British Speedway Forum
Bee

The Direction That Speedway Needs To Take In The U.k.

The direction that Speedway needs to take in the U.K.

There have been numerous times, especially in the 90's onwards when the BSPA have realised that 'changes' were needed to rekindle interest on the terraces, and attempt to bring Speedway up to date, and more media friendly.

But, nothing really major has happened to the sport since the divides of the old National League and Provincial League came to a head in 1964, resulting in the foundation of the British League as was, with the two leagues joining together.

Those early years in the British League worked wonders. A single strong League featuring around 19 teams. 13 heats, Tactical Substitutes, Reserve rides, and yes! Even set guidelines for 'guests' and rider replacement.

The was no points limit. Instead we had the SCB and BSPA allocate certain moves of riders between teams in the winters, to try and make it a 'level playing field' for every team come March. ( Not always by any means a popular method of team strength's, with it flaws. But, then again the current system is just as unpopular, and flawed.)

We experienced a boom then from 65 through until the end of the 80's I'd say.

We had 19 teams and a second half where most tracks had a host of youngsters every year trying to make a break through into the main team.

So much so, that the boom continued in 1968 when the British League formed a second division. Mainly consisting of teams from existing clubs juniors, and a few new tracks that wanted racing. The Second Division had its problems eventually as well, with teams wanting their independence, and not acting as a organised training field for other teams youngsters. Understandable to a degree. Although I always felt it was good to see these teams take on and bring through the riders that were to become stars! - Always seemed to be more waiting in the wings to follow through as well.

Put your thinking caps on! Many British League Stars of the 70's came through the Second Division in those formalitive years of the Second Division. Coventry had the likes of Lomas, Harrhy, Bailey, Carter, all of which made the top league in those first couple of years of the British League Division Two. There were many other names as well....Wyer, Reg Wilson, Jessup, Kennett, Davis, Collins, Lee, Barry Thomas.....

I think that the old adage 'you have never had it so good' comes to mind. As well as 'If it ain't broke don't fix it.'

It was definitely a boom period for the sport. However, as I said some of the 'new' tracks with 'new promotions' wanted independence, and wanted rights on contracts with the riders they had. Again, understandable from a business prospective.

So the British League Division Two formed its own Management Committee, and the NEW National League came into force as a competition. Took a couple of years for them to finally drop the 'NEW' part and just be the National League :)

Eventually after a long period the sport was in decline again. The SCB and BSPA formed the Elite League and Premier League from the clubs remaining. It gave the sport a short boost.

Further changes took place in the last 15 years or so. The race formula of 13 heats was scrapped. Points Limits were applied. They even tried 6 man teams, amalgamating into just one league at one point. Some teams folded, some teams dropped down, one or two moved up etc. We lost some of the real 'showmen' on the promotion side of the sport over those years as well. (But, that is another subject almost) -

The fun went out of the sport, and everyone became too serious! - I remember hundreds of on and off track incidents, and characters in the sport, that nowadays would be fined, and banned for bring the sport into disrepute. Instead of allowing the odd 'handbags at five paces' scuffles that added to the entertainment value! (Another topic maybe)

The tactical substitute rules were changed and tampered with. Eventually bringing in the almost child like ('its a knockout") Golden Double, and now with a 15m handicap as well.

Far to restrictive compared to the tried and tested, and workable system of replacing any out of form rider, with another, on one occasion per rider, when you were 6 points or more down after heat 4....Why on earth did they change that?

The rules kept being changed, adjusted, and tweaked. We the paying fans were told that it was to make Speedway more entertaining and matches more competitive. Bah! Humbug.....It just made things worse, and harder for 'new' fans to understand what the hell was going on....

(Yes, it makes me angry to think about the mess the SCB and BSPA have made of the Sport)

The problems of rising costs, and falling crowds though have continued. Only the other day I learnt from an interview on archive with Chris Harris prior to the 2007 season that he had invested 70k in equipment and had EIGHT bikes!!! 5 for Europe, and 3 for the UK.

