British Speedway Forum
johnb

Riders Who Never Made It?

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Marcin spent a lot of his Polish career being a bit part rider,Berwick wanted him ,but his Polish Club were paying him good money and hardly used him. Very good rider though.

Similar to Kujawa in that hes most famous for his world cup exploits , whereas Kujawa was only famous for being a world under 21 champion.

It still baffles me to this day how you can win the world under 21 title , on a new track , look absolutely superb yet be absolutely awful 99.99 percent of the rest of the time. We signed him in 2004, two and a half years after he won the title at Peterborough beating the likes of Stead, Hampel, Dryml, and he could barely even turn the bike. Amazing really. 

If I recall he won the title in 2002 with a steady performance scoring twelve, something like 23232 and benefitting from others dropping points to each other.....can remember Luke’s Dryml and Rafal something beginning with O and ending in ski being on the rostrum too and dropping silly points. Certainly an unexpected and unspectacular winner from memory. 

Riders Who Never Made It? ==

every rider who never won the World Championship IMO!

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Finn Jensen. 

A real enigma...recall him scoring 17 points for Birmingham against, I think, Eastbourne? He then probably failed to score in his next match!

15 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

If I recall he won the title in 2002 with a steady performance scoring twelve, something like 23232 and benefitting from others dropping points to each other.....can remember Luke’s Dryml and Rafal something beginning with O and ending in ski being on the rostrum too and dropping silly points. Certainly an unexpected and unspectacular winner from memory. 

It was 2001 he won it. Steady performance or not , he won the meeting against some top riders at the time. 

14 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Finn Jensen. 

He's the reason a lot of Brum fans went prematurely bald. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pinny said:

It was 2001 he won it. Steady performance or not , he won the meeting against some top riders at the time. 

Only a year out, not bad!

He certainly did, not his fault how others performed, he won it fair and square. And over twenty heats without semis and a final which in a one off meeting is much fairer. 

• Like 1

It's interesting to note that the originator of this IMO badly titled thread last visited the BSF in 2012. Time seemingly marches on?

14 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Only a year out, not bad!

He certainly did, not his fault how others performed, he won it fair and square. And over twenty heats without semis and a final which in a one off meeting is much fairer. 

The perfect formula.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2020 at 4:09 AM, steve roberts said:

The perfect formula.

Apparently, it's not what the public want these days, though...

For me, a GP season with regular 20-heat meetings, and all points counting, would be fine - and very easy to follow.

If you get most points on the night, you win the GP.

If you get most points over the season, you win the World Championship.

On 7/26/2009 at 5:12 PM, Ian said:

I think Charlie's problem was that his career was too short. Also, I don't think he was a spring chicken when he first appeared in the UK.

Charlie rode in the UK for 13 seasons - that is hardly a short career.
It would seem that he was bound for the World Final in 1965 having been unbeaten in every round up until the British Final and with 6 riders qualifying for the World Final many would have had Charlie down as a cert. However the meeting was delayed by rain and Charlie was beaten in his 2nd ride He went into his final ride in ht 20 on 8pts  He was in 2nd place when he was excluded. and missed out.
Ironically Charlie was excluded for 'knocking off' home favourite Ken McKinlay but that decision was over turned weeks later but there was no time to rerun the meeting and Charlie missed out on his big final

Edited by cinderfella
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Apparently, it's not what the public want these days, though...

For me, a GP season with regular 20-heat meetings, and all points counting, would be fine - and very easy to follow.

If you get most points on the night, you win the GP.

If you get most points over the season, you win the World Championship.

Yes it seems that there is/was this obsession of having a 'Grand Final' to decide who ultimately ends up champion on the night after a twenty heat Individual meeting.

Edited by steve roberts

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes it seems that there is this obsession of having a 'Grand Final' to decide who ultimately ends up champion on the night.

How often have we seen a rider go through his 5 programmed rides unbeaten then lose in a final? (Ex Richie Worrall at PLRC at Glasgow a few years ago)
Never liked meetings with 2nd chance saloon.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 10:07 AM, gustix said:

It's interesting to note that the originator of this IMO badly titled thread last visited the BSF in 2012. Time seemingly marches on?

On the other hand others seem to turn up like a bad penny. And on the other hand I think the title of the thread is quite ok :rolleyes:

• Like 1