finals in the days when their was 3 times as many more quality British riders than present times and was for most of his time in the 2nd tier a heatleader. While he promised more, to say he didn't make is a little bit harsh!

Phil Collins like the above poster says rode in a World Final and was a top flight heatleader who no doubt made a decent living. Again while he promised more he done more than OK!

Ed Kennett's been a decent League rider but lacks the focus to fully utilise his talents.

Lewis Bridger was very talented but fell into the trap of being that talented he took it for granted and maybe over enjoyed his talent by riding like a bucking bronco instead of being steady!

Richard Musson didn't go nowhere near as far as his talent could have taken him. didn't he meet an unfortunate end?

Adrian Stevens had potential but didn't go far.

Cobby could ride as well but probably didn't have the focus.

Every rider only goes as far as their mindset and circumstances allow. How many 16 year old riders have we seen that have been labelled as future World Champions and get nowhere near?

I was a fan of Mel Taylor having seen him progress thru' Mildenhall before eventually joining Oxford in !984. He had a pretty good year at Cowley before a broken arm set him back. I believe he had personal issues in 1985 which affected his form and he was allowed to re-join the Fen Tigers and his form started to pick up again. A very stylish and accomplished rider.

Edited by steve roberts

I remember Mel Taylor riding exhibition races at Mildenhall when under 16. He soon got the hang of League racing when h become 16 in 1977.

He was also a decent servant to King's Lynn for about 4 seasons in the early 80's!

A very stylish rider who was very unassuming, a nice quality for someone with his talent!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, gee jay said:

some of the riders being named a little unfairly as big injuries to some of them clearly took it's toll . don't have the history or the memory of most of you but the two that stick out for me are eddie kennett and lewis bridger .  i believe kennett came to newport with the rockets and the raiders in a double header and scored a max in both meetings and lewis was nearly unbeatable home or away for weymouth in his first year . as a certain comentator probably said at the time  "future world champions". 

Eddie Kennett's biggest problem is that he has no track craft at all. If he's behind someone, at any track with any type of conditions he will give it a hand full of throttle and try and blast around the outside. Sometimes it works but often results in him going backwards.

4 hours ago, Najjer said:

Eddie Kennett's biggest problem is that he has no track craft at all. If he's behind someone, at any track with any type of conditions he will give it a hand full of throttle and try and blast around the outside. Sometimes it works but often results in him going backwards.

Which is a real shame and altough I've never seen Eddie ride I was very familiar with the expolits of his father (David) and uncles (Gordon and Barney) who all had an abundance of track craft.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:43 PM, 25yearfan said:

Mel Taylor rode League speedway from 1977 through to 1992, only stopping when Mildenhall closed mid season and he turned down a move to top flight Coventry!

He rode a number of seasons in the top flight, made a couple of British finals in the days when their was 3 times as many more quality British riders than present times and was for most of his time in the 2nd tier a heatleader. While he promised more, to say he didn't make is a little bit harsh!

Phil Collins like the above poster says rode in a World Final and was a top flight heatleader who no doubt made a decent living. Again while he promised more he done more than OK!

Ed Kennett's been a decent League rider but lacks the focus to fully utilise his talents.

Lewis Bridger was very talented but fell into the trap of being that talented he took it for granted and maybe over enjoyed his talent by riding like a bucking bronco instead of being steady!

Richard Musson didn't go nowhere near as far as his talent could have taken him. didn't he meet an unfortunate end?

Adrian Stevens had potential but didn't go far.

Cobby could ride as well but probably didn't have the focus.

Every rider only goes as far as their mindset and circumstances allow. How many 16 year old riders have we seen that have been labelled as future World Champions and get nowhere near?

I think I saw a Facebook entry the other day, by the Musson family, asking for any information on Richard who apparently is still missing after 8 years.

1 hour ago, Triple.H. said:

Had Go Slow Ears

... Which obviously prevented him from being a GP rider, a world finalist, and a WTC winner...

Steve

9 hours ago, chunky said:

... Which obviously prevented him from being a GP rider, a world finalist, and a WTC winner...

Steve

I remembered him making a world final , but didn’t know he had a year in the GP’s. 

did he qualify for the GP or did he get a wild card? 

5 hours ago, TRM said:

I remembered him making a world final , but didn’t know he had a year in the GP’s. 

did he qualify for the GP or did he get a wild card? 

Looking back, I can't remember the qualification process for the inaugural GP season, but I am sure they didn't have permanent wild cards like they do now.

He didn't have a great year, but still, for a rider who "never made it"...

Steve

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chunky said:

Looking back, I can't remember the qualification process for the inaugural GP season, but I am sure they didn't have permanent wild cards like they do now.

He didn't have a great year, but still, for a rider who "never made it"...

Steve

Funny but there were some riders that I just didn't rate...and not based upon any reasoning...and Josh Larsen was one of them although, to be fair, he would be one of quite an extensive list!

Edited by steve roberts

35 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Funny but there were some riders that I just didn't rate...and not based upon any reasoning...and Josh Larsen was one of them although, to be fair, he would be one of quite an extensive list!

Very definately a very small track rider.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Then again, there were riders who came to this country on the backs of reports suggesting that they would go on to great things but faded away without ever making any kind of impact. Remember Arthur Malm at Edinburgh, Otto Holoubek  at Ipswich, Mark Cherry at Birmingham, or from further back, Bill Jemison also at Birmingham. 

Pretty sure that there were plenty more like these.

Edited by brianbuck
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Then again, there were riders who came to this country on the backs of reports suggesting that they would go on to great things but faded away without ever making any king of impact. Remember Arthur Malm at Edinburgh, Otto Holoubek  at Ipswich, Mark Cherry at Birmingham, or from further back, Bill Jemison also at Birmingham. 

Pretty sure that there were plenty more like these.

...Steve Culombo of Birmingham and later Eastbourne. Keith Christo (Birmingham) and Chris Mancester (Belle Vue naturally ) who for a couple of years showed great potential  and improved dramatically but it all started to go downhill for him and I recall him struggling before disappearing back to the States.

On 1/2/2019 at 7:54 PM, 25yearfan said:

I remember Mel Taylor riding exhibition races at Mildenhall when under 16. He soon got the hang of League racing when h become 16 in 1977.

He was also a decent servant to King's Lynn for about 4 seasons in the early 80's!

A very stylish rider who was very unassuming, a nice quality for someone with his talent!

Defiantly Melvyn made it, he was a very classy stylist rider. I think speedway was job that he enjoyed doing & he was good at!  I meet up with Melvyn last year, he still looked fit & still has his boyish looks could pass for a 35 year old. Please remember there was a lot more talent about in Mel's day & there can only be one World Champion or British Champion per year..............  

• Like 1