That is some very serious money. I recall times when riders were lucky to have two bikes, and a spare engine or two. I'd hate to think what would have happened to the sport if riders of the 60's/70's had to have EIGHT BIKES and spend the equivalent amount of money to start a season. It is little wonder then that the sport is struggling financially.

I know also that we have ECC regulations.

However, add in the factor that there are more overseas riders than ever in the UK with flights, accommodation, and transportation bills that have to be met by the club, and again that adds to the financial mess.

The National League was originally open to British Riders only. (That included commonwealth Countries like Australia and New Zealand) Now, the flood gates are open as such, and the Premier League is full of riders from all Nations.

I would not say 'ban' the foreign riders. I would though say that clubs should make it a clear requirement that the rider is paid a contract fee, that includes a signing on fee, commission based wages, as is. With pay for number of rides, and pay per point scored. Basic travel expenses can be covered as well but only from his UK Club base to the track he is racing at! No airfares! No additional payments. A salary cap if you like.

This may well reduce costs, and in doing so reduce the 'quality of the product' on show. But, factor in anyway, that the points limit has been reducing the 'quality' for some years now.

That way you could say, your welcome to come and ride in the UK for (insert your team here) but you are going to have to reside in the area during the season. Or! Cover your own additional transportation, and flights.

Probably impossible to consider. But, there you go.

I think we need to edge away from a 'professional' sport a little and get back to basics, and bring back the 'amateur' ways, where riders were usually local. Did Speedway more as a hobby, and for the fun, with an outside job as well. Riders can still get sponsorship of course.

Maybe it would be too much of a backward step.

The way ahead.

We may very well be at a big transitional stage again with the sport. We need all the promoters from both Leagues to come together again as they did in '64/65. I don't see any other way of survival.

I don't think we should 'amalgamate' the two Leagues in 2010. Use the whole winter, and 2010 to come up with a clear and defined product, and rules and regulations. Have maybe a independent body govern the sport once everything is set in place.

Elite League. - Continue with an Elite League for those that want that, and the TV audiences etc. Raise any points limit restrictions, or rider control to a more realistic level. I often feel like the limit should be set to the strength of the previous seasons champions, so at least they have the chance to defend the title with the same team, and the other clubs will get a bigger crowd when the champions are in town. The other clubs will then be in a position to try to match the Champions.

No mid season changes of the points limits. Teams can only bring in another rider up to, but not above the rider he is replacing average. Add to that maybe the riders he is replacing starting average in March.

The Elite League to be staged over 1 home and 1 away match not the two against each team as it is now. Thus reducing costs, and freeing up riders to concentrate on their other commitments overseas to. ( Grand Prix or Leagues) We in the UK could still then see the 'superstars' even if it were to be less often.

The play-off's would take place mid August, to it's conclusion in mid September. Along with an Elite League KO cup that would be a minimum of 9 home meetings and 9 away meetings a season. With progress via the play-off's or Cup adding up to maybe 4 additional home and away matches.

The Premier League. All Elite League Teams would have a Premier League side as well. Clearly they would not be able to use their 'star' names and the team would consist of their Elite League riders #4-7 with three juniors.

Some form of calculation would have to be set to allow the EL riders averages to take into account the moved down. But, as an example the Coventry Premier League team may look something like this....

EG - Coventry Premier League

Olly Allen

Ben Barker

Jordan Frampton

Filip Sitera

Ricky Wells

Josh Auty

A.N.Other

A.N. Other

Too me that would be about the level to work to. The #7 and #8 would be about the 3.00 average standard.

The 14 current Premier League Teams would merge with the 9 Elite League Teams. Making a total of 23 clubs. Add 1 for a new team if there could be found one from the National/Conference League like Weymouth, Plymouth or Mildenhall for example.

With 23 or 24 clubs the Premier League could be split into either :

Premier League Division One featuring the 9 Elite League teams squads and with the top three from the Current Premier League. Belle Vue, Coventry, Swindon, Eastbourne, Peterborough,Wolverhampton, Lakeside, Poole, Ipswich, and the top three from the Premier League at the end of season 2010.

(Remember we are looking at the powers that be, take the whole of this winter and 2010 to get everything set up and ready.)

Premier League Division Two would feature the remaining 11 or 12 teams.

Again each team would face each other ONCE home and away. With a Cup competition, and the Craven/Parker Shields as well. -

In addition at the end of the season the top 4 from each division could go into a play-off system, with promotion and relegation between the two divisions. ( Additional bonus of elevation or play off for promotion to the Elite League status if an non Elite League team wins the Division One title.

Two leagues would then involve a minimum of 12 home matches including the Cup and 1 additional (minimum) for the Craven/Parker Shield.

Any open dates can be filled if not in Elite League action by regional cup competitions or open invitation meetings and of course the BSPA shared events super seven series.

Alternatively :

The 23/24 teams could go into two REGIONAL DIVISIONS (North & South) with play offs between the top teams in the North and South at the end of the season.

Again, this is just an example and a look at direction the sport could go in.....Not that it will. Just some ideas.

Of course there would be issues of equaling out the riders averages so everyone is set at same standard and then what, and how any team average limits or rider control would work, and be enforced.

An independent governing body would settle all issues regards to the rules, protests and disputes. They would also have some authority to 'help' or give clubs 'special dispensation' should they find themselves cripple with injuries, as happens on occasions. Guests though not great idea, should be allowed until a signing up to or equal to that of the injured rider is found for the club.

Wonder if their are other ideas out there :)

Edited by Bee

Bee you have written a very worthwhile article on the way ahead for speedway I do hope some of the powers to be take note of your comments

Totally agree A30. Makes a lot of sense does our Bee.

As you say, hope the powers that be take some notice of fans that suggest things that could well work out for British speedway.

Edited by tomcat

Must be something sensible in the water at Brandon - I wrote this is December:

I was flicking through the Star last week, reading the sundry comments about how these big Elite stars are unhappy about the fixture congestion, and lack of a regular racenight, blah blah blah, and I got to thinking, "how could this be sorted?" My addled-mind came up with this...

You have an Elite League A, and Elite League B. Elite League A will be home & away against the other 8 teams in the league, with the following restrictions: no upper points limit, a lower limit of, say, 35 points, and no more than 3 GP riders per team. Elite League B would have no more than one GP rider per team (if any), an upper points limit of 40 points, and would be raced primarily on GP weekends.

Taking Coventry for example, their Elite League A team could comprise Harris, Nicholls, Jonsson, Schlein, Allen, Barker & Janniro (all, of course, their own assets). Their Elite League B team could be Schlein, Allen, Janniro, Barker, Sitera, Auty & Roynon.

If you also remove the pointless Craven Shield, two or three of the more ambitious Premier League sides could also enter teams in the Elite League B.

Is it radical? Yes. Is it crazy and unworkable? I don't know :/

• Like 1

Not much tp disagree with here; I would certainly like to see the re-introduction of a proper tac sub facility giving team managers more to think about & I'm not sure I would restrict the Premier Laegue to second strings and below. If a rider would prefer to remain in the UK rather than chase the money on the continent and race for both his clubs sides then I can only see that as a benefit, especially as he is likley to be quite a drawcard in the division below.

Good ideas... however some tracks, such as Coventry have limited track availiabilty due to greyhounds.... how would this fit in?

I have been going on about this subject for a number of years now and the big stumbling block as regards the one big league is getting EL promoters to put on a meeting without the big names and the PL promoters to help out as they are happy with what they have now.

My suggestion has been to have an Elite League (8-10 teams), a British League (all tracks) and a National League (all but the EL tracks) where the young juniors develop.

Its no good saying "You want to ride here, you fly yourself over", it doesnt work like that and it wont, the best way I have always said is to simply stick with the assessed averages of foreign riders. Lets take Hynek Stichauer at Wolves for example. He has been very poor at the start of the season and despite now showing some vast improvement, he will not reach a 3.00 average.

So come 2010 and Should Wolves wish to give him another chance, then fine, bring him in, but still on his 4.00 average, just like Ricky Wells at Coventry. Premier League (British League) teams could then realistically only track thre or four foreign riders at best as all would have at least 8.00 averages.

This would mean all second strings and reserves in the second tier of racing would be British riders and no under achieving foreigners that couldn't hold down a main body place at Stoke or Newport for instance.

The Elite League would have to be run on one night though, just as it is in Poland and Sweden which would suit the top riders, suit Sky and give the lower riders 6 nights free to ride in the lower leagues and / or Sweden or Poland. This can easily be done in the fixtures.

Elite League teams wouldnt have points limits as these tracks would have a British League team. In my example I will use Wolves who could have Tai Woffinden 7.00, Nicolai Klindt 5.50, Ty Proctor 4.50, Hynek Stichauer 4.00, Joe Haines 3.00, a 3.00 junior and two juniors doubling up from the National League. Thats a team average of 30.

For Elite League matches, they would use Woffinden, Klindt, Proctor, Stichauer and Haines alongside any two top liners they have to pick from like Fredrik Lindgren, Peter Karlsson, Emil Sayfutdinov ;) and Adam Skornicki.

Should Woffinden get injured during the season, Skornicki could come in to replace him during EL and BL matches, giving them the option to use PK and Lindgren as the two picks in EL matches. Should Sticky or Haines be injured, then they already have the 3.00 junior and the doubling up pair to use as replacements.

Current PL riders would have their averages divided by 1.5 so a 9.00 Premier League rider would be a 6.00 BL rider.

All this creates a squad system, cuts costs by not using the big money earners as much and gives British riders the chance to progress in the sport.

I know it will go against most peoples opinion but here are my suggestions.

Accept that British Speedway cannot afford top line riders until fans are attracted back to the sport in decent numbers.

Have two full time leagues, the top one set between the current EL standard and PL. The second to bet set between current PL and NL standard. The leagues to have a strict and low points limit the first year (38 maybe).

All British riders to get a 10% allowance.

Year two onward averages set to league winners including any allowance deduction.

Riders retained from previous year to have a further reduction to encourage long term stability in teams.

Any foreign licence holders not allowed to drop under their assessed averages.

Foreign riders taking out a British licence and agreeing to put British fixtures first allowed to ride at their real average.

Half of Sky income allocated to tracks on the number of second half, academy, training sessions that they run.

Do away with loan fees, all transfers to be permanent. Clubs will own their team and look after them for the future (hopefully).

Do away with the tactical rule, tac sub etc and run to the program unless injury prevents it.

Clubs who cannot afford to compete at new league level to be subsidised by the others as development tracks where riders can be trained properly.

Second division to have a rule where any bike can be claimed by any competitor at the end of a meeting for £500 more than the cost of a new machine. That should stop super expensive engines, clutches and carbs being used and level the playing field while reducing costs.

I just can't see the sport surviving unless fans are given the opportunity to bond with a team over the years. This way would also encourage the development of young, British riders.

Hopefully in the long term fans would come back in sufficient numbers to allow the gradual re-introduction of the sports superstars. I don't believe for one minute that many new fans are kept away because Nicki Pedersen etc aren't racing here. Just perhaps the chance to see local lads making the grade will encourage them back. For sure there needs to be a radical change and soon.

I am equally sure my plans have lots of holes in them that will be quickly pointed out but just maybe there is something worth debating.

While i agree with most of this post , the part that suggests that a bike can be claimed at the end of a meeting for £500 more than a cost of a new machine is not on, if a rider has Rich parents 'Uncles Aunt's or who ever, then good luck to them.they should not be penalised because of their financial clout and backing from relatives

Having EL teams running one team in an EL then a weakened one in another League set up against lower Division tracks is similar to what was tryed in the 2003 British League cup which didn't work cause fans of EL tracks stayed away when their team was weakened!

The 3 tier League set up should remain but should instead be formulated like -

A new top flight called the PL featuring the current 9 EL tracks and 7 teams out of the PL. The level of this new top flight would be inbeween the current EL and PL. A minimum of 3 Brits per team.

A new 2nd tier called the NL featuring the reminaing 7 PL tracks + the 4 stronger stand alone tracks out of the current NL + any new tracks reopening. The level of this League would be inbeween the current PL and NL. Any new tracks coming the Leagues wishing to stage senior League racing would have to start in this League and could not jump straight into the top flight. A minimum of 4 Brits per team.

A new 3rd tier called the CL featuring stand alones like Buxton and Sittingbourne that are run at shoestring level and any reserve teams of senior tracks. The level of this League would be below the current ultra strong 3rd tier which would give more Brits a chance and their are many riders about who are capable but can't get into the current NL which is full of doubling up PL rider and others who should be in the PL.

Much of what Vince says in his post is right

Edited by 25yearfan

While i agree with most of this post , the part that suggests that a bike can be claimed at the end of a meeting for £500 more than a cost of a new machine is not on, if a rider has Rich parents 'Uncles Aunt's or who ever, then good luck to them.they should not be penalised because of their financial clout and backing from relatives

I just think that the vast majority of young riders who leave the sport do so because they can't afford to race competitvely any more. This way at least those who get to the top league would do so on riding ability rather than the good fortune of having money available to throw at the game. After all as things are the under-funded riders are penalised heavily by having slower machinery. The £500 should make sure that people are not claiming bikes just because they are well set up.

It would lead to lower costs to riders who would need less wages and could mean more clubs surviving as well.

The issue I have with this is you are in affect asking the bigger Premier League to break up and support the shrinking Elite League with three of their teams? I would actually prefer one big league and throw all teams into the mix, rather than to what appears to be taking away the bigger Premier league tracks that are our crowd pullers.

I agree through some very good pointers. Well done. :approve:

Edited by Deano

I really think that these suggestions could form the basis of a blueprint for domestic speedway. I find it difficult to fault any of the points, as they encourage team stability and a league structure which is set at a realistic level.

The idea of competitors being able to claim a rivals machine / engine is beginning to be used in several forms of motorsport, and is the best overall system to keep costs lower.

Even in todays Elite League, there are very few clubs with the means to afford the top GP riders, quite apart from the fixture chaos that is caused trying to accommodate them. If the fans are not used to seeing them week in, week out, it means that they become a bigger draw when they do ride in this country at prestigious individual meetings, test matches etc.

I would actually prefer one big league and throw all teams into the mix, rather than to what appears to be taking away the bigger Premier league tracks that are our crowd pullers.

And who are the top club's crowd pullers though? I personally don't think one big league would work cos there would be such a disparity of strength in the top and bottoms teams. The main thing is to have teams of similar strengths would could be crowd pullers wherever they go? And teams that the promoters can afford to employ!

The direction that Speedway needs to take in the U.K.

Far to restrictive compared to the tried and tested, and workable system of replacing any out of form rider, with another, on one occasion per rider, when you were 6 points or more down after heat 4....Why on earth did they change that?

[i

The way ahead.

Elite League. - Continue with an Elite League for those that want that, and the TV audiences etc. Raise any points limit restrictions, or rider control to a more realistic level. I often feel like the limit should be set to the strength of the previous seasons champions, so at least they have the chance to defend the title with the same team, and the other clubs will get a bigger crowd when the champions are in town. The other clubs will then be in a position to try to match the Champions.

Wonder if their are other ideas out there :)

It would be nice if the teams could be kept together, especially those that are successful. Most years the top team finishes bottom the next year and the bottom team invariably finishes top just like this season. Not very credible is it. I think though that it might be necessary to make a slight reduction to the strengths of the top end teams say a 2 point reduction to bring them down to 44ish with all teams below 42 being allowed to track a team up to this figure if they so wish. This would then only require teams to change one rider each season thereby keeping together their riders which presumably will help to make the sport much more credible. It would also be nice if the old tactical replacement system could be tried again with perhaps heats 8 and 14 being no go zones and retaining the rule requiring all riders to have at least 3 rides.

I would also suggest that reserves should only be used as replacements if their team is losing.

Edited by barrow boy